FF 19 - transperent bookmark menu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RedPirate

FF 19 - transperent bookmark menu

Post by RedPirate »

I've updated to 19 a few hours ago and since then I've noticed that sometimes when I open the bookmark menu it's transparent - I see the outline of the bookmark list but not the links.
TerraEpon

Re: FF 19 - transperent bookmark menu

Post by TerraEpon »

I have the problem too, though it's not just bookmarks, it's sometimes specific live bookmarks, or tools, or even the context menu (and sometimes the context menu is out of proportion....it's weird).

I assume it's an add on, but this isn't really the easiest one to figure out since it's so random.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If in your Windows Control Panel Display settings ...you have Enable Transparency in the Window color settings... that can cause strange viewing at times... I have mine unchecked and never have those problems.

Check by right-click on your desktop, click on Personalize, then click on Window color (at the bottom) ... see what you have checked.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TerraEpon

Post by TerraEpon »

Not enabled here. Dunno why that would make a difference when it's clearly something with FF19.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Using any of that Persona stuff? ... or, just your basic theme?
RedPirate

Post by RedPirate »

I'm using the default skin. Regardless, I've changed nothing on my PC in over a month. The only new thing is the FF 19. Should I downgrade back to 18 for now?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

For both of you... is it the "real" transparency that you would see if you were using that Windows setting or does it just look like some stuff is kind of missing? ... Maybe a screen-shot would help... and if that is the only issue that you have I wouldn't downgrade your version. Also, it could be a extension acting up.

See: Posting_a_screenshot_on_the_forum.
Posting a screenshot on the forum - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Use a compressed image format like .png or .jpg and please do not post large images that break the forum layout, use thumbnails instead or only post a link.
If you need a place to host a screenshot... Note the "Uploading for general use" section of the document.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

This usually means your graphics hardware is not compatible with the current version of Firefox. In Options > Advanced > General, uncheck Use Hardware Acceleration when available. You might also try looking for updates to your graphics drivers.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
TerraEpon

Post by TerraEpon »

I have mine off. Both the Windows setting of transparency and the FF setting of use hardware acceleration
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I would give this a try to see what happens.... or, post your extensions here and maybe somebody will see something...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.

(option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* Disables Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.
c1723925

Re: FF 19 - transparent bookmark menu

Post by c1723925 »

I have the same problem with FF19 (pic on the left). I'm back to 18.02 (right) and this solves it completely.
ImageImage

Hardware acceleration is off since its introduction. I'm using gazillions of addons, but there is no hickup with 18.02 or any older version, so with this glitch only occurring in FF19, I tend to blame FF. My GPU is a nVidia GTX480 with the latest WHQL driver.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

While I sympathize with users who are experiencing this problem with transparent menus, I wouldn't advise anyone to revert to FF18 because there are a number of security vulnerabilities present in that version which were fixed in FF19.0. See Security Advisory for Firefox 19.0

The best thing to do at the moment if you don't want to upgrade to 19.0 is to uninstall it, or uninstall 18.0.2 if you already have that and then download 17.0.3 ESR (Extended Support Release) which contains all the security and bug fixes present in the current version. You can get that from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html
c1723925

Post by c1723925 »

I absolutely agree it is a better idea to go back to a fully patched browser. I did it the other way round, I installed first 20b1 and then 22a1, to see if this error will pop up in future versions. Sadly it does in both foxes. Seems to me this is something for BugZilla?

On my system this problem only occurs in the bookmarks toolbar menu and in perhaps 80% of all occasions. Strangely, the window "under" this menu is rendered correctly most of the times. I only experienced 2 or 3 times a transparent submenu. In 22a1 it looks like this
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

c1723925 wrote:I absolutely agree it is a better idea to go back to a fully patched browser. I did it the other way round, I installed first 20b1 and then 22a1, to see if this error will pop up in future versions. Sadly it does in both foxes. Seems to me this is something for BugZilla?

I would suggest adding your own experiences along with your screenshots to this bug which was filed yesterday: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=844255
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

No your problem is different because your problem start in Firefox19.
Please file a new separate bug.