How do you control "allowed sites" in FireFox ???

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mijangos

How do you control "allowed sites" in FireFox ???

Post by mijangos »

I just installed FireFox and I like a lot of it's features, but...

How do you control "allowe sites" in Firefox? In IE6.0, you go to Options/Content/Content Advisor/Settings/Approved Sites and type in the list of websites that are NOT allowed.

With 2 teenagers in the house, I like this feature. Will Firefox let you create a list of "not approved sites" ???
Zodder

Post by Zodder »

I do not believe so. Another feature it lacks and for that matter so does IE is the ability to "block all cookies except", really wish it has this.
Racer

Post by Racer »

"allowed" to do what?
You can set up per-site settings for JavaScript and Java if you want. There's some other settings too.

If you are talking about completely blocking a site, there are tons of ways to get around an in-browser block list (including IE's allowed sites).
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Zodder wrote:I do not believe so. Another feature it lacks and for that matter so does IE is the ability to "block all cookies except", really wish it has this.

Just disable cookies, and click on the "exeptions" button, and add all the sites which are allowed to set cookies with the "allow" button.
podge

Post by podge »

Zodder wrote:Another feature it lacks and for that matter so does IE is the ability to "block all cookies except"

In FF, you can go to Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies.

In XP IE you go to Start/Contol Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Internet options/Privacy/Advanced.

Click overide, then select your requirements. I have mine set to prompt for 1st party and block for 3rd and allow session cookies. When going to a site you then get a dialogue box asking if you want to (always if ticked) block or accept.
podge

Post by podge »

Damn! TychoQuad beat me to it! ;)
Zodder

Post by Zodder »

Hmm, tanks guys. While I was aware I could selectively block, unblock cookies, I was not aware I could block all and still be able to accept the ones in the list.
David H

Post by David H »

I think the he's talking about restricting *sites* from loading, not restricting cookies.

As a better option than trying to restrict firefox itself, I suggest editing your hosts file instead, which would make the blocking effective for all internet connections from your system, not just this one browser.

Kids can be clever though. Make sure they don't have administrator access allowing them to change the hosts file, or they'll be able to bypass your blocks.

Here are a couple of useful Firefox pages you may also be interested in. First is an extension for the Firefox Policy Manager, which works a lot like internet zones in IE. And when you get everything set up the way you like it, check out the tips on the kiosk browser help page for keeping others from changing the settings.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
mijangos

Yes, That is what I'm talking about David H.

Post by mijangos »

How do I edit the "Hosts file"? Where is it?

I want to list the web sites that are not allowed to load, like www.sex.com .
Ria

Post by Ria »

miek

Re: Yes, That is what I'm talking about David H.

Post by miek »

mijangos wrote:
I want to list the web sites that are not allowed to load, like www.sex.com .

you can't block stuff like that by blocking the browser, it's too easy to work around.

what you need is a proxy, and on that you can set up filters for anything with the word sex in it , things like that.
----
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
----
All-in-one gestures | firesomething | Gmail notifier | ieview | image zoomer | tab scroller | stumble upon | cute menus | signature
----