[Ext] Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2013.05.11.19

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zzzzzzzzzz

Re: [Ext] Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.2

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Bluefang wrote:Firefox does not appear to set the modification time anywhere obvious. However, that is also completely moot. The reason the modification time must be set after the file is fully downloaded is because each time the file is written to (i.e. as it is downloaded), the modification time is updated by the file system.
Oftentimes, I have checked the properties of files for which their downloads are in progress. I have noticed that the timestamp advertised remains constant until the end. This has been true regardless as to whether a download management application or Firefox is used.

I also ran a trial recently to examine the potential changing of the timestamp of the download in progress. I was unable to verify the changing of the timestamp of the file(s) in progress. The timestamp was the same for each check of the respective file(s). The checks were at least 60 seconds apart. The download took less than an hour to complete. The system clock was not fixed to be constant. I used Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 and also Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 with NTFS partitions.

I do note that a finished download file (after Firefox is finished with it) has the timestamp at or shortly around the time the file download completes when PDMTS is not used and Firefox is used.

After a quick search using Google, I found documentation on the Microsoft website that provides some related information. The documentation was available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx . The documentation seems to indicate (as an inference) that a file time of a file being written to is often not updated (while its "handle" is open).
I have tested the extension DownThemAll 2.0.13 ( http://www.downthemall.net/ ). The extension had the feature to set the file time of the server copy of a file. I observed behavior like that of Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.21.22. File times were appended to a downloaded files at the end of a file transfer and not before. The failure to use the file timestamp of the server copies of files when NOD32 antivirus system is installed was also observed.

The problems described in this thread seem to also apply to more than Preserve Download Modification Timestamp (this may or may not be because on extension might have been developed or adapted from the code of the other)
Cristianp

Re: [Ext] Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.2

Post by Cristianp »

Hello, I use PDMTS every day, Thank you, it's realy usefull!

Is it possible to upgrade this add-on for web.archive.org ?
because on web.archive.org Last-Modified header is called X-Archive-Orig-Last-Modified

Thanks
Bluefang

Re: [Ext] Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2013.05.1

Post by Bluefang »

Version 2013.05.11.19b
* Drop support for Firefox 19 and older.
* Drop support for SeaMonkey 2.16 and older.
* Add support for per-window peivate browsing changes in Firefox 20.
* Add support for X-Archive-Orig-Last-Modified (used on archive.org).
* Move to S4E build system. Support install.rdf localization.
* Added locales ja-JP
* Updated translations for: de, fr, pt-BR, sr, sv-SE, zh-CN

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/
Last edited by Bluefang on May 12th, 2013, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

We use this on a couple of our ESR machines (17.x). It isn't necessary all that often but it is handy when we download current navigation charts. Any chance of supporting 17 and above?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Just use the current stable version (2011.03.21.22). You won't be automatically updated to newer versions because they aren't compatible.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Are you aware of the change cited in the mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroup, thread started today with subject "nsIDownloadManager replaced by Downloads.jsm"? Does that affect this excellent extension? The change is per bug #825588 at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=825588, but also see bug #847863 at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=847863.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2013.05.11.19b is broken in SeaMonkey 2.20. At first, I thought this was caused by bug #825588; but that won't be implemented in an end-user release for at least 4 more months.

Note that I also tried Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2011.03.21.22. It too is broken in SeaMonkey 2.20.

=============================================================================

OOPS!! The extension (2011.03.21.22) does work with large downloads. It appears that it does not work only with very small downloads. I will try the latest 2013.05.11.19; if I do not comment further, it too works for large downloads.

My earlier comment about bugs #825588 and #847863 is still valid.
circcc

Post by circcc »

Not working with FF26.0b1.
Please fix it.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

The new downloads API does not provide access to the necessary information, so it will not work with Firefox 26+.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=918188
Jack Black

Post by Jack Black »

:idea: For the record, such feature does work on Fx 26 for files downloaded using DownThemAll! 2.0.16 (with the "Set file time to last modified time (server) or time of queuing" option).
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

That is because DownThemAll is an entire download manager and does not re-use any of Firefox's code.

PDMTS is not a download manager. It extends the the built-in download manager, which is not currently possible with Firefox's new download manager.
coolkips

Post by coolkips »

Bluefang wrote:That is because DownThemAll is an entire download manager and does not re-use any of Firefox's code.

PDMTS is not a download manager. It extends the the built-in download manager, which is not currently possible with Firefox's new download manager.

So, currently there is no way to preserve original timestamp while downloading using Firefox? :(
zzzzzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

Bluefang wrote:The new downloads API does not provide access to the necessary information, so it will not work with Firefox 26+.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=918188
Bluefang,

Has anything changed with regards to being able to extend Firefox to allow retaining of the file timestamp for more recent versions of Firefox?
zzzzzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzzzzz »

Bluefang wrote:
Version 2013.05.11.19b
* Drop support for Firefox 19 and older.
* Drop support for SeaMonkey 2.16 and older.
* Add support for per-window peivate browsing changes in Firefox 20.
* Add support for X-Archive-Orig-Last-Modified (used on archive.org).
* Move to S4E build system. Support install.rdf localization.
* Added locales ja-JP
* Updated translations for: de, fr, pt-BR, sr, sv-SE, zh-CN

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/
The version history information and download link navigation for Preserve Download Modification Timestamp 2013.05.11.19b has been removed from Mozilla's Add-on website.

The download is still, however, available directly:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... on-history
JanT

Post by JanT »

I used many years SeaMonkey with Preserve Download Modification Timestamp.
Some time ago I updated SeaMonkey from version 2.49 to 2.53 and PDMT isn't working any more.
Is SeaMonkey 2.53 not compatible with PDMT ?