Unable to save messages to outbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
A_m_ie

Unable to save messages to outbox

Post by A_m_ie »

When I use the Mail Merge, it gives me an error message each time: "There was an error saving the message to Outbox. Retry?"

When I click Ok, it gives me the same message again and again.
When I click Cancel, it shows me the following error window: "Unable to save your message in order to send it later.
Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again."

It seems like the problem popped out of nowhere, as I've been using Mail Merge successfully for months.
I use Thunderbird v 17.0.6 on MacBook with OS X 10.7.5
Mail Merge Add-on v 3.5.0

Please, advise!
DanRaisch

Re: Unable to save messages to outbox

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move any of the messages currently in your Unsent messages folder to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the Local Folders sub-directory of your Profile folder. Delete both the file "Unsent messages.msf" and the file "Unsent messages" with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Outboxc folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Outbox folder from the sub-folder created above to the Outbox folder. Compact the Outbox folder after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
A_m_ie

Post by A_m_ie »

Wohoo! The problem is solved. Thanks!

Looks like the Unsent messages folder was just full. Is it the best way to clean up unnecessary messages?
After all I even didn't know that Thunderbird stored the letters that I deleted previously. The file "Unsent messages.msf" appeared to be about 5 GB
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, that procedure is not necessary unless a problem of the sort you experienced occurs. Normally it is sufficient to compact the message folders on a regular basis.
A_m_ie

Post by A_m_ie »

Oh, now it makes sense, thanks! I thought that compacting was a sort of archiving existing messages and aborted it on purpose. I did start receiving letters from future or distant past sometimes. But I didn't pay attention as they appeared to be junk.

Anyway, thanks for a fast response and assistance!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.