Web Compatibility

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Tanner1294

Web Compatibility

Post by Tanner1294 »

I love Camino for it's performance and reliability but I can't use it anymore. I keep running into websites that don't allow you to use them without something newer than FireFox 4 which is what Camino's based around. Websites like Windows Live and Windows SkyDrive for instance. And now even YouTube's useless since the Flash plugin is blocked by default (I've tinkered around in the about:config and I can't get it to activate still). I would use YouView or MacTubes but on occasion I don't mind watching a 2 minute video using 360p in Flash.

Is Camino starting to die out? Or will the developers eventually switch to a newer version of FireFox?
HDMW

Re: Web Compatibility

Post by HDMW »

Hello :
My experience with Camino is exactly the opposite. My reading takes me to many sites daily which I use two or three hours a day. I've not run into a problem of any kind. As far as I'm concerned Camino is perfect as it is.

Before upgrading to v 2.1.2 I had problems with a number of sites I visited daily because embedded video clips would not work. I particularly like the way Camino now handles embedded video.

With other browsers a page with many embedded clips loads slowly. The following is an example : http://www.ezralevant.com/

Instead of the start button and the beginning image of the embedded movie, there's a blank frame and an "f" icon. The rest of the page and clip place holders load very quickly. If I decide to view the clip, I press the icon and the start button appears. Pressing that starts the download. I believe this approach means I download less which is important if volume is restricted as it is with a satellite connection.

I particularly like the Bookmarks Menu. Mine contains 31 folders each of which contains many items. Daily items reside in the Bookmarks Bar. A perfect setup which Safari ignores.

I've replaced the standard GUI icons with "Safariesque Rounded" so the interface is even less obtrusive.
I note also Camino supports CSS3 (see http://nicolasgallagher.com/pure-css-speech-bubbles/) which apparently is not supported by some mainstream browsers.

I've used iCab for some years. However, it's far too complicated. And I never seem to get it set up properly which means I tend to run into problems from time to time. Safari is merely irritating.

The key advantage of Camino is elegant, well-thought-out simplicity.

Best Wishes : Hubert Wagner
Darnac, France
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Tanner1294 wrote:I keep running into websites that don't allow you to use them without something newer than FireFox 4 which is what Camino's based around.

It's actually based on (using) the Firefox 3.6 rendering engine, not the Firefox 4 version.

Is Camino starting to die out? Or will the developers eventually switch to a newer version of FireFox?

The problem is that the tools to embed the rendering engine for Camino are no longer being maintained by the Firefox developers, so it's getting harder and harder for the Camino people to continue.

http://caminobrowser.org/blog/ <== Scroll down to the post entitled "The Future of Camino"
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

I have noticed that on the Mozilla website, Camino is not in the list of "Projects". This is a shame, considering the slowness of ALL mozilla-based products… except Camino.
LarsS

Post by LarsS »

Tanner1294 - yes, it seems that it's dying out. I keep coming back to these pages on regular basis hoping to find out that new solutions, time and energy has magically occurred. But so far it seems like nothing is going to happen. I'm just a user and have no programming skills. I agree, the best browser ever!