How to make ALL tabs show a "close" button?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wakanasakai

How to make ALL tabs show a "close" button?

Post by wakanasakai »

In firefox 21.0b5, I've been in the "about:config" area trying to find a way to make ALL tabs show a "close" button. The closest that I've gotten is this preference.
browser.tabs.closeButtons

0 = "Close" button only on the active tab.
1 = "Close" button only on the active tab.
2 = No "close" button on any tab.
3 = "Close" button to the right of the right-most tab.
4 & above = Same as 0.

Any suggestions?
manto

Re: How to make ALL tabs show a "close" button?

Post by manto »

In your description above, 0 and 1 are listed as doing the same thing. But actually, 1 is supposed insert the "close" button on all of the tabs. See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

browser.tabs.closeButtons = 1 works for me. Using a theme or user style CSS, Tabmix Plus or any other tab related extension? .... disable them all and see what happens Or restart in Mozilla Safe mode and see what happens
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
James

Post by James »

There is no 4 and above for values.

This is old but it shows what each value 0, 1, 2, 3 does.
http://jeffersonscher.com/FxPrefs/tabClose.html
wakanasakai

Post by wakanasakai »

I use zero tab-related add-ons, so they couldn't have caused this glitch. However, when I re-started firefox in safe mode, all 11 of the tabs had "close" buttons. Then I re-restarted firefox normally, & now all 11 of them still all have "close" buttons.

I have found what causes the glitch. My laptop's screen is 1600 x 900, & my firefox doesn't have any side or bottom frames to it's window (or lack of a window; my laptop has the abomination that is Windows 8). I have firefox's UI set up so that all of my tabs are displayed on their own bar. If I have 1 to 11 tabs, they all have a "close" button, but if I have 12 or more tabs, only the active tab has a "close" button. This is with the preference browser.tabs.closeButtons set to a value of 1.

Is there any way to make all of the tabs show a "close" button when I have more than 11 tabs, which is almost always?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

wakanasakai wrote:If I have 1 to 11 tabs, they all have a "close" button, but if I have 12 or more tabs, only the active tab has a "close" button. This is with the preference browser.tabs.closeButtons set to a value of 1.

Is there any way to make all of the tabs show a "close" button when I have more than 11 tabs, which is almost always?

It's dropping the close buttons in tab overflow mode, i.e. more than 10 or so tabs.

You fix it with this -

Code: Select all

.tab-close-button,.tab-close-button > .toolbarbutton-icon {
   display: -moz-box !important;
   opacity: 1.0 !important;}   
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
wakanasakai

Post by wakanasakai »

That looks like it would work, but what am I supposed to do with it? I understand that I'm supposed to edit something & add/change something to that, but what file am I supposed to edit?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

wakanasakai wrote:Is there any way to make all of the tabs show a "close" button when I have more than 11 tabs, which is almost always?

Keep Tab Close "X" Buttons Visible:

1. Type about:config in the Firefox address bar. Hit Enter.
2. Go to "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" in the list.
3. Right click, select "Modify", change to desired setting number.
4. Change setting to 1, default is 140.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
wakanasakai

Post by wakanasakai »

@ L.A.R. Grizzly
I just tested it, but the "close" buttons still don't show (except on the active tab) when I have 12 or more tabs.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

wakanasakai wrote:@ L.A.R. Grizzly
I just tested it, but the "close" buttons still don't show (except on the active tab) when I have 12 or more tabs.

Sorry it didn't work. I'm on a desktop machine. Maybe there's something else needed for a laptop.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Sorry it didn't work. I'm on a desktop machine. Maybe there's something else needed for a laptop.

Don't be silly [-X
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

malliz wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Sorry it didn't work. I'm on a desktop machine. Maybe there's something else needed for a laptop.

Don't be silly [-X

Well, I am silly! I just meant, maybe there's another config setting or something the OP needs for his 1600 x 900 resolution. I'm using 1024 x 768.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:You fix it with this -

Code: Select all

.tab-close-button,.tab-close-button > .toolbarbutton-icon {
   display: -moz-box !important;
   opacity: 1.0 !important;}   

WFM, thanks Frank, I was getting 9 tabs before the x button disappeared. :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Well, now I'm confused. I'm not using Frank's code and I can have 30 tabs open and my x buttons are on every tab! :-k
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

^ what else do you have installed that you forgot about having??

Don't know how you do "user" mods, but I have Greasemonkey, Stylish, and also have some mods in userChrome and userContent css files. Easy for me to forget about what I modded and where the mod was done.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.