Update Just now - 22.0 - JavaScript error with every click

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Eraserhead

Update Just now - 22.0 - JavaScript error with every click

Post by Eraserhead »

Just allowed the auto-update. When clicking any referral link:

[Javascript Application]
Error: Illegal Operation on WrappedNative prototype object.

tested on several sites. any link with java does it.

thoughts?

cheers
Last edited by trolly on May 17th, 2013, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected subject
DanRaisch

Re: Update Just now - 22.0 - Java error with every click

Post by DanRaisch »

1. JavaScript is not Java and Java is not JavaScript.

2. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

3. Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are discussed.
Eraserhead

Post by Eraserhead »

SOrry, I'm just a loyal user, not a hardcore geek, updated my browser as is usual, and this started...and wanted to report it. It didn;t happen before updating today's update. thanks....
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Eraserhead wrote:SOrry, I'm just a loyal user, not a hardcore geek, updated my browser as is usual, and this started...and wanted to report it. It didn;t happen before updating today's update. thanks....

Are you aware that you are on the Beta (Development area) where new Firefox stuff is built and tested... so, your current version is an untested version and could contain many areas under development.

Once you are on that channel... you stay there unless you install the official release...
If you do that (get the official one) ... I would backup up my profile 1st... if I were you...
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Mozilla — Home of the Mozilla Project — mozilla.org
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Nonsense, there's no point in having a beta unless a lot of people use it. It's also very unlikely to break your profile after going through testing in Nightly and Aurora.

Eraserhead: Your issue seems to be the same as the one reported here, and is likely related to an extension. Perhaps comparing your list of extensions with Fuziwuzi's will help narrow things down (unfortunately you may have to bisect which extension is causing it, as I explained in my post there).
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Nonsense, there's no point in having a beta unless a lot of people use it. It's also very unlikely to break your profile after going through testing in Nightly and Aurora.

But it can. You shouldn't be on this channel without the basic knowledge of how to trouble-shoot those errors that will occur, not least due to incompatibilities with extensions.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Eraserhead,

would you do me the courtesy of changing the thread title to "javascript" instead of "java"? it triggers my "java is not javascript" reflexes every time i see the thread title ... [*blush*]

you can change the title by editing the 1st post of the thread.

take care,
lee
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Nonsense, there's no point in having a beta unless a lot of people use it. ...

How much "help" can a user be to the testing process, when he doesn't know the difference between Java and Javascript?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Nonsense, there's no point in having a beta unless a lot of people use it. It's also very unlikely to break your profile after going through testing in Nightly and Aurora.

To add to what the others posted... it is not nonsense. The General public is sitting out there dumb as a bar of soap and have not clue what a Beta version of something is ... they just see stuff like on this link... and go for it.
Download Firefox 22.0 Beta 1 - FileHippo.com

Official release of version 22 to the "public" is still almost 6 weeks away ... lots of stuff can go wrong to a "non-tech" person if they think that they are using the final release of a product. I doubt most of them don't even know to back up a profile... or, what a profile is.
Ver Greeneyes

Re: Update Just now - 22.0 - JavaScript error with every cli

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I just see people warning others away from using the pre-release builds way too often. It's all well and good to educate them, but don't scare them away for no reason. If average users don't use the beta, major bugs will end up in the release and then where will we be? I'm not telling him to use Nightly, but Beta should be fine.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If average users don't use the beta, major bugs will end up in the release and then where will we be?

The problem is that there is no average user... there are very few tech-savvy and most of the others couldn't even find how to set home page... in any browser. Sad, but true.. and if I'm not mistaken Mozilla has a special area for downloading Beta stuff... with a lot more dialog about that fact that they are in a special area for testing and supporting the advancement of Firefox...and, what to expect... but, my link-example is only one of a number of sites who inventory programs that shouldn't be available to the public "unless" that public gets it from the manufacturer... as in Mozilla.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

FWIW - and to get this thread back on track - I'm getting this message on Facebook only (so far). There is a thread on GitHub, but it looks unresolved from Aurora?

https://github.com/scriptish/scriptish/issues/89
James

Post by James »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:I just see people warning others away from using the pre-release builds way too often. It's all well and good to educate them, but don't scare them away for no reason. If average users don't use the beta, major bugs will end up in the release and then where will we be? I'm not telling him to use Nightly, but Beta should be fine.

The first and second Beta builds of a version tends to be most problematic of the six or seven Beta builds that usually happen before release.
al**bear

Post by al**bear »

It has totally wrecked my Facebook and crippled an essential add-on
'Facebook Purity'

Error: Illegal Operation on WrappedNative prototype object.

on loads of other sites, it is impossible to copy & paste
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Did you try Firefox Safe mode?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"