UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Frank Lion

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by Frank Lion »

scratchee wrote:Frank,

How possible do you think it would be for someone to create a compatibility extension that gets all the buttons back freely place-able again, which themes could be based on? could themes bundle such an extension? (I don't know if themes can act like extensions). Maybe if every theme in existence bundled (required) an extension that returned the functionality it would be enough of a slap in the face to convince Mozilla to "finish" their implementation? Especially if the extension could work on its own, with the default theme, fixing the issue without any visual changes (until you customize of course).

If that is possible, how hard do you think it would be?

Certainly is possible, but hard to tell how hard it would be until you start pulling the coding apart. Stuff you think would be hard, turns out not to be and vice versa. For example, my tabs use their own internal binding (.xml) and do what you'd think would be really tricky. Other stuff really does need an extension to do (only because Mozilla stopped themes using JavaScript within them, until that point we could do a lot more)

Your idea of a 'multi package install' is a sound one and one many of us already use to bundle extensions in with a theme. An extension would have to be available pretty quickly prior to UX release though or themers would have drifted off onto other projects.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

It's really quite fascinating. There are 5176 pages of personas. Beyond page 182 they all have less than 100 users, and beyond page 964, you're down to single digits.
http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/galler ... opular/964
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

At one stage I saw a quote from one of the devs that they had ideas of using persona's as a revenue source my guess is that fell into the usual too hard black hole.....fortunately
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

malliz wrote:Well at the time I think he was talking about persona's but since he's been in charge they have been neglected as well so your guess is as good as anyone's as to what his game plan is at the moment.

This - viewtopic.php?p=12601775#p12601775 explains something about themes that, I'm told, most people don't realise.

Which is sort of why they are quite important even if you're not using them yourself, i.e. market share wise, etc.

JoeG wrote:(1) Having read Briscoe's comment, "There are hardly any themes left that are compatible with the latest Firefox release", I was actually surprised to see that the theme I mentioned generally worked

Yeah? Wait until you see it in 'Icons' mode and not in 'Text' mode, as you have it now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:
JoeG wrote:(1) Having read Briscoe's comment, "There are hardly any themes left that are compatible with the latest Firefox release", I was actually surprised to see that the theme I mentioned generally worked
Yeah? Wait until you see it in 'Icons' mode and not in 'Text' mode, as you have it now.
How can I try it, please? The "Customize" function is completely changed in this build. Thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The UX branch has been going on long enough that I think it can be discounted as a money and effort hole that will never see the light of day. I predict it will be renamed before the end of the year.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Something Like Super UX ?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dkgo

Post by dkgo »

kill theme have been devastating.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JoeG wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
How can I try it, please? The "Customize" function is completely changed in this build. Thanks.

I confess I couldn't find Text/Icon modes in UX either. But if you run a Nightly 22 and use the usual Customise Window to get into Icon mode, it will then show in Icon mode in UX..using the same profile, of course.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:.. if you run a Nightly 22 and use the usual Customise Window to get into Icon mode, it will then show in Icon mode in UX..using the same profile, of course.
Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

JoeG wrote:It's really quite fascinating. There are 5176 pages of personas. Beyond page 182 they all have less than 100 users, and beyond page 964, you're down to single digits.

Personally,I find personas quite sad when compared to old-school full themes:but maybe exactly for this very reason,they've made the move to rule out themes...

If the target is the ugly,basic look of Chrome (as it evidently is),then themes should not be allowed to do anything about it..
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Drumbrake wrote:Personally,I find personas quite sad when compared to old-school full themes:but maybe exactly for this very reason,they've made the move to rule out themes...

If the target is the ugly,basic look of Chrome (as it evidently is),then themes should not be allowed to do anything about it..

Might have to consider the Pale Moon project. Over there he's saying no way to Australis. I just tried out their portable and my profile works perfectly.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Just as Firefox 19.0.2 works perfectly for me. Remains to be seen if those guys at Pale Moon can do anything with the Firefox Australis mess.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Astrophizz

Post by Astrophizz »

malliz wrote:Something Like Super UX ?

Maybe "Super Awesome UX" :|
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

The new customize mode is removing the ability to use Small Icons.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736179

This is a bad joke!
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly