thunderbird keeps asking for password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stinkydog

thunderbird keeps asking for password

Post by stinkydog »

version 17.0.5 thunderbird

hi
i have pop3 acct. [TalkTalk isp] suddenly Thunderbird keeps asking for password, but only for one address. the other 2 work ok

any ideas anyone

thanks
mark
DanRaisch

Re: thunderbird keeps asking for password

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete the old saved password for that account. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

hi

there is only one password as far as i know for all 3 accts, how can i check this.

edit: i just looked and found 6 addresses/passwords, 3 are redundant, but i did not find the address in question.[not there]. have deleted redundant ones and the 2 acct's STILL work, the address/acct in question still shows in thunderbirds left hand panel and in tools>acct settings, everything looks normal there

thanks
Last edited by stinkydog on May 28th, 2013, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Those three may not be redundant. If your email provider requires authentication when sending messages the extra 3 entries might be for the SMTP server, rather than duplication of inbound server passwords.

Do you have three accounts in Thunderbird in addition to the TalkTalk account?
Was Thunderbird previously entering the password automatically for TalkTalk but now is failing to do that?
Are you seeing a check box in the password request dialog which would instruct Thunderbird to remember the password?
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

answers are below ur questions

Do you have three accounts in Thunderbird in addition to the TalkTalk account?
not sure , how do i tell? , tried to work it out but cant tell

Was Thunderbird previously entering the password automatically for TalkTalk but now is failing to do that?
correct

Are you seeing a check box in the password request dialog which would instruct Thunderbird to remember the password?
correct. i have removed every password to see what happens, a separate password request dialog then pops up for each acct. at that point i successfully enter passwords for 2 of the 3 accts

thanx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

stinkydog wrote:Are you seeing a check box in the password request dialog which would instruct Thunderbird to remember the password?
correct. i have removed every password to see what happens, a separate password request dialog then pops up for each acct. at that point i successfully enter passwords for 2 of the 3 accts

And what happens with the third account?
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

it would seem that i dont know the password, [maybe there's one ive forgotten, how can i check?] its rejected, so i just click cancel and carry on without that acct

update: oh oh, i found a password for that acct, i didn't think i had used a different one. i must apologize for wasting ur time. but it still does not to work, am looking into the settings...

update: yesterday in "manage identities" > "multiple identities support" for the problem acct, i deleted an identical address"

i have discovered that the problem acct will send mail ok

Talk talk are have problems that could affect my acct so i will post again soon as thats cleared up

update: i receive mail now but if i try to get mail manual i get error: "Sending of password did not succeed…internal login failure…"
also, i don't mind sending a screen shot if it helps , as security is not an issue at all

thanx
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

pls see above post too

TalkTalk have fixed the problem i think as i now get the mail, but i still get error : "Sending of password did not succeed…internal login failure…" sometimes.
i wonder if i have changed something in the settings, inadvertently

thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What settings do you now have for the incoming server for that account? Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

as follows:

authentication: transmit insecurely
port 110
connection security: none
server: pop3.talktalk.net

back later this afternoon
thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, according to the TalkTalk Help pages the server name should be mail.talktalk.net and the Authentication method should be "Normal password".

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/broadband-w ... talk-email
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

looked and changed to mail.talktalk.net but there no "Normal password"option.

it seems to work as normal now except sometimes error says: password not transmitted server busy etc ets. sorry cant get it again to copy it

i will wait a couple of days and see how it does and report back. meanwhile thanks 4 ur help and going to the talk talk site

update; every things ok now, thanks very much

i have a problem with thunderbird not opening when in in F/Fox i click "email link" same thing clicking "email image". should i start another thread for this issue?
m
stinkydog

Post by stinkydog »

finished