Composer

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LoudNoise

Composer

Post by LoudNoise »

Since most the computers I am responsible for are currently running Firefox ESR and I am not looking forward to Version 24 I have been experimenting with SeaMonkey. If the extension community manages to fix most of the crap coming out of Mozilla I am likely to stick with Firefox at least for a while longer simply because of available themes.

That said, is there any reason for Composer to be in SeaMonkey any more? None of the folks I know who do web development use it simply because there are much better tools out there.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Rob_S

Re: Composer

Post by Rob_S »

Does it not also provide the engine for composing emails?

Considering the number of requests for improvements, and questions relating to composer that I've seen on this forum, I think it is getting more use than you might think.

It is most unobtrusive for those who DON'T use it, so why would you want to remove it?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I was just curious. I am poking around :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

It might be more work to spin off the Composer into an extension than just carrying it along in the main code... also, a lot is shared with Mail/News composition, thus there wouldn't be too much to spin off anyway.

Composer development has stalled for a couple of years. There have been incremental improvements, and quite a bit was actually done in the underlying Editor library which serves both Composer and Mail/News composition windows. The former lead Composer developer went on to work on Nvu (with a fork called KompoZer) and now BlueGriffon. I think there were talks to merge those improvements back into the original Composer, but it doesn't appear that much happened in this regard.
wasleys

Post by wasleys »

LoudNoise wrote:I was just curious. I am poking around :)

Here's one person who uses Composer a lot and would be sad to see it go.
tian_s

Post by tian_s »

Here is another person that uses composer. If only some bugs were fixed in composer, it would be a great application: simple, but complete enough for editing a wide range of websites. I hope it just stays the way it is (except for the bugs of course) and nothing will be merged back from nvu or BlueGriffon.
I already had a look into the code and hope I will be able to fix some bugs to make it usable again.