TB stop notifying new messages.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
whc0216

TB stop notifying new messages.

Post by whc0216 »

I am using Thunderbird 17.0.4, and it worked fine until few days ago, it suddenly stopped notifying when new messages arrive (alert window, and sound).

What I tried were:
- I checked options->general tab and everything when new messages arrive is checked.
- There are also no changes on my computer between the time that Thunderbird worked properly and not properly (showing notification vs. not as for now).
- I also turned off Anti-virus program and Thunderbird add-on to check, but still nothing worked.
- On Window compatibility, I checked "run as administrator", and "vista service pack 2"
- I tried another 17.0.x versions to see what's going on. (I deleted profile files every time I did).
- I also downgraded to Thunderbird 3.x.x, and it still does the same thing. Notification worked for the first time after I installed, then when I closed the program and opened again, when new messages arrive, it does not alert anything.

Can someone help me on why it behaves like that all the sudden, and how I can fix it?
Thank you so much.
tanstaafl

Re: TB stop notifying new messages.

Post by tanstaafl »

You can still get and read new mail, you're just not notified by the popup window/sound anymore?

See if help -> restart with add-ons disabled makes any difference. Perhaps your problem is due to a add-on.

Why are you setting any compatibility mode settings under windows 7? I don't need to do that. The only thing that might be unusual about my configuration is that I disabled UAC. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4820/how ... windows-7/
whc0216

Post by whc0216 »

Thank you so much for your reply. But I already tried it and it didn't work :(
So it used to work perfectly until few days ago, it stopped working suddenly and between that time, nothing changed on my computer, TB, and so on.
tanstaafl wrote:You can still get and read new mail, you're just not notified by the popup window/sound anymore?

See if help -> restart with add-ons disabled makes any difference. Perhaps your problem is due to a add-on.

Why are you setting any compatibility mode settings under windows 7? I don't need to do that. The only thing that might be unusual about my configuration is that I disabled UAC. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4820/how ... windows-7/
atori

Post by atori »

I have the same problem. It appeared right after monthly Windows updates previous week. Os - Win 7 64 bits. Thunderbird 17.0.6. Also tried compacting folders, which didn't help.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I'm seeing the same thing with a SeaMonkey aurora-channel installation on Windows 7, rather randomly alerts aren't showing in the taskbar (no icon, no balloon) while the folder is bolded and shows the number of unread messages as usual. A few of the usual tricks (reloading the profile from a backup, starting up once in safe mode to purge any caches, etc.) sometimes work, sometimes they don't. Interestingly, my Thunderbird 17.0.6 installation doesn't show the issue and always presents me with an alert.

It sure may be that a recent Windows update interfered with the process somehow, but it feels a bit like searching for the needle in the haystack to figure out which components are involved and when the glitch strikes.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

This was reported to have happened with Thunderbird 10.0 already, but no further clues from the bug report (#727790).
Trel

Post by Trel »

I'm the reporter of that bug. It started in version 10 when I switched to Windows 7, and it's never worked consistantly since.
Grapedy

Post by Grapedy »

I'm having the same problem on Windows 8. I did Windows updates middle of last week and my tray notification icon works sporadically. I depend on the thing! I've uninstalled and reinstalled and it didn't work. I run four IMAP accounts through TB. The tray icon works on three of them, but not on my main account. The only add-on I run is Bamboo Reader.

The three accounts it works on are domain name emails routed through the Gmail services, and the one it doesn't work on is my main email which is straight Gmail. It's set in Windows 8 settings to show up with new mail, but it doesn't. Turning on the pop-up notification doesn't work either.
Bill1426

Post by Bill1426 »

I know this is out there, but it started happening to me after I get an Android phone (on Saturday), and setup my gmail using the gmail app on the phone.
My other gmail account that I did not setup in the Android has no issues getting notifications. On Thunderbird, I get the mail, and get the number of unread emails next to the folder, but no notification on the one account. Both gmail accounts are setup as IMAP on Thunderbird.
I would hate to add the other gmail account to my Android to see if that notification breaks also..
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Wait a second - is everyone who is seeing this running into the issue with Gmail IMAP accounts? If yes, that might be a clue given that they have a rather unconventional implementation of their IMAP service (and would explain why I don't see it with my other 17.0.6 installation on the same machine which doesn't have any Gmail accounts configured).
Bill1426

Post by Bill1426 »

As of this morning (around 9:00am ET), I started getting notifications again on Thunderbird.. Google/Gmail must have fixed an issue..
I hope this is not temporary..
Grapedy

Post by Grapedy »

Bill, mine just came back too. And now it's gone again. If everyone who's having problems is indeed having it with Gmail IMAP I'll probably poke around in Gmail and see what I can find. Maybe try turning some stuff off and on again.

I run all of my Gmail addresses on my phone as well, have for three years. I use the built-in Gmail app that comes on Android phones. At least for me my phone has nothing to do with it.
atori

Post by atori »

rsx11m, I have tested gmail IMAP and another email provider on POP3. I confirm, that there is no such issue with POP3: I see alert popup as well as an icon with envelope in the tray in case of POP3. Gmail IMAP still doesn't work. I have 2 gmail accounts, one of which is bound to android. There is no difference, to which account to send a message - in any case there won't be any alert for IMAP.
Bill1426

Post by Bill1426 »

I tested it just now (5:50pm ET), and mine is still working...
Grapedy

Post by Grapedy »

I turned my IMAP forwarding off in Gmail online, closed my browser, restarted my browser, and turned my IMAP forwarding back on. So far so good and it's working.