Camino reaches its end

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Samuel Sidler
Camino Developer

Camino reaches its end

Post by Samuel Sidler »

Today we updated our website with the following note:

After a decade-long run, Camino is no longer being developed, and we encourage all users to upgrade to a more modern browser. Camino is increasingly lagging behind the fast pace of changes on the web, and more importantly it is not receiving security updates, making it increasingly unsafe to use.

Fortunately, Mac users have many more browsers to choose from than they did when Camino started ten years ago. Former Camino developers have helped build the three most popular – Chrome, Firefox, and Safari – so while this is the end of Camino itself, the community that helped build it is still making the web better for Mac users.

Thank you to all our loyal users, and to everyone who contributed in countless ways over the years to make Camino what it was.

Rest in peace old friend...
cleanhead

Re: Camino reaches its end

Post by cleanhead »

It's been pretty clear to all of us who've followed Camino closely that the end was near. I'll miss Camino and the lively discussions that have appeared in this forum over the years. It was a great run while it lasted. Thanks to all Camino's developers. Happy trails.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

What I'll miss is the small memory footprint compared to all those others listed, they just eat away at the RAM like it's a free lunch!
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Samuel Sidler wrote:Rest in peace old friend...

Indeed. We'll miss you, Camino and your community.

… and all those hours, over the past six or seven years, spend debugging, massaging pixels to look pretty on icons and Q&A'ing, over on the channel or here in the forums (has it really been that long? time flies when having fun…).

::sad mac::
NoPropsNeeded

Post by NoPropsNeeded »

Absolutely heartbreaking. It's always gonna be my third in line browser for when Chrome/Safari are acting up though.

Rest in peace dear friend.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

A sad sad end, but not unexpected. A giant thank you to all the developers that made this browser a marvel without equal. It is still the most stable browser for Mac, with the smallest footprint, so quite a pity that it had to go.
cybercat

Post by cybercat »

Very sad to see development end.

I've used Camino every day since when it was Chimera, and though experiencing a few minor glitches recently as technology begins to leave it behind, it's still my favourite browser. Heartfelt thanks to all the developers & contributors over the years who made it what it has been - a slim, sprightly, elegant & very user-friendly companion throughout the last decade.
TGV

Post by TGV »

I'm also sad to see it end. It was my favorite browser, which I opened straight on startup. Combining it with GlimmerBlocker and LittleSnitch, I thought I had very little to fear. And it was such a mac-like browser, even innovative back when browsers were considered unworthy of much attention. I will certainly miss the short cuts for the bookmark bar, its cookie policy management (try to change a cookie rule in Firefox...), its elegant history and bookmark lists, and its efficiency.

Thanks for the all the years.
skykingj45

Post by skykingj45 »

Damn! Many thanks to all the folks who made Camino work--I'm gonna miss it. Have been considering Chrome, presently use Firefox and Safari--anyone have comments on Chrome?
Cheers/Bill
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

Yes, thanks to all the developers, the forum moderators, and the forum members here who were always ready to help
when help was needed. A special thanks to RP Mozley, who made so many specialized builds of Camino for earlier Mac versions.
-John Thomas
JB

Post by JB »

Sadness prevails.... I always held out faint hope that some white knight would come riding in.... but let's look on the bright side. For 10 years we had a wonderful experience in browsing, much better than the 98% who didn't dare to try this hidden gem.
So, let's give some gratitude for those who worked so hard, for no money, developing this application all these years and to those who manned this board; trying to help any inquisitive, inexperienced and confused users.
I'd also like to give a shout out to Reinhold Penner who in developing "Camino Knight" and Caminicon" was pretty much the first to give us the add-ons that we loved and made our browsing experience so much better and more personal.
=D>

Ps. I am using Firefox Aurora. I like the Gekko feel and the (almost) nightly build experience. Safari seems slower and Chrome is just so "Evil Empire." [-(
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

skykingj45 wrote:Damn! Many thanks to all the folks who made Camino work--I'm gonna miss it. Have been considering Chrome, presently use Firefox and Safari--anyone have comments on Chrome?
Cheers/Bill

Now that Camino's gone Google Chrome is probably the fastest at loading and linking among the "major" browsers.
If you prefer to stick with a Mac product get Chromium, a product of the Free Open Source Software Mac User Group
that's almost identical to Chrome. If you're concerned about the possibility of being more closely tracked go to Google Dashboard and turn off (they call it "suspend") Google tracking and also delete your Google history. Yes, Google will actually allow you you to turn off its tracking. Chrome/Chromium also has many security and anti-tracking extensions similar to those for Firefox. But you have to try it to decide for yourself. If I can't have Camino I prefer Firefox.
-John Thomas
*MacMom*

Post by *MacMom* »

I have enjoyed using Camino over the years and am sorry to hear of its end.

Thanks to all who made this great browser work over the years.

The end is sad, though not unexpected.
loutest321

Post by loutest321 »

It is have a possibility to restart the project ? if you take your time and in the year a new camino possibility to out? please it's the best browser don't loose it thanks for your time. but trying please thanks.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

The source code is open and available. Anyone with the ability to code Objective-C, or the ability to recruit volunteers who can, is more than welcome to modify it. The reason active development has ceased is that (chiefly, among other reasons) people fitting that description became too scarce to keep up a viable development schedule.

cl