Allow a link to a commerical product

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
LoudNoise

Allow a link to a commerical product

Post by LoudNoise »

----
edit of someone else's post. Please see this post (and maybe a few others after it) for a brief summary viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2714741&p=12898211
-LoudNoise
----

phiw13 wrote:
@ LoudNoise, oh, come on…

It is a non-open source commercial product which I know nothing about. If the removal of a link when the name of the apparently abandoned software is very easy to search is sin then I am sinner. All I can ask for is for forgiveness.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Lost cause?

Post by cflawson »

If you don't know anything about it, you probably oughtn't to assume someone's being sleazy by linking to it. OmniWeb is a very highly respected piece of software, though it's never been terribly popular.

cl
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I didn't assume it was sleazy. I assumed that anyone interested in it could find it themselves by a simple search. If this is the what you folks are suggesting as a replacement for Camino let us know.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

fwiw, Omniweb is a free download nowadays, something you easily can see on the product page (it used to be shareware, I even paid for it, back when I was looking for a replacement for Firefox 1.0x - I ended up using Camino instead, Omniweb didn't really fit in my workflows).

Sadly Omniweb's development has stalled for reasons too long to write about it here (hint: developing a browser is hard, and competing for resources against well funded mega-corporations is even harder). That said, if someone still runs a 10.5 Leopard machine, I'd recommend it.

Plus, what cl says.

Hi, cl :).
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

All of which means that once their domain expires it will become a link farm. Why promote a dead bit of software?
Post wrangler
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

LoudNoise wrote:All of which means that once their domain expires it will become a link farm. Why promote a dead bit of software?

Link farm it won't be in the conceivable future. The Omni group is a very active software development shop with highly rated products for both OS X and iOS, fwiw. Try to do a bit of homework. And who knows if they'll revive Omniweb…
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

My homework begins and ends with what is going on here. I haven't the slightest care if Omni is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unless someone tells me that this is the successor to Camino the link will be removed when it appears.
Post wrangler
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

LoudNoise wrote:My homework begins and ends with what is going on here. I haven't the slightest care if Omni is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unless someone tells me that this is the successor to Camino the link will be removed when it appears.

Respectfully, that's an unreasonable position for someone who appears to be completely unfamiliar with Mac software to take. If you don't know enough to moderate an issue intelligently, you should exercise restraint and not edit users' posts on that topic at all.

cl
LoudNoise

Re: Allow a link to a commerical product

Post by LoudNoise »

Split off from here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2706197

To briefly summarize, I removed a link to a browser that at one time was being sold as shareware. This thread was the result.
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Omni group products are commercial products aren't they?
Post wrangler
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Look, speaking in my official capacity as a member of the team that developed Camino, just put the link back in the post. It's not hurting anything and it's useful information, the removal of which detracts from the meaning of the post.

I didn't want to play that card, but clearly someone has to.

cl
Samuel Sidler
Camino Developer

Post by Samuel Sidler »

From reading this thread, I have no idea why a link was removed to the well-respected OmniWeb browser, a browser that's existed since long before Camino, long before Safari, and long before Phoenix, Firebird, and Firefox.

While it is no longer under development, there's no reason it shouldn't be listed and linked to from the Camino forum. It's now freely available. If we can link to Camino, a no-longer-under-development free browser – who's domain could expire some day and turn into link bait – we can link to OmniWeb.

I've added the link back.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Is there any real purpose for the Camino forum now? Shouldn't it be locked?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The purpose of the Camino forum is to direct users to another browser at the moment. Ideally not to one that is no longer being developed.
Post wrangler