How to not autofill from: address field?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
crenelle

How to not autofill from: address field?

Post by crenelle »

Is there a way to get Tbird to quit guessing (horribly :) ) what the from: address is supposed to be?

(If I don't specify a from: address, I would like TBird to just not enable the Send button, or ask what the from: address should be.)

Regards,

-Mike
DanRaisch

Re: How to not autofill from: address field?

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I am aware there is no way to do that in Thunderbird. You could check on AMO to see if an extension exists for the purpose but I haven't come across one in my visits. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

How many accounts do you have set up in Thunderbird and have you set up separate SMTP servers for each one of those accounts? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy crenelle,

while i don't know of any way to get it to ask for a TO address, you _can_ disable address autocompletion. you do that thus ...
- tools/options/composition/addressing/address-autocompletion
- UN-check the "local address books" and the "directory server" items

for your "don't enable the send button until an address is entered" idea, there is a bug on that - and it's being worked on. i suspect it will be in the next major release of tbird. [it seems to be only for the TO field, tho.]

take care,
lee

-ps
i managed to miss that the point is the FROM box, not the TO box. [*blush*] thanks to DanRaisch for so gently pointing it out. [*grin*]
lee-
Last edited by Lee_Dailey on June 1st, 2013, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could use the Folder Account add-on to specify what identity (from: address) should be used by default, based on the currently selected folder in the folder pane. If that's not what you want to do, look at the list of multiple identity related add-ons near the bottom of http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account . The Identity Chooser add-on for example forces you to select an From: address before composing the message. It also uses colors to help you chose the right email address.
crenelle

Post by crenelle »

I have a few accounts.

I never pay attention to which mailbox is open when I'm writing mail, because knowing which mailbox is open has nothing to do with writing a mail message, it has no relationship with whatever account I need to send email from at any given moment. I write a memo for account A, then one for account B, then one for account A again, then one for account C, and so on. If I am sending a reply, then the from: field can be autofilled, but other than that, using no default is desired, since it'll be w0rng. That's why if the from: field isn't filled, TBird should just not enable Send. I will set the from: field.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't think there is any way to disable Send like you want. Use the Identity Chooser add-on. It won't let you write the message without explicitly selecting the From: address first.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
david835

Post by david835 »

This addon works nicely, except that you have to choose your identity from your entire long list before starting to write the reply.

An ideal solution would allow you to write a reply (optionally save it in the Drafts folder) then choose the identity after clicking Send.

Even better, it could scan the outgoing message and guess at the set of relevant identities (almost AI, but not quite).

But the addon is definitely better than being forced to choose a default account or identity. There can be repercussions for making the wrong choice!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Locked as the thread is over a year old.