Lost cause?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

jlfish

Lost cause?

Post by jlfish »

Think of this as an extension of the thread I started last October, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2570933 ...

Developers: Thank you for all you have done to create Camino and keep it running to this point. But, it appears to me, a simple user, that Camino is kaput. I would love to have a reason to believe otherwise -- but with the last version being ancient in Internet years and no visible nightlies or indication that an update is in sight, I feel as though it's time to start the funeral procession.

Why? All the sites that are no longer compatible with Camino -- whether it's just an "old browser" warning, or features/functions (several documented here) that no longer work, or sites that simply do not display because the code is not properly parsed.

I don't want to use Safari; I don't like it. And I have to use Firefox at work, and it's just not as nice. It seems like I -- WE -- will have to adapt, though, unless those of you who make this wonderful program can convince us it will be made better. At least one respondent to my last thread thought there was no hope.

Is there?
David Munch

Re: Lost cause?

Post by David Munch »

http://caminobrowser.org is officially dead. :(

It was a good long run, but it has now come to an end.
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

Oh, my. How can I bring myself to delete this beautiful browser? [-( Of course it's possible to just keep on using it until Mac OS X Lynx or whatever makes it unloadable. But the issue of safety is real. However, all the "safe" browsers are bloatware. Of the Big Three, Chrome/Chromium is the fastest and some consider it the safest, but Firefox is a lot livelier these days then it has been in the past and has a lot more security extensions than Chrome. On my MacBook Pro with Mtn Lion, Safari loads slowly and tends to show the rotating wheel of death when rushed. It has few security extensions and I've been thinking of deleting it. Those who want to resist moving up to the Big Leagues might want to try http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/ OmniWeb

I actually paid for it when it was Shareware and I've never regretted the purchase.
-John Thomas
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Removed the link since it appears to be commercial and, should anyone want to change. they can easily search for the name.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

@ jwthomas
Hmm Omniweb is mostly abandon ware nowadays; it still uses a quite old version of the WebKit rendering engine (equivalent to Safari 5 / OS X 10.5). You might want to stay away from it…

Safari runs perfectly fine on my old iMac with Mountain Lion.

@ LoudNoise, oh, come on…
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moved the posts about moderation to here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2714741
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LarsS

Post by LarsS »

Thanks for making a kick-ass browser while it lasted and could be done. I do hope this won't be the end of any future projects like Camino. I wonder how many daily users like me that hate this news.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Note that their listed software will only run for fourteen days without a license.
Post wrangler
Samuel Sidler
Camino Developer

Post by Samuel Sidler »

LoudNoise wrote:Note that their listed software will only run for fourteen days without a license.

I'm not sure which listed software you're talking about, but if it's OmniWeb, this statement is patently false. OmniWeb is free as in beer now as Omni Group has opted to stop developing its frontend, while relying on the OS-provided WebKit backend.

Since you're not a Mac user, perhaps it would be better to not speak about Mac-related issues or products? At least not without a bunch of research, though in this case simply downloading OmniWeb proves your statement is untrue.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

LoudNoise wrote:Note that their listed software will only run for fourteen days without a license.

Now you're being difficult. Omniweb is a free application that doesn't require a license (and will run as long as you, the user, want). It is mentioned in that many words on the page linked above.

Thanks ss for reinstating the link.

----

While I'm at it (and stay a wee bit more on topic), some alternative browsers: iCab.de (shareware), Opera, but try Opera Next - that is the future Opera, using the blink rendering engine also used by Chrome, but much more pretty and without all the tracking and spying. Do read the blogpost and the subsequent ones.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Latest release: July 20 2012

I am sure that this release has solved all problems including those that have come to pass since 2012.

I realize that you are all bitter about this. It is a bit creepy but understandable. A post of reasonable alternatives, ideally in the forum, would be welcomed.
Post wrangler
rampancy

Post by rampancy »

LoudNoise wrote:I realize that you are all bitter about this. It is a bit creepy but understandable. A post of reasonable alternatives, ideally in the forum, would be welcomed.

Your condescending tone is insulting, not to mention the fact that you've stubbornly insisted on being ignorantly in the right even though you've been proven otherwise.
haleakalari

Post by haleakalari »

I'm surprised a Mozilla enthusiast and global moderator on mozillaZine would come here to beat Camino devs and users when they're already down.
the bemonstering of your ganache awaits!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Sorry. I just have this thing about suggesting things are no longer being supported as a replacement for something that is longer being supported. In the Apple world this may good a idea. In the Linux and Windows world it certainly isn't at all.
Post wrangler
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Just stop digging, dude. Pretty soon that hole is going to be too deep for you to climb out of.

cl