pop.att.yahoo.com suddenly stopped working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gw1500se

pop.att.yahoo.com suddenly stopped working

Post by gw1500se »

Some time between yesterday and today, TB (17.0.6 on Win 7) with ATT mail has stopped working. The error complains about an invalid password although the same password works with their web mail. The worse part is that I cannot get debug to work to see what is going on. From a command prompt I do the following:

set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=POP3:4
set NSPR_LOG_FILE="C:\tb.log"
start thunderbird

The following results:

null:profile-after-change
added
added
enigmail.js: Registered components
mimeVerify.jsm: module initialized
[object ChromeWindow]:mail-startup-done

When I quit TB, there is no log. Can someone help me figure out what ATT/Yahoo has changed? TIA.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
DanRaisch

Re: pop.att.yahoo.com suddenly stopped working

Post by DanRaisch »

* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks for the reply. The error is:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: Incorrect username or password.

The settings are the same as they have been since ATT outsourced their email services to Yahoo:

server name: pop.att.yahoo.com port:995
connection security: SSL/TLS
authentication method: normal password

SMTP server

server name: smtp.att.yahoo.com
port: 465
connection security: SSL/TLS
authentication method: normal password
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is the user name value for that account entered as the full email address or just the portion before the @ symbol. If the latter, try entering the whole email address then closing and restarting Thunderbird.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Its the entire address as it has always been. My real concern is why I can't get any debug output. Once I see that I can likely figure out what is wrong.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

No sooner did I send this when for no apparent reason it started working again. I have to assume something was screwed up with ATT and they just recently fixed it.