FX 23 - Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
L.A.R. Grizzly

FX 23 - Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

I just updated to FX 23 and I now have a tab showing in my Tab Bar with no other tabs open. Would someone be kind enough to give me the code to hide the tab when only one page is open? TIA
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on May 17th, 2013, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Frank Lion

Re: FX 23 - Hide Single Tab

Post by Frank Lion »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:I just updated to FX 23 and I now have a tab showing in my Tab Bar with no other tabs open. Would someone be kind enough to give me the code to hide the tab when only one page is open? TIA

You want something like this -

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar { border : none !important;}
#TabsToolbar { min-height: 0px !important;}
#tabbrowser-tabs tab[first-tab='true'][last-tab='true'] { display:none !important; }

The first two lines are there to tidy up the result of the third and they can either be dispensed with or adjusted, as required.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Frank Lion wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:I just updated to FX 23 and I now have a tab showing in my Tab Bar with no other tabs open. Would someone be kind enough to give me the code to hide the tab when only one page is open? TIA

You want something like this -

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar { border : none !important;}
#TabsToolbar { min-height: 0px !important;}
#tabbrowser-tabs tab[first-tab='true'][last-tab='true'] { display:none !important; }

The first two lines are there to tidy up the result of the third and they can either be dispensed with or adjusted, as required.

Thanks Frank! Didn't there used to be an about:config entry for this? I searched, but didn't find a related entry. I seem to remember it from older versions of FX. Anyway, your code works fine with Stylish!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Thanks Frank! Didn't there used to be an about:config entry for this? I searched, but didn't find a related entry. I seem to remember it from older versions of FX. Anyway, your code works fine with Stylish!

No problem.

There used to be the 'Always show tabbar' under Options>Tabs and browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab in about:config. But I've lost track of what versions if and when they went.

Anyway, glad the fix works for you. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Frank Lion wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Thanks Frank! Didn't there used to be an about:config entry for this? I searched, but didn't find a related entry. I seem to remember it from older versions of FX. Anyway, your code works fine with Stylish!

No problem.

There used to be the 'Always show tabbar' under Options>Tabs and browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab in about:config. But I've lost track of what versions if and when they went, mainly because my stuff is so far removed these days from default that I, er, forget what this stuff is supposed to do and look like. :)

Yeah, after digging around a while, I found this thread from about a month ago:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2687123
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
casey1992

Re: FX 23 - Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

Post by casey1992 »

This extension seems to work:

Hide Tab Bar With One Tab
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

You might see some funky stuff happening with session restores and restore closed windows, tabs appearing or not appearing quite as expected.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

lithopsian wrote:You might see some funky stuff happening with session restores and restore closed windows, tabs appearing or not appearing quite as expected.
I can recommend both Franks's solution and Chris's extension. I haven't had any trouble with either.

And if you're interested in a bit more background, ...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2688521
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
khagaroth

Post by khagaroth »

I always wondered why people would want this stupid behavior in a tabbed browser (together with closing window with the last tab), and now I'm even more baffled they even go to the lengths of restoring it once it was rightfully removed. So, just for educational purposes, WHY? What advantage does that give you?
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

khagaroth wrote:I always wondered why people would want this stupid behavior in a tabbed browser (together with closing window with the last tab), and now I'm even more baffled they even go to the lengths of restoring it once it was rightfully removed. So, just for educational purposes, WHY? What advantage does that give you?
If you mean closing the last tab, the fact is that about 90% of my surfing time is spent with only one tab open. Why do I need that little tab there? It takes space and looks silly.

Furthermore, having used this browser since its Netscape incarnation, it's about customization. Frank Lion is one of the godfathers in this realm. I think he'll corroborate that a big part of the Fx experience is getting it how you want and not how a developer thinks you should have it.

Lots of smart, committed people have spent lots and lots of time over the years producing output that makes Fx work the way they want. If I may ask, do you think we should get rid of all extensions, themes, etc., too?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

khagaroth wrote:So, just for educational purposes, WHY? What advantage does that give you?

The real question is actually 'WHY NOT?' and that's the way I think about anything that people want. I never ask them why, because I already know the answer, which is because that is how they want their setup to look/function. Good enough for me.

It's an attitude of mind, we live in a world where many, many people just accept what is given to them and grumble about things but do nothing if they don't like it.

There is also another breed of people who make things happen to how they would like things to be and empower other people to do the same. Not just with software programs either.

Just for educational purposes, Firefox was founded on the concept of infinite customability by its users and some of us continue to adhere to that principle. So, you see, if you really can't understand why, then you should be using another Internet browser.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It is also the strength of the Firefox model (originally anyway). I rarely have to live with things I don't like.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I always used that option to avoid the wasted space. Now, with tabs in the titlebar, there's no wasted space. The only thing I lost was browser version information in the titlebar, which was a Nightly Tester Tools option. I'm ok with the trade-off, but I don't call it stupid if someone prefers the old style.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

It's one thing to change the default action, Mozilla is notorious for ding that and confusing their users with a new default action, it's a whole other thing when they remove a pref altogether.

I can understand cleaning up the code, but I'm still trying to figure out how the uncompressed download (full download when you miss a daily update) went from less than 10MB in the days of 3.6 Namoroka to over 27.7 MB in the Nightly UX version.
D4rklight

Post by D4rklight »

I never thought I'd need an Add-on for something that I've used as a standard feature since day one...