Unable to see a copy in "Sent" folder of yahoo Thunderbird 1

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
yemulss

Unable to see a copy in "Sent" folder of yahoo Thunderbird 1

Post by yemulss »

Hello,

I am sending outgoing emails using smtp.mail.yahoo.com , it works fine. I had set the Thunderbird 17.0.3 to copy sent emails to "Sent" folder on my yahoo account.

Also yahoo settings on mail.yahoo.com has "Copy" When sending messages Save a copy of the message in Sent Folder.

But I do not see any copy of emails sent using Thunderbird. If I send email using yahoo thr' website, it does make a copy.

Is there something wrong or settings wrong or TB 17.0.3 has this issue ?

Regards
Sham
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Unable to see a copy in "Sent" folder of yahoo Thunderbi

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy yemulss,

[1] what type of account - IMAP or POP?

[2] where is the SENT folder you are looking at - in tbird or in the webmail interface accessed thru your browser?

[3] the current version of tbird is 17.0.6
is there a reason you are staying on an older version of the app?

take care,
lee
yemulss

Post by yemulss »

Dear Lee,

thanks for the response,

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy yemulss,

[1] what type of account - IMAP or POP?

POP3

Lee_Dailey wrote:[2] where is the SENT folder you are looking at - in tbird or in the webmail interface accessed thru your browser?

I am checking on the web interface accessed thr' web browser, it does show a copy on Thunderbird

Lee_Dailey wrote:[3] the current version of tbird is 17.0.6
is there a reason you are staying on an older version of the app?

take care,
lee

Sorry, a typo mistake, I checked again, its 17.0.6 you are right the current version, I am using the same.

Regards
Sham
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy yemulss,

thanks for the info!

the way that POP accounts work is to download _only_ the INBOX from the server - and to _never_ upload anything. POP only shows the INBOX to your email client, so tbird never sees anything else.

when you send from tbird to the SMTP mail server, that [usually] does not cause the mail to show up on the webmail SENT folder. the copy in the tbird SENT folder is put there by tbird and has no connection to the SENT folder you see via webmail.

if you want to have all the folders show up in all clients [desktop and webmail] you need to use IMAP. many ISP accounts do not allow IMAP, so that is something you may not be able to do.

i can't think of any reasonable way to get mails sent from tbird to show in webmail when using a normal POP account. well, you could email them to yourself and then copy them to the webmail SENT folder ... but that seems unreasonable to me. [*grin*]

_some_ email systems _do_ automatically copy things you send via their outbound servers to the webmail view. gmail does that if you use their SMTP server.

take care,
lee
yemulss

Post by yemulss »

Dear Lee,

thanks for the clarification, I guess yahoo does support imap, I am not sure , I will try the following

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/bizmail/pop/pop-39.html

Regards
sham
rais

Post by rais »

yemulss wrote:Is there something wrong
if you sent emails from TB and they showed up in yahooz Sent folder,, I think most people would consider that a horrible defect #-o
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy yemulss,

yes, yahoo does support IMAP. if you want to keep your various email programs - desktop client[s], webmail, and mobile[s] - synchronized, then the only reliable way to do that is via IMAP. it's specifically designed for just that.

i have two independent yahoo accounts and access my primary one via POP and the secondary one via IMAP. both methods work well as long as one remembers the different intent of each method.

here's some info on IMAP if you want to review the idea ...
IMAP - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you decide to change to IMAP, the usual way is to ...
- disable mail checking for your POP account in tbird
[to prevent new msgs from showing up in a tbird account you will eventually get rid of]
- set up a new account in tbird using IMAP
- make sure it is working as you desire
- copy msgs from the POP account folders on tbird to the IMAP account folders in tbird
- make sure they show up in the account as seen via your webmail [*grin*]
- disable or delete the POP account in tbird

take care,
lee
yemulss

Post by yemulss »

Thanks lee for complete details on IMAP

I plan to use IMAP only for outgoing emails , because thats where I am facing problem right now, just want to keep a copy in sent folder(previously I use to send emails using thunderbird plugin webmail, yahoo plugin etc it use to keep a copy in sent folder, recently I changed outgoing to pop because webmail plug-in sometimes gives error for html composed emails :( )

I will update you once I check it how it goes. thanks again.

Regards
sham
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

yemulss wrote:I plan to use IMAP only for outgoing emails
In that case you need to set up a separate account which you only use to send mail and where you don't receive mail. I strongly suggest you think about this some more as I don't think it is very practical.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy yemulss,

first, you are quite welcome! glad to help a tad when i can ... [*grin*]

second, i agree with Freee!! that using IMAP for only outbound mail is problematic.

what is your reasoning for doing it that way? perhaps there are other ways to achieve what you want without the tangled workflow you will get using both IMAP and POP for the same email address.

take care,
lee
yemulss

Post by yemulss »

rais wrote:
yemulss wrote:Is there something wrong
if you sent emails from TB and they showed up in yahooz Sent folder,, I think most people would consider that a horrible defect #-o

Sorry if I am not clear, it does copy email in sent folder if I send email using webmail yahoo plug-in for thunderbird. the outgoing mail server will be localhost in such case, you might be knowing this.

but emails thr' this plug-in gives error sometime for html formatted text.

Regards
sham
yemulss

Post by yemulss »

Lee_Dailey wrote:second, i agree with Freee!! that using IMAP for only outbound mail is problematic.
what is your reasoning for doing it that way? perhaps there are other ways to achieve what you want without the tangled workflow you will get using both IMAP and POP for the same email address.

Thanks Lee, Freee!!!

let me know alternatives, I had problems using webmail yahoo plugin for thunderbird , it gives error sometimes for html formatted emails. it does copy emails to sent folder of yahoo on web(as well as a copy on thunderbird)
I use localhost as server when using this plugin for outgoing smtp server name.

Regards
Sham
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy yemulss,

unless we know _why_ you prefer to use POP instead of IMAP, i can't give you any more advice. IMAP does what you seem to want - POP does not.

the webmail extension is - as you pointed out - problematic at best. [*grin*]

take care,
lee