zone alarm hijacked my search

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
josienyc

zone alarm hijacked my search

Post by josienyc »

Recently and I have no idea why, when I type into the search bar, or a wrong url it goes to zone alarm search terms where before it was google. I have not clue why or how to get rid of this. I have uninstalled Zone alarm, I do not have the tool bar and it is still there, anyone have any ideas. The zone alarm says they can't help cause they do not support ff 18 or 19
JayhawksRock

Re: zone alarm hijacked my search

Post by JayhawksRock »

Try this... type about:config in the address bar and enter. When the tab opens type or copy and paste browser.search into the search area at the top. When the result appears, for any line where the value in the status column is "user set" right click on the line and choose "Reset"

Close the tab and see if the search is done by Google.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
josienyc

Post by josienyc »

did that but it did not help, any other ideas
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Is the toolbar actually gone? Check Addons > Plugins section and see if anything from ZA is there. Plus check your Windows programs list and see if anything related to Zone Alarm is there. If nothing there then the only other thing to check is the Windows registry.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

See this. http://www.ehow.com/how_5822073_remove- ... l-bar.html

It appears to be the ask.com toolbar in one form or another.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
josienyc

Post by josienyc »

I would like to make it clear that it is not the tool bar. This comes up when I type in the address bar. I would include a screen shot but I do not how to get it in here. I have removed all files having to do with checkpoint and or zonealarm with the exception of zonealarm.xmlC:\i386 as I do not know quite what that is. Any one, can you tell me.
I did read the link that was posted and it is not applicable, unfortuantely but thanks.
Anything else anyone can suggest
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this link for information on posting a screen shot -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Did you run the official Zone Alarm removal tool? I think thats the only way to get rid of the program and the large number of entries in the Window registry.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5402- ... aller.html
https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showth ... -tool-2011
josienyc

Post by josienyc »

I know how to make a screenshot I just do not know how to make it appear here
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
josienyc

Post by josienyc »

I ran the clean.exe to take out zonealarm and I still have the same issue. I read all the way thru and here is a screen shot of what I am now getting. it isn't what I copied but you can see the big Z. the image of what I actually get is too small to see

I
I use to get just google with viable information and or suggested sites if I typed in an incomplete url now I get these useless search terms.
I am about to give up.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This posted image is too small to be of use but try resetting the location bar search default as described in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search
josienyc

Post by josienyc »

THANK YOU THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER, that fixed it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.