After Update to Firefox 19, can't open link in new window

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
foxerator

After Update to Firefox 19, can't open link in new window

Post by foxerator »

When my Firefox updates to Firefox 19, I then can't open a link in a new window. The open link in new tab option works fine, and I can open links in new tabs. I went back to version 18 and everything works fine. But every so often Firefox updates to version 19, and then I'm back to no links in a new window. I like firefox and want to keep using it, but I need to open links in a new window. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
dfoulkes

Re: After Update to Firefox 19, can't open link in new windo

Post by dfoulkes »

Do this and then while in that mode see if you can open stuff in a new window...Then get back to us...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.

(option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* Disables Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

foxerator wrote:When my Firefox updates to Firefox 19, I then can't open a link in a new window. The open link in new tab option works fine, and I can open links in new tabs. I went back to version 18 and everything works fine. But every so often Firefox updates to version 19, and then I'm back to no links in a new window. I like firefox and want to keep using it, but I need to open links in a new window. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

If you use the layout with the oblong, orange Firefox button top left, hit ALT+T to open the "Tools' menu and go to Options | Tabs menu. Then remove the checkmark from the box at the top.
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

Thanks for your reply, dfoulkes. I tried it in safe mode and now I can open a link in a new window. What does that mean? What do I do now?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Note the list above of what safe-mode temp-disables. At times that Hardware Acceleration item causes many strange things to happen... so, you could try that first... Tools/Options .. Advanced Tab... General Tab... if the box for it has a check-mark in it... un-check it.... you may have to restart Firefox after doing that.

But, most likely your problem is with an extension (or non-default theme)... and about the only way to find the problem one is to start Firefox in normal mode, disable the non-default theme... if you use one... and restart FF then test... and/or disable 1/2 of your extensions, restart FF... test .. if the problem goes away then enable 1/2 of that 1/2... restart, test etc... until you find the one causing the problem... same goes for the other half.

I would start with any Tab related extensions first though.
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

Arrgh! I disabled hardware acceleration and tried to restart. Now firefox won't even open. There's no way to get back into the options menu to reenable hardware acceleration! What can I do to get firefox to start so I can put it back the way it was so I can check the extensions?
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

Scratch that last problem. I discovered that firefox was still running in the background so I ended the process in task manager and then was able to start firefox again. But disabling hardware acceleration didn't solve the problem so I'm now checking the extensions.
Thanks for the advice.
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

This is getting to be a complicated problem. I was going to disable the theme, but when I went to open the add-ons menu, it wouldn't open. Is there some other way to open the add-ons menu? It must have something to do with not being able to open links in a new window. I just had a thought. Maybe if I go back into safe mode I'll be able to open the menu. I'll try that and let you know how I made out.
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

Didn't work. All the extensions are disabled in safe mode, but when I go back to the regular mode, all the extensions will be restored. What can I do to access the add-ons menu?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Have you tried Ctrl+Shift+A or entering about:addons in the address bar ?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

foxerator wrote:Didn't work. All the extensions are disabled in safe mode, but when I go back to the regular mode, all the extensions will be restored. What can I do to access the add-ons menu?

Get back into safe-mode and then get into the addons mgr... then you can click on the Disable for each of those extensions/theme or ?? ... then close Firefox and start up in normal mode to see how it goes.

The fact that you still had a Firefox running when you tried to start it up may be that you either tried to restart it too fast (depending what was going on at the time of that close may cause Firefox some time to close out) ... or maybe a bad extension did it... and, some AV products cause hangs too..
foxerator

Post by foxerator »

I was able to get into add-ons manager to disable the extensions. I tracked it down to the Speedbit Downloader. I disabled it and all works well. I uninstalled the Speedbit Downloader. That was something I had planned to do anyway. Thanks for your help. Don't know why it waited until version 19 to act up, but all seems to be working fine now. Thanks again.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Don't know why it waited until version 19 to act up

Probably because the author has something screwed up in the code and can't work with 19... but does work with earlier stuff...

You're Welcome! :D
beijer

Post by beijer »

I got exactly the some problem. Incl. not being able to access the add ons menu, no new windows to be opened. I do not have this downloader add on on my computer as an add on, so it must be another add-on with same (basic) problem. Maybe something to work on for as well the Firefox coders as for the add-ons compatibility check while installing a new version of Firefox?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Wellll.... you seem to be using a Beta version of Firefox (22) as opposed to the "official-latest" release (21) and by using that version (since it's still in the works) it could very will have bugs in it.

Did you try anything from above?