PDF documents in FF 19

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

PDF documents in FF 19

Post by Ed1 »

Some websites, such as the IRS site, have fill-in, savable PDF versions of forms. When using FF 19 to access tax forms that are fill-in type, they display (within a FF new tab) as non-fill-in documents that are not savable, along with a FF notation that the document may not be displaying correctly and suggesting that they be opened with another PDF reader. If I select Adobe Reader, the form then displays in fill-in, savable form as intended.

Is this just the way that FF handles this type of PDF document format, or is there a way to have FF display fill-in PDF's properly within the browser?
RobertJ

Re: PDF documents in FF 19

Post by RobertJ »

Ed1 wrote:Is this just the way that FF handles this type of PDF document format, or is there a way to have FF display fill-in PDF's properly within the browser?

You presently can't do it. It is planned but no firm target.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
costark

Post by costark »

Funny you mention this. I think/hope you face what I just discovered and posted on - my FX 19 Defaulted to Tools/Options/Apps making the (5th line for me: PDF) be "PREVIEW in FIREFOX.
Once I chg'd it to "Use Acrobat" my PDF viewing issue disappeared.
Check your Apps Settings for PDF, NOT JUST the ADOBE lines (as I mistakenly did).
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

costark wrote:Funny you mention this. I think/hope you face what I just discovered and posted on - my FX 19 Defaulted to Tools/Options/Apps making the (5th line for me: PDF) be "PREVIEW in FIREFOX.
Once I chg'd it to "Use Acrobat" my PDF viewing issue disappeared.
Check your Apps Settings for PDF, NOT JUST the ADOBE lines (as I mistakenly did).

costark, in those settings I see options only for Adobe Acrobat within Firefox, and Adobe Reader. It was set to Adobe Acrobat within Firefox. I changed the setting to Adobe Reader.

No change in behavior at all. The fill in PDF forms still do not display as fill-in type and the FF message about selecting another reader still appears.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

costark, I apologize. I made the same mistake you did! Once I changed the PDF line to Use Acrobat in Firefox, the form displays correctly and the problem disappears.

Thank you very much.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Here is a screenshot showing how to find and change the setting in the Firefox Options Applications settings, in case it helps others who read this thread:

Alice Wyman
costark

Post by costark »

I survive computers off other people's expertise/kindness so it's nice to Pay It Forward when able.
Hopefully, a Firefox Moderator/Staff-er will note this Impractical FX 19 Default Setting for PDF (that trashes the Prior Setting, at least for Some of us) and Allow old PDF settings to remain at upgrade.
Last edited by costark on February 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

costark wrote:Hopefully, a Firefox Big Shot will note this Impractical FX 19 Default Setting for PDF (that trashes the Prior Setting, at least for Some of us) and Allow old PDF settings to remain at upgrade.

No Big Shots here :D > http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
costark

Post by costark »

JayhawksRock wrote:
costark wrote:Hopefully, a Firefox Big Shot will note this Impractical FX 19 Default Setting for PDF (that trashes the Prior Setting, at least for Some of us) and Allow old PDF settings to remain at upgrade.

No Big Shots here :D > http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Though "person with high influence" was the intended use, I changed it up just as you posted. Surely someone at the Forum knows someone at Mozilla.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

costark wrote:Surely someone at the Forum knows someone at Mozilla.

Not that I know of.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6