Does Fx 22 nightly look too large?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Does Fx 22 nightly look too large?

Post by smsmith »

geius wrote:anyone know what I have to write into the userchrome.css to change the default font size to 15?

This should target all fonts in the chrome.

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

* {font-size: 15pt !important;}
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
geius

Post by geius »

Thanks worked fine. But for me at least to have the old default I had to use 15px instead of 15pt.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Whatever works best / easiest for you. I prefer to specify fonts in point sizes rather than pixels.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

smsmith wrote: I prefer to specify fonts in point sizes rather than pixels.

And it is the correct way to do it :wink:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
iwod

Post by iwod »

I am just wondering, if ( should ) there is difference (size wise ) to content of the rendered page as well?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

iwod wrote:I am just wondering, if ( should ) there is difference (size wise ) to content of the rendered page as well?

Not using the entirety of the code I supplied, because it targets the "chrome" explicitly using the @namespace line that was provided and should be placed in userChrome.css. If you want to change the content, you need to add the code to your userContent.css file instead of your userChrome.css file, without the @namespace line that was given.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserContent.css
iwod

Post by iwod »

I was referring to the Content of Rendered page, Font size etc if it has changed in 22, It turns out it was a false alarm, just simply my eye sight is getting worst.
( I want bigger iPhone... )
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

i don't have a problem with firefox using DPI more correctly.

But whatever they did has made the UI scale incorrectly.

Firefox was already scaling the UI to system DPI correctly since Firefox 5 or 6, prior to that one would have to change the layout.css.dpi value to adjust the ui size up to system dpi.

Now non fixed point fonts and buttons on the ui are scaled up twice.
Last edited by LoudNoise on May 13th, 2013, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name calling sentance removed.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

streetwolf wrote:Just a bit of info. The option to disable dpi scaling is not available for 64 bit programs. However, you can add them to the Registry yourself. This is the same place 32 bit programs store their dpi awareness setting. You can find it here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers.

FYI, that flag just reverts the app to using XP Style scaling.

Microsoft really goofed up there by not having compatibility settings going both ways, alot of old games are nuked by using Vista style scaling and since theres no way to use Vista scaling only where its actually needed.... (like Carmageddon TDr's Launcher or Eduke32's launcher)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

squall_leonhart-
Removed snotty comment at the end of your post (two above). You have been warned about this many times. Knock it off or sent on another vacation from the forum.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
helix400

Post by helix400 »

Gah! This is ugly. The UI is scaled normal, but now all my websites are scaled too large. I tried to manually size them down, but sites with flash doesn't seem to scale back to what they were before.

The layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1 fix at least scales the web pages back to what they should be, but now the UI is too small. Just another nagging voice hoping this gets fixed before normal release.
aireca

Post by aireca »

I have been collecting the fonts of Firefox, just change the 11pt size which is fine for 125% DPI to whatever size you use and paste to stylish, if you find more fonts please post them here :D

Also remember to first go to about:config and change "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" to 1.0 also install NoSquint addon to change the web pages size

Code: Select all

/* Firefox Custom Font Size by aireca v1.01 */

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* Menus font */
menu, menubar, menubutton, menulist, menuitem, checkbox, .splitmenu-menuitem {
font-size: 11pt !important;}

/* Window font */
window, page, wizard, prefwindow {
font-size:  11pt !important; }

/* Dialog font */
dialog {
font-size: 11pt !important; }

/* Tabs Toolbar font */
#TabsToolbar{

/* Tab text font */
.tab-text {

/* Textbox font */
textbox {

/* Toolbar font */
toolbar {

/* Address bar font */
#urlbar {

/* Personal Titlebar Title font */
#personal-titlebar{

/* Status bar font */
#status-bar {

/* Status4evar Status font */
#status4evar-status-widget {

/* Sidebars Font */
#sidebar-box *,
#bookmarksPanel *, #bookmarks-view *,
#history-panel *, #historyTree, sidebarheader {

/* Trees font */
tree, treechildren {

/* Buttons font */
button {

/* Preferences font */
#BrowserPreferences {

/* Tooltip font */
tooltip {

/* About Addons fonts */
.name-container {
font-size:  16pt !important; }
#detail-name-container {
font-size:  20pt !important; }
.detail-view-container {
font-size:  14pt !important; }
.category {
font-size:  11.5pt !important; }

firefox is going nutz with this new scaling idea, the fonts and image scaling should be a separate value like on windows xp scaling style on windows Vista/7/8.

And i know the existence of the "Theme Font & Size Changer" add-on and the " * {font-size: 11pt !important;}" trick posted by smsmith, but those two changes the fonts incorrectly and brokes many of my addons mini fonts and extra big fonts, i like more to change them individually.
FrostySonic

Post by FrostySonic »

helix400 wrote:Gah! This is ugly. The UI is scaled normal, but now all my websites are scaled too large. I tried to manually size them down, but sites with flash doesn't seem to scale back to what they were before.

The layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1 fix at least scales the web pages back to what they should be, but now the UI is too small. Just another nagging voice hoping this gets fixed before normal release.

'Gah!' indeed!! I was just upgraded to v22, and this is my exact experience.

WTF were they thinking? What was wrong with before? Websites should not be scaled with the OS dpi setting, it just does not make any sense to do so; users always had the option of using the Firefox built-in zoom functionality (or NoSquint) for that.

Crazy, crazy stuff.

Thank you to people here for the suggestions to at least get it mostly back to normal.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Since Fx 22 has been released I am going to lock this thread in Builds. Feel free to continue in Firefox General.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."