MozillaZine

FX 22 - Disable Built-in MP3 Player

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted April 30th, 2013, 7:04 pm

When I visit http://www.cogneo.org, there are two links on the main page for downloading MP3 files. There are also two download links for .ra files. When I left click an .ra link, the file downloads and starts playing in RealPlayer. When I left click on an .mp3 link, the MP3 file plays in some internal FX player within the browser. I have all of my .mp3 files associated with WinAmp under Applications. How do I get the .mp3 links to behave like the .ra links (download the file and start playing with WinAmp)? I just recently noticed this behavior in FX 22, but it may have been some time since it was implemented.

BTW, it works as expected in SeaMonkey.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.7.1, Interlink Mail 52.9.7176, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

Joker1337
 
Posts: 64
Joined: July 15th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Post Posted April 30th, 2013, 7:35 pm

about:config -> media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to false ... but with this pref you will also disable H.264 and AAC support.

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted April 30th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Joker1337 wrote:about:config -> media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to false ... but with this pref you will also disable H.264 and AAC support.


Thanks! Works like a charm. What would I expect to notice if H.264 and AAC support is disabled? I notice that the config is set to false in SeaMonkey.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.7.1, Interlink Mail 52.9.7176, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

KWierso
 
Posts: 8831
Joined: May 7th, 2006, 10:29 pm
Location: California

Post Posted May 1st, 2013, 1:14 am

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
Joker1337 wrote:about:config -> media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to false ... but with this pref you will also disable H.264 and AAC support.


Thanks! Works like a charm. What would I expect to notice if H.264 and AAC support is disabled? I notice that the config is set to false in SeaMonkey.

The same behavior as mp3 files, but for h.264 video and AAC audio files. They'll be downloaded and then played with the default media player on the computer, not within Firefox.

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted May 1st, 2013, 1:53 pm

KWierso wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
Joker1337 wrote:about:config -> media.windows-media-foundation.enabled set to false ... but with this pref you will also disable H.264 and AAC support.


Thanks! Works like a charm. What would I expect to notice if H.264 and AAC support is disabled? I notice that the config is set to false in SeaMonkey.

The same behavior as mp3 files, but for h.264 video and AAC audio files. They'll be downloaded and then played with the default media player on the computer, not within Firefox.


OK. Thanks KWierso!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.7.1, Interlink Mail 52.9.7176, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

ferongr

User avatar
 
Posts: 537
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 9:51 am

Post Posted May 1st, 2013, 3:39 pm

Right-Click on the .mp3 link -> Save link as ? This works for me without disabling browser functionality.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted May 1st, 2013, 4:26 pm

ferongr wrote:Right-Click on the .mp3 link -> Save link as ? This works for me without disabling browser functionality.


Yes, it does for me as well. I was talking about the left click behavior. Using the left click makes playing the file automatic without having to first download the file, open a player, point the player to the downloaded file...etc.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.7.1, Interlink Mail 52.9.7176, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ltsnow and 3 guests