Why Camino

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Meyvn

Post by Meyvn »

Btw, for anyone who is interested, there's a nice though slightly outdated shootout of the nine Mac browsers by Arstechnica here: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/mac-browsers.ars/1

And btw, on the command line comment, the idea is to have a balance between the features and the memory/CPU usage, obviously. At least for those of us who even bother with browsers like Camino and Firefox. If we wanted only functionality we'd just get Mozilla. If we wanted only efficiency we'd just make our own damned command line browser. I mean, aside from the fact that Safari and IE can't render a lot of things properly, the balance of speed and functionality is the whole reason alternate browsers exist.
Lost User 18071

Post by Lost User 18071 »

Camino is my favorite because it is the "underprivileged" of all Mac browsers. Camino looks great with my theme [ Dark Glass ] because Safari doesn't change with the theme. I have High-Speed Internet but when I used to had dial-up, Camino always been very fast and very cool with sites. I have tried all Mac browsers such as icab, Opera and Omniweb and well...Camino is still my favorite and Mozilla is my second browser. In my book, Firefox sucks! Yes I know that Camino needs some work with bugs and other things but remember when there used to been ONLY Netscape and Explorer. I believe that all web browsers should be free, whoever pays for Omniweb or icab must be dumb or something. Sometmes I do praise God for having people as Japser to keep Camino alive, if there wasn't a guy like Japser around I probably would have Mozilla as my main browser. Speed doesn't matter as well as you have DSL High-Speed.

Christian
valkraider

Post by valkraider »

Here is another (possibly more recent) browser comparison:
<a href="http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html.">http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html</a>

Informational purposes only, as there is no magic bullet for testing browser performance.

I will note, however, that the latest nightlies of Camino are MUCH faster than the last "official" release. With Quartz and the other performance enhancements (like Flash handling and such) it is a very very quick browser now. Additionally there are G3, G4, and G5 optimized builds to eek out as much performance as possible.

I am very happy with the latest nightlies of Camino. Very.
gdm

Post by gdm »

valkraider wrote:I am very happy with the latest nightlies of Camino. Very.

Yep, me too. I still have Omniweb set as my main browser (I love workspaces, site-specific preferences and "movable" tabs, but I loathe the slowness), but with the speed and stability of the latest nightlies I find that I'm using Camino more and more.
jrlanders

Browser Preferences

Post by jrlanders »

I prefer Camino, too, and it is my OS X browser of choice for two reasons: It is faster than Safari and it looks better. To me, those are two powerful reasons to prefer it, even though I like a couple of things Seamonkey does. I still can't log on to my bank's website because of the way Camino implements Javascript (at least, I think it is the way Javascript it implemented in Camino, because I have Javascript turned on and my bank keeps telling me to turn it on, which is pretty difficult to do when it's already turned on)so I use Seamonkey or Safari to log on to my bank's website. I do like the email integration of Seamonkey, but Thunderbird is an adequate email alternative.

I use Mozilla browsers and support them with donations because I want to encourage competition. Microsoft has shown the torpor that creeps into an organization when there's little competition. Mozilla speaks my language, and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and support it.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

The JavaScript implementation in Camino should be identical to that in SeaMonkey (in 0.8.x equiv to Sm 1.7.x, and in 0.8+ to 1.8a/b). If you're having a problem in Camino and not SeaMonkey, it's a bug of some sort and you should report it.

Or there's something else strange going on, like cookies or bad browser sniffing....
jrlanders

Browser Preference

Post by jrlanders »

After reading the messages in this forum, I downloaded the latest Camino nightly (3/11) and installed it. Then I successfully logged on to my bank's website with no problems. Whatever was troubling my bank's acceptance of my version of Camino 0.8.2 has been cleared up by the latest nightly. Until I read the messages in this forum, I didn't know there was such a thing as a nightly. Much obliged for the information & thanks.
ronin65

Re: Browser Preference

Post by ronin65 »

jrlanders wrote:After reading the messages in this forum, I downloaded the latest Camino nightly (3/11) and installed it. Then I successfully logged on to my bank's website with no problems. Whatever was troubling my bank's acceptance of my version of Camino 0.8.2 has been cleared up by the latest nightly. Until I read the messages in this forum, I didn't know there was such a thing as a nightly. Much obliged for the information & thanks.

