Confirm on exit option?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
forrie

Confirm on exit option?

Post by forrie »

Can we get a "confirm on exit" option, such as in Chrome, to avoid accidental keystrokes on the Mac - where CMD+W and CMD+Q are pretty easy to mistype. It's very very annoying. Could this be a about:config tunable? Can we fix this up?

Thanks.
trolly

Re: Confirm on exit option?

Post by trolly »

Does "Tools (Extras?) -> Options -> Tabs -> Warn me when closing multiple tabs" help?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
GofioDeTrigo

Post by GofioDeTrigo »

To get the "confirm quit dialog" when you push ctrl+Q keys, go to "about:config" and set "browser.showQuitWarning" to true

Also you can change the Firefox keyboard shortcuts configuration using the keyconfig add-on:

viewtopic.php?t=72994
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Trolly is on the right path but with Macs I think it should be Firefox --> Preferences -->Tabs.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GofioDeTrigo

Post by GofioDeTrigo »

Trolly is on the right path

Nop, at least using GNU/Linux.

If you does -> Options -> Tabs -> "Warn me when closing multiple tabs", but your try to close the browser using the CTRL+Q keys, instead of the mouse, you won't get any warning message.

To get the "confirm quit dialog" when you push ctrl+Q keys with several tabs open, go to "about:config" and set "browser.showQuitWarning" to true.

That is so, at least in my PC.

Edit:
The "confirm quit dialog" not is the same that "the confirm close dialog"
James

Post by James »

GofioDeTrigo wrote:
Trolly is on the right path

Nop, at least using GNU/Linux.

If you does -> Options -> Tabs -> "Warn me when closing multiple tabs", but your try to close the browser using the CTRL+Q keys, instead of the mouse, you won't get any warning message.

Tools->Options ->Tabs is on Windows, for Linux it is Edit ->Preferences->Tabs and since the OP is using Firefox on Max OSX it will be Firefox ->Preferences->Tabs.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows,_Linux,_and_Mac
GofioDeTrigo

Post by GofioDeTrigo »

I think I cannot explain exactly what I am trying to say because I don't speak enough English, only a little bit since I was in the school. My main language is Spanish.

The way you employ to reach the menu "tabs" is irrelevant. I'm saying that if you mark, in the frontend GUI, "Warm me when closing multiples tabs", you never will receive that warning while you close the browser using the keyboard shotcut "Ctrl+Q" just typing that keys with your fingers. You only will receive that warning if you close the browser clicking the close button with the mouse cursor, if you press Ctrl+Q keys, the browser get closed at once, not any warning is shown, even if you mark "Warm me when closing multiples tab" in the tab menu.

If you go to about:config menu, and set to "true" the line "browser.showQuitWarning", then, and only then, you can see the "confirm quit dialog" (instead of the confirm close dialog) when you push "ctrl+Q" keys with several tabs open. That is so at least using my GNU/Linux PC.

I know that the path to reach the "tab" menu in Windows is different than GNU/Linux. Also you can reach the menu Preferences with GNU/Linux just using the following command:

$ firefox -preferences

And there you can choose the menu "tabs", but nothing to do with that because we need to get the "quit dialog", not the "close dialog".

Sorry, I cannot explain better because of my small vocabulary in English language. I speak Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portugues, but I'm afraid my English is broken. I'm able to understand most part of reading and speaking English (US and GB), but really is quite hard for me to write English because of my very bad grammar.

All the best.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Heh, you write better English than many native English speakers. And that is pathetically sad.

In summary:

To see the warning dialog when you quit/exit Firefox, you need BOTH browser.warnOnQuit AND browser.showQuitWarning set to true.

This is not the same warning you'd see if you simply closed a window with multiple tabs (browser.tabs.warnOnClose / Tabs -> Warn me when closing multiples tabs).
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
PumpkinEater

Post by PumpkinEater »

Bluefang wrote:To see the warning dialog when you quit/exit Firefox, you need BOTH browser.warnOnQuit AND browser.showQuitWarning set to true.

This doesn't work for me, even with add-ons disabled.

FF 20.0
(K)ubuntu 12.10
KDE 4.9.5

==EDIT==
FWIW, the Show Quit Warning add-on doesn't work for me either.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Have you tried creating a new profile, and then modifying those preferences?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
PumpkinEater

Post by PumpkinEater »

Bluefang wrote:Have you tried creating a new profile, and then modifying those preferences?

I just tried then, and neither method works. browser.warnOnQuit was already true, and setting browser.showQuitWarning didn't change anything. I tested with a single window with three tabs open. In addition, the add-on I linked to above didn't work either.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

What do you have browser.startup.page set to? If it is 3 it will also prevent the quit dialog from showing. Same goes for Private Browsing mode.

This is from the components/nsBrowserGlue.js inside <firefox>/browser/omni.ja

Code: Select all

// There are several cases where we won't show a dialog here:
    // 1. There is only 1 tab open in 1 window
    // 2. The session will be restored at startup, indicated by
    //    browser.startup.page == 3 or browser.sessionstore.resume_session_once == true
    // 3. browser.warnOnQuit == false
    // 4. The browser is currently in Private Browsing mode
    // 5. The browser will be restarted.
    //
    // Otherwise these are the conditions and the associated dialogs that will be shown:
    // 1. aQuitType == "lastwindow" or "quit" and browser.showQuitWarning == true
    //    - The quit dialog will be shown
    // 2. aQuitType == "lastwindow" && browser.tabs.warnOnClose == true
    //    - The "closing multiple tabs" dialog will be shown
    //
    // aQuitType == "lastwindow" is overloaded. "lastwindow" is used to indicate
    // "the last window is closing but we're not quitting (a non-browser window is open)"
    // and also "we're quitting by closing the last window".
PumpkinEater

Post by PumpkinEater »

Bluefang wrote:What do you have browser.startup.page set to? If it is 3 it will also prevent the quit dialog from showing.

That's it! I do have it set to 3. I didn't check, but I would've thought the fresh profile would have had this set to default, though?

In any case, does this mean that there is no way to open with tabs from last time and also have a confirm on exit option? That seems unintuitive…
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm on Win 7 and/but I'll assume that this extension has no problems with non Windows OS systems...
I have my Firefox start up with a blank page "but" with this extension I have some options at the time of Firefox close
Save and Quit
Quit
Save and Restore at startup
Cancel

So, I can close Firefox normally, cancel a close if I hit the red X by mistake, save a session of windows/tabs for the start of the next Firefox run ... or, save a session in case I need it later. Maybe this extension would help some people here.

Session Manager :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
PumpkinEater

Post by PumpkinEater »

Thanks for the workaround, dfoulkes. Personally, this bug isn't so grievous that I'd want to install another add-on to fix it, but others might find this useful.