firefox wont open up for me!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

firefox wont open up for me!!

Post by Guest »

when i open up firefox, it wont load. instead, the load icon near my cusor is blinking off and on, like it is loading. i opened up task manager, and tried to terminate the firefox process. instead it said "operation is not valid for this process". thanks to who ever helps me out with this problem.
fox7

Post by fox7 »

bump

Post by Guest »

bump
venus_de_mpls

Post by venus_de_mpls »

Win XP Pro SP1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)

Post by Guest »

nothing thats firefox opens up. it seems like it is, but it isnt...please help me

Post by Guest »

bump

Post by Guest »

bump
ankh

My Windows FF broke, same way; spyware attack maybe?????

Post by ankh »

Failing all that as mine did, it might be new nasty spyware.

Anyone competent please take this info wherever useful; on my office's machine, FF is installed by the IT Department who controls everything, I can do nothing but comment on what I see happen there.

-------

My FF (1.0) -- office Windows 2000 box, crashed yesterday with:

XPCOM:EventReceiver: firefox.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00603d5b" referenced memory at "0x1654b00". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate the program.

Firefox has never launched again, and I tried removing the Profileto see if it would create a new one. No.

I can't uninstall/reinstall, which my office IT department has to do here. They'll try that eventually.

ASIDE:
This morning, on bootup, trying to start Outlook, I saw:
"Not Enough Quota is Available to Process This Command"
(This did not ever repeat on rebooting again; I rebooted a lot today)

For FF, I see what you see, I think: the icon blinks.

In Task Manager, FF doesn't show as running but "firefox.exe" shows as a process (near the top of the CPU list when sorted).

"firefox.exe" if hilighted and you click the button to terminate, says exactly what you quoted: "operation is not valid for this process".

It can be killed this way: real fast -- hilight it then click the keystroke command (alt-E, I think) before it unselects itself. But that doesn't help it launch.

Also, my IE security cookie setting has several times, inconsistently, on some reboots, reset itself from "Prompt" for all to "Accept All Brainlessly" or whatever MS calls the screw-me-now option for IE cookies.

Could it be Spyware? Oh, yes, surprise, we had new nasty spyware:

Alexa(TAC index:5):1 total references
Elitum.ElitebarBHO(TAC index:5):3 total references

AdAwareSe removed those, but there's a 'tracking cookie' that keeps coming back:

@stat.onestat

Good luck. Write if you get it to work.

Forgive the "bumps" oh experts (I'm no expert, I'm a crash dummy).

I've used FF a long while at home with OSX, but only for the last month or so at the office -- in desperation they offered FF for non-IT-department-but-geeky staff -- without much control over the PC, at all.

And I think it got hammered by spyware, unless it hammered itself to make this happen this way.

Post by Guest »

"firefox.exe" if hilighted and you click the button to terminate, says exactly what you quoted in your first posting -- to the effect that it is not the kind of process that can be terminated.

It can be killed this way: real fast -- hilight it then click the keystroke command (alt-E, I think) before it unselects itself.
-----------

when i do that, it just says "operation is not valid for this process." and i just rebooted my computer, and firefox ran right from the start again, with out even activating firefox itself.
-FoxHound-

Post by -FoxHound- »

bump
ankh

Post by ankh »

Interesting. I dunno. There's another thread mentioning seeing FF Windows crash with the same message box starting "XPCOM" posted recently, in the General forum now.

I got the "operation not valid" unless I was _very_ fast in hitting the keystroke command after hilighting in the Processes window. But if I was quick enough it would close the process that way.

But -- 24 hours of fiddling and removal of the new spyware (which was indeed timestamped the same time my office Windows Firefox first crashed) did not recover a usable Firefox there.

Did you check with AdAware on your machine? Curious to know what you found.
-FoxHound-

Post by -FoxHound- »

ankh wrote:Interesting. I dunno. There's another thread mentioning seeing FF Windows crash with the same message box starting "XPCOM" posted recently, in the General forum now.

I got the "operation not valid" unless I was _very_ fast in hitting the keystroke command after hilighting in the Processes window. But if I was quick enough it would close the process that way.

But -- 24 hours of fiddling and removal of the new spyware (which was indeed timestamped the same time my office Windows Firefox first crashed) did not recover a usable Firefox there.

Did you check with AdAware on your machine? Curious to know what you found.

i have MS antispyware and avast anit virus, and i checked and i didnt see anything. well im off to bed, and maybe it will be fixed if i give my PC a break. ill bump this tomorrow.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=228538

Note, the person starting that thread got the same "XPCOM" crash that I did; the rest of his report sounds like what both you and I have been seeing.

Antiviruse apps are NOT looking for or protecting against the same thing as spyware/adware detectors.

I suggest you go to lavasoft.de and get the free AdAwareSE release (check the forums, by now someone may have reported something about this problem). See if it finds anything for you.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Oh.

Search here for "XPCOM" to see several bug reports, any of which may be this same problem:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi
ankh

Post by ankh »

(XPCOM is part of Mozilla - - it shows up in a variety of bug reports)