FF21: No longer sees WMP Plug-in

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MarkRH

FF21: No longer sees WMP Plug-in

Post by MarkRH »

It seems that Firefox 21 does not recognize that the Microsoft® Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 1.0.0.8 is installed. It's simply not listed in the plug-ins (enabled or disabled). Needless to say, several things have stopped working.

Tried re-installing the plug-in to no avail.

It also no longer sees a Winamp plug-in.

Both worked fine in 20.0.1. Has FF21 changed it's plug-in detection scheme? Can I over-ride some option or setting to get these to appear again?

Thanks,
JayhawksRock

Re: FF21: No longer sees WMP Plug-in

Post by JayhawksRock »

Where is the DLL located? This file np-mswmp.dll. Mine is with my profile when using Portable Firefox..

See this to redownload and reinstall https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pl ... the-plugin
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

The file is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins

I already uninstalled and re-installed the plug-in with no change.

Looks like both the WMP and Winamp Plug-in files are here.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I copied the np-mswmp.dll file to: C:\Users\(removed)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cbwbhp2j.default\plugins

FF21 now sees the plug-in and everything now works that uses the WMP plug-in.

I had to create the \plugins folder within my profile before it would see it.

Looking at about:config and some of the options related to "plugin" filter. I am going to test a few things.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

MarkRH wrote:The file is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins

I already uninstalled and re-installed the plug-in with no change.

Looks like both the WMP and Winamp Plug-in files are here.

It seems that location should work. Does Winamp work? If it does then maybe MS media player has changed. I still use WMP 7 on XP and it works fine with the plugin
[edit]
You could also try placing the plugins folder in your user folder in the same location as the profiles.ini file and see if it works
Last edited by JayhawksRock on May 14th, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Ahhh.. I toggled the setting for plugins.load_appdir_plugins from false to true and now FF21 sees the missing WMP and Winamp plug-ins in their original locations.

My guess is FF21 sets this value to false by default now, causing it to not detect the existence of plug-ins installed in this manner. #-o
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Glad you got it sorted. =D> :)
nwg

Post by nwg »

Really? The plugin isn't updated yet to install properly, and the way to fix this is a hidden pref or moving the plugin manually? Solid work there. =D>
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Related to this with QuickTime plugin. Brilliant eh?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2690993&p=12793421&hilit=quicktime#p12793421
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
nwg

Post by nwg »

mightyglydd wrote:Related to this with QuickTime plugin. Brilliant eh?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2690993&p=12793421&hilit=quicktime#p12793421

Sometimes I can't understand wtf they're thinking. Let's say I have my WMP plugin and it stops working (which it did). I try to listen to online radio and it's not working, so I check out my plugins and the WMP plugin is not listed. So first thing that would come to mind is reinstall the plugin, which of course would do nothing. Then I would go to firefox support and read the same old article that hasn't been updated, and tells me to install the WMP plugin which is the same as it ever was. Then I'd start googling the problem, to find... a hidden pref! I mean WTF is wrong with these people?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I would suspect there will be a sticky about this in the near future.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
nwg

Post by nwg »

LoudNoise wrote:I would suspect there will be a sticky about this in the near future.

Still it bothers me that they would be so inconsiderate. They did this knowingly, without not even a notification and it's not something that the average user can fix easily. So to this user the browser feels and is broken.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

LoudNoise wrote:I would suspect there will be a sticky about this in the near future.

Probably worth trying to compile a list of affected plugins?

This solution also works for the dJVu Plugin Viewer. =D> I had searched in vain for a solution to that and in the end had to install Sumatra, which reads dJVus but insists on taking over all PDF functions as well and doesn't have as many features in the plugin as PDF-Xchange.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=844553 for some of the discussion about it.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Bug 872325 - Windows Media Player firefox plugin stops working after upgrade to v21.0

I've create a text file with the following data:

=== BEGINS HERE (no not copy this line) ==
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/np-mswmp,version=1.0.0.8]
"Description"="WMP Firefox Plugin"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\plugins\\np-mswmp.dll"
"ProductName"="Windows Media Player Plugin"
"Vendor"="Microsoft"
"Version"="1.0.0.8"

=== ENDS HERE (no not copy this line) ===

Rename it to "FirefoxWMPplugin.reg" and apply the fix to the Windows 7 SP1 x86 (32 bit machine) registry and worked fine!