[Ext] Bookmarks menu v.1.12

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
hatdi

[Ext] Bookmarks menu v.1.12

Post by hatdi »

Bookmarks menu v.1.12: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12016

A simple add-on with a toolbar button that displays some particular or all of your bookmarks.

Some requests/responses so far:
Good and simple addon, but still has some bugs.

1. It opens bookmarks in new tab in background on middle-click (should in foreground)
2. Bookmarks don't have context menus.
said Andrey Lokot

well the first: is not actually a bug but made on purpose, as when you press middle-click on a link (it opens in background).
Sure on Firefox bookmarks menu opens in foreground.
I may change it or better add this as an option.
2: it's a good idea, again not a bug but a feature :)

Also nice if I have "Open all in tabs" for each sub-folders. said Masashi Fujita
Good idea to implement.

Also another idea (mine this time) is when installing the button installs (in toolbar) the first time firefox starts.

I may say here, all started in my mind as a simple add-on and sure it's getting... say, more insteresting :)
hatdi

Re: [Ext] Bookmarks menu v.1.12

Post by hatdi »

Add-on has been updated with the above features to version 1.21
I have two reviews with problems, the one saying only that firefox crashed after 1hr and another one saying that firefox crashed on folder change (on bookmarks toolbar) and no other info.

I tested the last one by changing, moving, adding folders to bookmarks toolbar (and items inside folders) but could not reproduce the bug. Everything worked properly.

So if anyone has some related problem, please send me your feedback here with details on how the problem occurred, in order to solve that issue.

Thanks.
another_sam

Post by another_sam »

I am not sure but is it possible that the add-on sometimes causes Firefox to use 100% of CPU? It happened to me 3 times just after install it. Then I disabled it and the problem ceased.

Now I just enabled it again. Will see what happens.
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

I had a similar problem but not with my addon.
It was Firebug that used big CPU load (when enabled in some particular sites).
If you also have Firebug installed check it out.

It seems that Firefox from version 3.5 has problems with some addons.
another_sam

Post by another_sam »

Hi.

I don't have Firebug.

After enabling your add-on it happened again, quite randomly though. It can be when the window gets focused, or while typing text, or while selecting text, ... it seems that it does not follow a pattern based on what the user does.

Moreover, is quite strange that I am the only user with this problem with your exact add-on, because the frequency with which the almost-hang happens is noticeably high. And, above all, your add-on only runs code on load and on click over the "Options" button.

So, never mind. I'll post here what was going on if I ever know.

And of course, thank you anyway for your add-on!
manutremo

Post by manutremo »

You are not alone. I'm having the exact same problems with this plugin, Firefox randmly freezes for some random amount of time. The solution is uninstalling this plugin. Pity, as I really liked it.
manutremo

Post by manutremo »

You are not alone. I'm having the exact same problems with this plugin, Firefox randmly freezes for some random amount of time. The solution is uninstalling this plugin. Pity, as I really liked it.
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

It would be nice if the displayed popup menu is constructed from the actual Bookmarks Toolbar. That way modifications by other extensions will be preserved.
lucette

Post by lucette »

i hatdi

thanks for this great button

in a next realease, will it be possible to drag and drop from the favicon of url bar to bookmarks menu button to save a bookmark?

it would be nice
Last edited by lucette on May 3rd, 2011, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

When I had Bookmarks Menu 1.32 installed in FF4, Firefox froze almost immediately after opening the browser. I don't know if it a problem with this extension or an extension conflict with my others. But memory use rose rapidly and continuously and the browser froze right away.

A new profile (with all of my extensions installed) didn't help. Problem disappeared upon uninstalling Bookmarks Menu.
johnsmith112

Post by johnsmith112 »

Hello hatdi,

I use Bookmarks menu with Firefox 3.6.17, very happy with it.
Is it possible to hide both the button text and the down arrow, for example via userChrome.css?

I'd like to have only a small button in front of the address bar

Thanks for your help,

Marc
akwala

Post by akwala »

Ed1 wrote:When I had Bookmarks Menu 1.32 installed in FF4, Firefox froze almost immediately after opening the browser. I don't know if it a problem with this extension or an extension conflict with my others. But memory use rose rapidly and continuously and the browser froze right away.

A new profile (with all of my extensions installed) didn't help. Problem disappeared upon uninstalling Bookmarks Menu.

I saw this too in FF4 on linux a few weeks ago.
--aslamK
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

FF hangs for more than a minute when importing my html bookmarks file (about 1400 bookmarks).
It also hangs when trying to delete 3 folders (200 bookmarks).

Bookmarks menu 1.4, tested on a new FF 20 beta NEW profile
my places.sqlite size - 10M (Firefox minimum size)

(from the developer comments)
"If you have problem when adding this add-on with CPU load, please check your bookmarks for invalid - or not working urls (including live bookmarks) and remove them.
This add-on observes for bookmarks changes (in order to have up-to-date information) and Firefox keeps checking those invalid bookmarks and all that concludes to CPU load."

So I ran checkplaces 2.6.2 - deleted all problematic bookmarks. (I have no live bookmarks).
I also ran Places Maintenance 1.3
It didn't help. The problems continue.

But the problems continue.
hatdi

Post by hatdi »

LL25255252 wrote:FF hangs for more than a minute when importing my html bookmarks file (about 1400 bookmarks).
It also hangs when trying to delete 3 folders (200 bookmarks).

Bookmarks menu 1.4, tested on a new FF 20 beta NEW profile
my places.sqlite size - 10M (Firefox minimum size)

(from the developer comments)
"If you have problem when adding this add-on with CPU load, please check your bookmarks for invalid - or not working urls (including live bookmarks) and remove them.
This add-on observes for bookmarks changes (in order to have up-to-date information) and Firefox keeps checking those invalid bookmarks and all that concludes to CPU load."

So I ran checkplaces 2.6.2 - deleted all problematic bookmarks. (I have no live bookmarks).
I also ran Places Maintenance 1.3
It didn't help. The problems continue.

But the problems continue.

So the problem started when you imported some html bookmarks?
and now happens (even after removing the invalid ones) when starting Firefox?
Also how many bookmarks you have?
and are you sure you have not any invalid there?
In 'Bookmarks menu' options your option is 'Just Bookmarks Toolbar items' ?
Sorry for asking so many questions but can't help otherwise
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

I've created a NEW profile (with no bookmarks). Then installed ONLY Bookmarks menu 1.4. FF began to hang immediately after i started to import an html file which contains 1400 bookmarks.
Then I've killed FF process.
Then Run FF again. Disabled Bookmarks Menu 1.4 . Restarted FF . Then imported the file (it took 2 seconds). Then I enabled Bookmarks Menu . Restarted FF. Clicked the toolbar button of the addon and all the bookmarks were displayed immediately (no hanging). Then I've opened the built-in bookmarks library window (show all bookmarks). Then I selected 3 folders (total of 100 bookmarks). When i tried to delete these selected folders FF started to hang again.

So I killed FF. launched FF. disabled the addon. run checkplaces 2.6.2 and deleted all problematic bookmarks. I also ran Places Maintenance 1.3 . Then I enabled the addon again.Restarted FF. When I tried to delete these 3 folders FF hanged again.

and are you sure you have not any invalid there?
- No I'm not sure.
In 'Bookmarks menu' options your option is 'Just Bookmarks Toolbar items' ?
- No, I've checked the "both" box.
Sorry for asking so many questions but can't help otherwise
- happy to help.