Your bank may also have quit looking for IE at the login. Some web sites are set up that way and if you grumble at them they can change it so that any compatible browser will work.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Why Camino? Because of <a href="http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000567035860/">stuff like this</a>.

Upgrading your browser should not require someone to post detailed instructions. Whatever happened to a simple drag-n-drop, click replace, and move on?

cl
Echidnae

Post by Echidnae »

cflawson wrote:Why Camino? Because of <a href="http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000567035860/">stuff like this</a>.

Upgrading your browser should not require someone to post detailed instructions. Whatever happened to a simple drag-n-drop, click replace, and move on?

cl

From the article wrote:Mac users

1. Visit www.mozilla.org and click on the Free Download link and select Save to Disk in the resulting dialog.
2. When the download is complete, quit Firefox by selecting the Quit Firefox item on the Firefox menu.
3. Double-click on the Firefox 1.0.1.dmg file.
4. When the disk image has been opened and mounted, drag Firefox into your Applications folder.
5. When prompted to overwrite the existing Firefox, press OK.
6. Launch Firefox and verify that you have the new version by selecting About Mozilla Firefox from the Firefox menu. You should see Firefox version 1.0.1.
7. At this point, you may wish to drag the Firefox 1.0.1.dmg file and Firefox disk image to the trash.

Isn't that just a fancy way of explaining a drag and drop, though?
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Indeed. And atm, there's an extra step for Camino since we're still using .dmg.gz instead of internally-compressed .dmg like Fx Tb etc. Although that's negated by Camino not having to use a dialogue demanding we click "save to disk"....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
OttoMann

Post by OttoMann »

Out of curiosity I modified my build script so I could also build Firefox in an objdir alongside my Camino builds, to give it a try.

I browsed my normal sites, so far so good, let's keep going, speed is slower but still decent, and so forth. Then I encountered a page with form elements and buttons ... :( yikes!

*THAT'S* why I use Camino instead of Firefox. Aqua widgets, combined with the speed advantage of Camino.
MarkDilley

Post by MarkDilley »

johhhn wrote:i've used camino for a long time now-- way before it was camino in fact.. if my memory serves correctly, back when safari was still a PR?? anyway, for a long arse time nonetheless :D

to give you an idea of how much i love it-- i've put up with the crashing, the annoying bugs.. ok, VERY annoying bugs.. :cough: drag bookmark quadrupling feature and the click away from bookmark folder loading all my tabs feature:cough: :D anyway.. through all of the instability, etc., i've used it and continue to use it..

sure, it sucks when i have several windows open, each with several tabs, and then bam, the wonderful beachball visits,, but for whatever reason-- and this is probably the MAIN reason, Camino, just *feels* right.. it really does.. i do use Safari from time to time when something doesn't work right in Camino,, but Camino is what I use mainly every single day..

but ya, Camino feels like it *belongs* in OS X.. for whatever reason, Safari just doesn't seem right.... I get tempted to switch to Safari full time (for the added stability), but everytime i use Safari (couples times a day at most) i'm reminded quickly that it feels wrong and out of place..

i pray that Camino continues to be developed on!! :D

I agree! I love it and have used it through some awful bugs, but it has been worth it! Thanks to everyone who works on this fine software.
DanHep

Post by DanHep »

Unlike some of the earlier posts, I've encountered two financial sites that don't work with Safari but will work with Camino. One of them (my primary banking site) is now Safari-compatible, but the CashEdge screen scraper used by Vanguard will not work with "Apple browsers", most notably Safari. I discovered that this site works fine with Camino. One function, however, failed and Vanguard tech support gave me a work-around using Firefox (requiring the about:config URL) so I d/l it, made the change and was able to do my task. I do much prefer Camino's look to Firefox, but I keep both Camino and Safari windows open in case a site craps on one or the other. I also keep IE around but not open as another check if a site doesn't look right in the other two.

BTW - is there a Camino equivalent to the about:config approach in FF?
japser
Camino Developer

Post by japser »

DanHelp, there is and with 0.9 I hoep we will have an additional prefpane one can install that will be much like about:config. For the time being all you need to do is place that same pref in a file called user.js in your camino profile/preference folder.
—:0-0:— jasperhauser.nl

<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/weblog/">japser's blog</a>
<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/">Jasper Hauser icon design</a>