How to make the developers aware of a patch

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Sipaq

How to make the developers aware of a patch

Post by Sipaq »

I've developed a patch for <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=176177">bug 176177</a> or at least I've tried to develop a patch.

So what is coming next? How do I get this in? How do I make the devs aware of my proposed patch? I tried to send a mail to the Phoenix mailing list (8 days ago), but this mail got rejected, because I'm not whitelisted for the mozilla.org mailing lists. So I sent a request for whitelisting to the mozilla.org postmaster (6 days ago), but nothing has happened since.

So I sent a notification message to Asa (8 days ago) and to Hyatt, the bug owner (3 days ago). Also no reaction. I don't want to start whining, this is a patch for a trivial problem after all, but it would be really nice, to hear something from anyone, even if it is merely a automated reply telling me, that my mail(s) came through and somebody will get back to me, when he's not so busy anymore.
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
gemal

Post by gemal »

Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

This does not apply, because the rules for getting a patch into Phoenix are different to Mozilla's rules.

- In Phoenix CVS access is only granted to a very limited amount of developers.
- There is no formal peer review process in Phoenix
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
jonasj

Post by jonasj »

According to the FAQ in the release notes, "We read all of the feedback at the mozillaZine Phoenix forums". So I guess the place to make the developers aware of the patch is here.

The FAQ also says: "I sent you mail {telling you I'm an artist; congratulating you; asking you a question; reporting a problem} and you haven't responded!

We appreciate your e-mail. We've received a lot of mail and are still going through it all."

So they're probably just busy. Have patience.
asa

Re: How to make the developers aware of a patch

Post by asa »

Sipaq wrote:I've developed a patch for <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=176177">bug 176177</a> or at least I've tried to develop a patch.

So what is coming next?

The developers are aware of your patch (I provide them regularly with a query result for Phoenix bugs with attachments that are patches). They're all pretty busy lately so they haven't gotten to several patches that have been sitting in bugs. Thanks for the contribution.

--Asa
David James

Post by David James »

Asa,

Perhaps (and I do realize this is a little bit of extra work for you) you could post a one line acknowledgement in the bug report to the effect that the existence of the patch has been noted and is being considered. That I think would be enough to allay any concerns by patch makers that "nothing is happening".
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

David James wrote:Asa,

Perhaps (and I do realize this is a little bit of extra work for you) you could post a one line acknowledgement in the bug report to the effect that the existence of the patch has been noted and is being considered.

You are aware that there are close to 200.000 bugs reported in bugzilla?

Making small notes in each bug is more thne a full time job...
David James

Post by David James »

You are aware that there are close to 200.000 bugs reported in bugzilla?

Making small notes in each bug is more thne a full time job...

Yes, but that's not really an issue. Many of those bugs have been closed, resolved, duped, etc. And the great bulk of them are not Phoenix bugs either. Of those that are Phoenix bugs, most do not contain patches. Plus, Asa is already going about collecting a list of bugs that contain patches. So the only issue is how much work is it to post a one-line note in those bugs that the patch has been noted and is being considered? I'm not going to say one way or the other, because whilst it doesn't seem like much we also know how busy Asa is so it might be. I can live with it either way. At any rate the existence of 200,000 bug reports is hardly relevant. I'm also aware of how much work going through bug reports can be as I am one of Phoenix's bug triagers...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3