Firefox 20 Downloads Disable Green Arrow Flash and History

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
c627627

Firefox 20 Downloads Disable Green Arrow Flash and History

Post by c627627 »

Every time you download a file in Firefox 20, a green arrow flashes to direct you to the (new in Firefox 20) Downloads button. It was helpful the first time but now that we know where it is, is there a way to disable the green arrow flash?

When you go to Tools > Downloads, all the previously downloaded files are there. What is the new way to set a preference for Firefox 20 and later not to store already downloaded files there and only show downloads currently in progress, if any.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
pal-moz

Re: Firefox 20 Downloads Disable Green Arrow Flash and Histo

Post by pal-moz »

(1)
you can't disable only green arrow.
set browser.download.useToolkitUI to true, you can use "old" download manager.

(2)
no way with new download panel.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
c627627

Post by c627627 »

pal-moz wrote: you can use "old" download manager.

That would be perfect, how do you disable the new download manager and its circus flashing lights?

EDIT: To disable Downloads Panel so it doesn't flash every time you download a file:

about:config > browser.download.useToolkitUI > Double click on it to change its value to True >

View > Toolbars > Customize > Drag the Downloads Button into Customize Toolbars window > Done > Restart Firefox
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

c627627 wrote:Every time you download a file in Firefox 20, a green arrow flashes to direct you to the (new in Firefox 20) Downloads button. It was helpful the first time but now that we know where it is, is there a way to disable the green arrow flash?

This can be hidden with CSS (can't recall the class names off the top of my head).

However, if you switch back to the classic download manager, the button should not be animated.

When you go to Tools > Downloads, all the previously downloaded files are there. What is the new way to set a preference for Firefox 20 and later not to store already downloaded files there and only show downloads currently in progress, if any.

This has existed in the Library since Firefox 8.0.

The download history is treated as a part of the regular browsing history. Therefore, it is cleared when you clear regular history. This is why all of the clear-data/privacy dialogs use "Browsing and Download history".

Even when using the classic download manager, this download history still accumulates.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Thank you for your reply. I understand that if you
about:config > browser.download.useToolkitUI > Double click on it to change its value to True >
then
View > Toolbars > Customize > Drag the Downloads Button into Customize Toolbars window > Done > Restart Firefox

You then will not have permanently FLASHING green light whenever you download anything.
You then will not have an entire list of previously completed downloads always displayed.

So to address your post, the objective is not to clear download history along with everything else, but to have it simply not display already completed downloads.
I understand the only way to do that is to set browser.download.useToolkitUI to TRUE and remove the new Downloads Button.

Please post if there is an alternate way to accomplish those two goals, without affecting anything else, like browsing history.

and P.S. This is why already completed downloads are not displayed:
about:config > browser.download.manager.retention >
double click on it and change its value to 0
so that downloads are removed from the list of downloads upon completion.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

You do not need to remove the toolbar button. Just flip the preference and restart Firefox.

and P.S. This is why already completed downloads are not displayed:
about:config > browser.download.manager.retention >
double click on it and change its value to 0
so that downloads are removed from the list of downloads upon completion.

The browser.download.manager.retention preference only affects the classic download manager. It does not affect overall download history or the new download button panel.

Keep in mind that the classic download manager probably isn't going to stick around for ever. It will likely be removed at some point.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I understand you are saying that there is no equivalent to browser.download.manager.retention for the new Download button panel. I hope one is created before complete removal of classic download manager.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

c627627 wrote:I understand you are saying that there is no equivalent to browser.download.manager.retention for the new Download button panel. I hope one is created before complete removal of classic download manager.

Currently Firefox 21 and 22 still have that pref and the pref to switch to the classic download manager
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
c627627

Post by c627627 »

OK. Obviously it would be helpful if you posted how is that pref set?

[If the goal is to only display downloads in progress and to have already completed downloads not displayed.]
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Bluefang wrote:This can be hidden with CSS (can't recall the class names off the top of my head).

Best applied with the Stylish extension.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/stylish/

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#downloads-indicator-notification {
  display: none !important
}
Quatrix

Post by Quatrix »

According to 836271 and 838663 they purposely removed support for browser.download.panel.removeFinishedDownloads and browser.download.manager.retention. Bad idea.
Last edited by Quatrix on April 3rd, 2013, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahi

Post by mahi »

Gingerbread Man wrote:

#downloads-indicator-notification {
}

Those using the status-4-evar addon may also want to add the following CSS override to suppress the flashing download icon in the status bar as well:

#status4evar-download-notification-icon {
}
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops... On my desk I have a workstation.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Quatrix wrote:According to 836271 and 838663 they purposely removed support for browser.download.panel.removeFinishedDownloads and browser.download.manager.retention. Bad idea.

Why?

* The list in the panel is a small number of recent downloads.
* It is not persistent (i.e. it's cleared every time you restart Firefox)
* As has already been explained, those preferences have no affect on the actual download history.
* browser.download.panel.removeFinishedDownloads only affected the new panel. It was removed because it was buggy and blocking the initial release.
* browser.download.manager.retention has not been removed. However, it only affects the classic download window.

Regardless, Mozilla is already aware of this 'issue'.

Bug 838681 - Figure out use-cases of the retention preference, and support them in the new downloads experience
Bug 845658 - Implement "Remove Completed Downloads" Option
c627627

Post by c627627 »

If people downloaded [insert large number] of files, and they go to Tools > Download, they are still there even though the download has been long completed. If they only need active downloads to be displayed... then they would think that it is a bad idea for them not to have that customization option any more.

Luckily simply removing the new feature, restores old functionality where
1. Only the downloads in progress are displayed.
2. Upon completion, downloads are automatically removed from the download list.
3. No (forgive me) Circus lights flashing *every time* you start a download.
DancerDC

Post by DancerDC »

c627627, thanks for posting this fix. Is this something that a regular user can do? I have no admin rights to my computer at work, and I don't know how to access or change the code that you folks showed for the solution to the flashing green arrow/download cache.