Unsupported browser notifications

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

laciefae

Unsupported browser notifications

Post by laciefae »

I just downloaded Camino 2.1.2 and am using it for the first time. I'm on a G4 10.4.11 and was using Firefox 3.6. Wasn't locked out of anything yet except hotmail just today. With Camino, I'm seeing much faster loading, smoother operation, and for the FIRST time I can watch HD videos! Very exciting.

I am still getting unsupported browser notifications on several sites that now function much better for me, and I am still locked out of hotmail. I keep the hotmail account because I signed up for so many things with it years ago, it will be a real pain if I have to switch my email account for those. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you!
jwthomas

Re: Unsupported browser notifications

Post by jwthomas »

Welcome to Camino. I've yet to encounter a site claiming that Camino was unsupported that would actually lock me out. They all continue to perform as they do on the "supported" browsers. As for the Hotmail: why not upgrade Firefox a few steps to use for Hotmail and for any other sites that might require it. There's no law that says you need to confine yourself to a single browser. I've got five, and have reasons to use all of them on occasion. I hate Google Chrome but I use it for all my financial transactions. You'd be advised to do something similar.
Last edited by jwthomas on March 23rd, 2013, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-John Thomas
*MacMom*

Post by *MacMom* »

I am getting the "unsupported browser" messages from Hotmail. but I can still get to my Hotmail account on Camino by going to Hotmail.com. See if that works for you.

I should note that I'm using a nightly build (2.1.3pre), don't know if that makes a difference.
LT-Tech

Post by LT-Tech »

While Hotmail -- or Outlook, now -- will let me log in and then stop and complain.
I can just click in the URL box and delete everything after https://loc999.mail.live.com/mail/
Then the site loads normally. Camino is the only browser that works as smoothly.

Camino Version 2.1.3pre 1.9.2.29pre
Opera/9.80 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.4.11; U; en) Presto/2.8.131 Version/11.10
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 FireDownload/2.0.1 Firefox/3.6.27
James

Post by James »

Just so you know, the Firefox 3.6.28 was the last security update for the old 3.6 and not 3.6.27.
skykingj45

Post by skykingj45 »

Hello. Windows friends (an oxymoron?) send me pictures which seem to link into something called Skydrive. When I click on the picture I get the following:

"Microsoft Services are designed for you, but maybe not for your browser--Some features may not work correctly with the version of the web browser you are currently using.
To get the most out of Microsoft services, we recommend that you take a few minutes to upgrade to the current version of one of these browsers:
Windows Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Google Chrome
Safari"

When I copy the link into Firefox, it works fine and I get a good view of the photo that came a bit bigger than thumbnail size in the Mac Mail e-mail.

Can anyone enlighten me on this, is Camino (my favourite) missing something or what is going on?

Thanks.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

This is the user agent for the version of Camino that you are using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; en; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120308 Camino/2.1.2 (like Firefox/3.6.28)

See the part where it says "like Firefox/3.6.28"? Camino can only use an old version of the underlying rendering engine, in this case Gecko 1.9.2.x. This is due to the Firefox devs not having enough time to maintain the mechanism that Camino was using to build Camino on top of Gecko. So, websites believe you are using a Firefox 3.6.x version (they know it's Camino, but they care more about the Gecko part) and let you know that the site is better viewed in newer browsers that are a) more secure and b} more up to date with current web standards.

The Skydrive site works in Firefox and not Camino because a portion of the site requires a feature that is not available in Camino due to the outdated web engine.

LT-Tech,

Please remove the formatting from your signature. Not only is it against the rules, it's almost impossible to read with the default forum color scheme. Thanks.
faq.php?mode=rules#f3r2
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
skykingj45

Post by skykingj45 »

Thanks for the input smsmith but if you are answering my query, I have no idea of what you are talking about :( You could put my computer expertise on the head of a pin so that's likely the main reason--if you don't mind could you render that down in plain English? Thanks very much. Cheers.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I'll give it a shot. :D

To build a web page, Camino uses the Gecko "rendering engine". This is the engine that underlies Camino, Firefox and Seamonkey (the old Mozilla Suite). The webpage is written in a language that humans can mostly read, but don't mean much to your computer that needs to display it, so the rendering engine does that part. The part you know of as Camino is the part you interact with to go surfing the web.

Camino uses the rendering engine is a slightly different manner than Firefox in that it is "embedded" in Camino. I'm not wholly sure what that means myself, but what it means in practice is that once the Firefox development team didn't have time to keep maintaining the ability to embed Gecko, Camino was going to be stuck using the last version that supported embedding, which is the Firefox 3.6.x version. Firefox is now at version 20, so you can see that Camino is far behind now. Most modern websites are becoming more like mini-applications, and as such are relying on your web browser to support certain functions. Unfortunately, the old engine that Camino uses doesn't support enough of those functions to always let the website work. In some cases, you can ignore the warning, but those cases are becoming more rare.

I hope that makes a little more sense. :D
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
skykingj45

Post by skykingj45 »

THANKS smsmith -- really appreciate that and yes it does make sense. I still have questions however that I hope you can help with. In the example I mentioned, does that mean that I can use Camino in a lot (most?) instances but whenever something like what I mentioned come up I will have to copy the url from Camino and paste it in a Firefox browser to get that particular site to come up properly?
I'm sorry Camino seems to be lagging behind and I am tempted just to go to Firefox completely as activity on Camino seems to be lagging. I think this is unfortunate but guess there is nothing we can do about it.
Thanks again. Regards.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It's always a good idea to have two browsers handy. The only way I know of opening the page you are on from Camino is to copy and past the URL from Camino to Firefox, but perhaps you could make an AppleScript to do the same thing for you.

The decision regarding using the old version of Gecko is several years old now, and I haven't heard any news recently about being able to move forward, so I think Camino for the time being is going to continue to be "like Firefox 3.6.x". I say continue to use what you like and when you have a problem site, fire up Firefox for that case.
skykingj45

Post by skykingj45 »

Thanks very much smsmith, you suggested advice to 'stay the course with Camino as it is' and use another browser when required sounds good to me! In any event, nice to see some activity on this forum.
Cheers/Bill