Does Fx 22 nightly look too large?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

Re: Does Fx 22 nightly look too large?

Post by streetwolf »

Here's what I did to get things back to normal.... again.

Set the pref to 1.0.

grab this add-on Theme Font & Size Changer and use it to change the font size of chrome text. I use 15 (my OS dpi is 120).
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Thank you
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
avixaqo

Post by avixaqo »

This is the correct way to go, as high PPI screens will start to become more common, however they definitely should have moved icons to svg before landing this patch.
Also, I can't even get svgs in websites to scale correctly with just simply zooming around (scales perfectly only at 100% and max zoom, everything else is a blurry mess), so Mozilla has to think about fixing the remaining svg/image scaling issues.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

I'm not against zooming content from websites (like in IE) but, the Firefox UI is pretty ugly with these blurry icons and tab borders.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

If Fx wants to use the OS dpi than I'm fine with that. A well designed app will base it's look on the OS dpi and serve up correct size text and higher resolution graphics to meet the larger dpi. If a text/graphics look too large they just need to scale them down. Seems for now Fx just scales up everything to the OS dpi.

Favicons come from the web page you have bookmarked. Most are 16x16 harking back to the days when 96dpi was the norm for the smaller monitors at the time. Fx buttons can be redesigned to scale up to the dpi and look clear.

The chrome should be easy enough to scale properly. Content, OTOH, is in the hands of the Web Designer. They must include graphics for larger dpi monitors to have clear web pages.

I have plenty of apps that use the OS dpi to scale things. If they all did it the way Fx is doing it at this point they would look terrible. It's up to the programmer to tailor his/her app to the dpi just as it's up to the Fx devs to tailor the chrome if not the content too.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Meph wrote:
Guys, there is no way your going to convince me that what I see on my screen, with the DPI patch, is acceptable. The ability to change DPI in Windows was primarily to address readability on large screen monitors. The normal DPI of 96 is just to small. Think of this... how come Window apps all scale correctly? I don't have any apps that produce over sized text or blurry images. Yes, at one time many apps never took into account anything above 96DPI but that has been corrected for the most part. Some older apps may still have text problems at 120DPI.

That's because you're using the 125% scaling, which has a strange quirk where it doesn't scale everything.

well, iirc that's what vista offers so I've been using it. (And I suspect I am using the same value on win7) Is there a choice in that range that works "better"?

Meph wrote:
streetwolf wrote:XP scaling is provided as a means to accommodate programs that are not DPI aware. Ideally all programs should be DPI aware and this option should be left unchecked. However, if you do this you will come across many apps that all of a sudden will have fuzzy text. CCleaner is such a program. Fx appears to have DPI awareness because it doesn't become fuzzy.

By the way, are you aware that you can enable the XP scaling for particular apps by right-clicking on the shortcut for it, going to properties and the compatibility tab and ticking "disable display scaling on high DPI display settings"? :)

Thanks for that. It will work great for someone who gets their newer versions via updates.

I do installs so I expect it won't be workablel. So I'll be trying layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = 1

One of the things that makes this (HD)DPI ball of wax not cool is Bug 852371 - Restored windows too large after bug 844604 lands. Very not cool for someone who as dozens of tabs. (even 100+) It would have been preferable IMO if this had been developed on it's own branch or repo, and merged when it was ready as a total package, instead of being shoved in.

Thanks Meph for your posts and helping here.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Just a bit of info. The option to disable dpi scaling is not available for 64 bit programs. However, you can add them to the Registry yourself. This is the same place 32 bit programs store their dpi awareness setting. You can find it here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Does Mozilla have a plan to scale properly the UI content at higher dpi?
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Dingler wrote:Does Mozilla have a plan to scale properly the UI content at higher dpi?

I believe they do. They would be clearer but might be as large. The icons that are used for bookmarks and history come from the favicon on the web page. I don't think Fx can do anything about those. Most are 16x16 which is why they are blurry. I was told that a web page can detect dpi and serve up the best icons or any graphics for that matter if they provide the code for it. It appears that web sites will have blurry images for a long time to come IMO.

Even if they managed to make the icons nice and clear I absolutely hate the size of them. I prefer my favicons to be 96dpi. Would be nice if they gave the user some control over the chrome portion which I doubt they would do. For now I have to play games to get Fx to look like it did before. I like that look and I'm pissed that they, so far, have taken that away.

The whole large dpi/ppi is still a WIP so no telling what the final outcome will look like. Maybe it will look nice, who knows?
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Does img{ image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges !important;} help ?
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Alice0775 wrote:Does img{ image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges !important;} help ?

I tried that and it helps for some icons and does weird stuff to others. As I said, even if they were totally clear I still hate the large size. Of course a little css code can make them 16x16 again but I shouldn't have to do this.

First setting the pref to 1.0 reverted back to the old method which I liked. Then they changed it again so now a 1.0 sets text to 96dpi and keeps the icons at the OS dpi. I can't understand why they did this. WIP....
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Did the UI and tabs just get smaller again in the newest nightly? I'm using 150 dpi and the tabs are about half the size they were yesterday. They are about the same size that they used to be before the high dpi patch landed. Much better.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

StinDaWg wrote:Did the UI and tabs just get smaller again in the newest nightly? I'm using 150 dpi and the tabs are about half the size they were yesterday. They are about the same size that they used to be before the high dpi patch landed. Much better.

the only bug fixed in the last few days in the dependency list of bug 820679 http://tinyurl.com/bmspak3 is bug 828508 and that was 3-4 days ago
iwod

Post by iwod »

streetwolf wrote:Here's what I did to get things back to normal.... again.

Set the pref to 1.0.

grab this add-on Theme Font & Size Changer and use it to change the font size of chrome text. I use 15 (my OS dpi is 120).

Thanks, i am on 120DPI as well and this finally got me back to what Firefox was used to be before 22.

The only thing i wish this could be fixed , if not done as a pref instead of a Addon.
geius

Post by geius »

Thank you for this thread and the solutions.
I just updated to aurora 22 and was like wtf?
If this will be in a release version it will be so much fun in all the forums.

Well anyway; so I changed the value back to 1.0 but now it is still messed up with the default font size for FF ui. I don't really want to have an extra addon just for one .css line that changes the font to 15, so may anyone know what I have to write into the userchrome.css to change the default font size to 15?

Thanks