Advanced javascript options (new prefs ui only)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

awesome icon.
0live

Post by 0live »

It's even better now, with a dedicated tab instead of a secondary dialog box. Cheers!

Edit: Aye the icon is nice but a tad too dark (for my crappy monitor only perhaps) I had to increase brightness by a fair amount in order to figure out what it was =)
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

icon looks fine on my computer. must be ur monitor.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Right, almost finished now I think. I have done a newer version but I'm not putting it on the main page yet because I don't know how it will act on non-windows machine. Basically I've added an extra option to it so I've had to play to increase the size of the options dialog, hopefully this doesnt screw things up:

http://www.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/content/firefox/jsoptions/jsoptions-0.7.xpi

If anyone using a non-windows OS could give this a shot and let me know if it works out ok then Ill put it up properly.

Also do people like the options where they are or would it make more sense to put them into an extra pane in the advanced tab?

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i think you should have an advanced button in the content section. similar to the way it was before. right next to the enable javascript checkbox.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

ColdFusion650 wrote:i think you should have an advanced button in the content section. similar to the way it was before. right next to the enable javascript checkbox.

I've taken a look into this, and to be honest I'm unlikely to do it since it looks like it would be a real pain in the neck to do. Possibly this is because I'm very new to this extensions business so maybe I don't know some of the tricks.

Also I would have to overlay what is already an overlay (to do both that or put the options onto the advanced tab), I'm not sure whether thats possible or not but when I jsut tried it I managed to crash Firefox everytime.

So I think right now the options will have to stay where they are.

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

ok. u can already do more than me with extensions (i cant do anything even though i tried on xulplanet.com). it doesnt really matter to me where the options are.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

The new 0.7 version seems to be working fine on Mac OS X.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Thanks powerbook, thats good enough for me :)

Mossop
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Javascript options extension: GREAT!

Post by joeg »

To: mossop

In regard to FF:
I'm using the very latest Beast-Tinderbox (timestamp: firefox.exe: 27.02.05 02:07) -> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050227 Firefox/1.0+

In regard to the (GREAT!) extension (already at version 0.7):
The only "problem" is that I couldn't install it directly from the "Install" link on the page although I had "Allow web sites to install software" activated. Instead, the "Download" dialogue opened, and I downloaded the .xpi and installed it by dragging it on to FF.

It might have something to do with another option that I have (or don't have) selected somewhere, but I'll have to fool around with it for awhile.

As an English teacher who's a real FF fan but really nothing but a computer wannabe, I am happy to say for the record that I stand in awe of all the people who work so hard to make FF a great browser. My thanks to "Dave?" for this cool extension.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

I have FF v1.0.1 installed...what do you mean "people are complaining that the advanced javascript settings do not exist". I still have an "Advanced..." button for advanced javascript options in my Options dialog. What's this extension for...please forgive my ignorance. :)
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Bloodeye wrote:I have FF v1.0.1 installed...what do you mean "people are complaining that the advanced javascript settings do not exist". I still have an "Advanced..." button for advanced javascript options in my Options dialog. What's this extension for...please forgive my ignorance. :)

FF v1.0.1 is the latest stable release of Firefox. Many of us are testing the so-called nightlies that contain new features and works in progress that will appear in FF v1.1. One of those new features is a redesigned options dialog.

Nightlies can give you a look at whats coming up in FF, but they also generally contain lots of bugs and they aren't for the faint of heart.

Mossop
Mossop

Re: Javascript options extension: GREAT!

Post by Mossop »

JoeG wrote:The only "problem" is that I couldn't install it directly from the "Install" link on the page although I had "Allow web sites to install software" activated. Instead, the "Download" dialogue opened, and I downloaded the .xpi and installed it by dragging it on to FF.

Yeah I just tested it and that does appear to be the case. Some oddity on my website, I'll take a look into it later this afternoon. Cheers for letting me know.

JoeG wrote:As an English teacher who's a real FF fan but really nothing but a computer wannabe, I am happy to say for the record that I stand in awe of all the people who work so hard to make FF a great browser. My thanks to "Dave?" for this cool extension.

Always nice to receive praise :D

Mossop
Mossop

Re: Javascript options extension: GREAT!

Post by Mossop »

mossop wrote:
JoeG wrote:The only "problem" is that I couldn't install it directly from the "Install" link on the page although I had "Allow web sites to install software" activated. Instead, the "Download" dialogue opened, and I downloaded the .xpi and installed it by dragging it on to FF.

Yeah I just tested it and that does appear to be the case. Some oddity on my website, I'll take a look into it later this afternoon. Cheers for letting me know.

I think I've sorted that, though I found I needed to clear my cache before FF would notice the change.

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

are going to host previous versions on ur sight? i kind of prefer 0.6 to 0.7 so that the window doesnt have to be enlarged.