ESPN.com crashes firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BeachKeys

Post by BeachKeys »

Working fine for me........

Post by Guest »

Crashes for me. Every time. I got a message saying Shockwave Flash performed an illegal operation and recommended i restart firefox, and then crashed... i don't get that error message anymore, espn.co just crashes.

Are there any bugs posted for this yet? For firefox or flash?

I'm running firefox 1.0.1

with extensions:
dom inspector 1.0
adblock 0.5.2.039
tab x 0.5
sessionSaver .2 d1 *nightly 25
switchProxy Tool 1.3.1
egm

Post by egm »

Interesting finding:

If I click on a link on the espn.com front page before it finishes loading, there's no problem. For example, in the middle of loading the front page, I clicked on Men's College Basketball scores, and I was able to get to that page with no problem.

Apparently, it's a problem specific to the espn.com front page.

Firefox 1.0 also

Post by Guest »

Crashed for me too. Running Firefox 1.0, not 1.01 on TP T23, W2K SP5. Something's up with the banner running up top of the ESPN front page. Was running Thunderbird, Yahoo Messenger, and Winamp when it happened.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

This was the first screw up I've had with 1.01. It's a Flash problem. But I fixed it by doing this:

Go to the Firefox plugins folder, which is where npswf32.dll (Flash) should be. I've got Windows ME, but under folder options make sure you click on "Show hidden files and folders." If you have "Do not show" clicked, you will crash and burn because npswf32.dll is a hidden file, even though it showed up in my folder (don't ask me to explain the rationale for a non-hidden hidden file because I can't.)

Anyway, this worked for me. I just wish it could improve my ESPN Fantasy Golf team.
Lie

Post by Lie »

If you have downloaded and installed FireFox 1.0.1 and you have the AdBlocker extension, ESPN.com crashes. Uninstall the AdBlocker extension and it should work fine. I am now able to load ESPN.com without it giving me an error and crashing.
Lie

Post by Lie »

FireFox needs to fix this problem. I need Ad Blocking.
jameshkong

Post by jameshkong »

It sounds like a Flash problem to me as opposed to firefox and adblock. Perhaps you should try downloading flash player and installing it.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Ditto to what Lie said. I also wish ESPN would stop throwing so much crap on their main page. I stopped going to it long ago. When I was on dial up it would take forever to load, today they've got an ad with a shoe as big as half the page, etc. I mean screw that. I don't want a big foot in my face.
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Adblock and Flashblock have been known to cause problems. I personally use Adblock but have not had any problems with it. Ofcourse, I also have the option for Obj-Tabs unchecked from Adblock. I went to espn.com and have no problems. It has been said before that the firefox devs do not create the extensions and any extension is capable to crashing firefox. Extensions are better thought of as third party software programs that you choose to install at your own risk. An extension can go as far as to completely delete/replace firefox or any other file in your operating system.
alpox

Post by alpox »

add the following filter in your adblock:

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/*

this will stop the crashes. It has something to do with that flash ad that causes the crash.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

ESPN also has this on one of their pages:

WHY DOES MY BROWSER CRASH WHEN I TRY TO ACCESS ESPN.COM?
Make sure you have Flash 5.0 on your computer. To download this version, click on "Install Now" at:

http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/down ... _Version=S

I also often get a box from ESPN that says it is running a script that will slow my browser down if I continue to run it. I always click OK to stop running it. The overal problem, as I see it, is on ESPN's end.
Fwak

Post by Fwak »

alpox wrote:add the following filter in your adblock:

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/*

this will stop the crashes. It has something to do with that flash ad that causes the crash.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This worked WONDERS for me!!!
Chris B.

Post by Guest »

that adblock option, nor the flash 5.0 fixed my problem.

Post by Guest »

Firefox crashes at ESPN.com when I close the offensive NIKE advertisement at the top of the page.