Adobe Captivate 7 Compatibility

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
joey87

Adobe Captivate 7 Compatibility

Post by joey87 »

I have been trying to find as much as I can on the topic and it seems that each party (Mozilla and Adobe) keep blaming each other for the issue and no one is offering up explanation as to why the problem is occurring or how to fix it.

We wish to use Adobe Captivate 7 to make e-learning animations but in Firefox, a popup window appears infron of the animation stating "This browser does not support some of the content in the file you are trying to view. Use one of the following browsers: Internet Explorer 9 or later, Safari 5.1 or later, Google Chrome 17 or later".

After you click "OK", you can stil watch the animation in full- no worries. I have spoken on the phone with Adobe Support about this and they claim they cannot offer Firefox compatibility because Firefox itself does not support all the functionality. On the other hand, Mozilla has said that this is a flaw in Adobe and that they need to take charge to fix this issue.

I want to know the following:
1) What features exactly cannot be used with Firefox
2) Is there any plan on making a patch to bridge this gap in the browser.
DanRaisch

Re: Adobe Captivate 7 Compatibility

Post by DanRaisch »

1) We don't know and 2) we don't know. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. Please don't jump to the wrong conclusion because Mozilla is part of the forum name.

Since Adobe is saying that Firefox doesn't offer support for all of the functionality of their product, wouldn't they be the right ones to identify just which functionality is not supported?

Also, if this issue is anything like the ongoing problems people have been having with Adobe Flash running in Firefox, the issue really is on the Adobe side, but they seem to have problems figuring out how to overcome the problems.
joey87

Post by joey87 »

Sorry, I was on the official Mozilla forum and was pointed here for extra help because there was a larger developer base here. I have asked Adobe what features are not supported and I get vague answers and just "it's not compatible with Firefox"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Someone posted an edit to the index.html file generated by Captivate 6 to remove the error message. Does it work in 7?

Adobe Community: How to remove browser warning message in HTML 5 Cap 6 projects?

Not sure removing it completely is the best solution, but unless there is a way to tailor it to be more accurate, maybe it's the best you can do for now.
joey87

Post by joey87 »

I have found 3 lines of code in a file called cp.js which displays that popup box for the incompatibility. When I remove those the box is no longer there and just the play button to start. But I wanted to know what was so big that Adobe wouldn't even list Firefox as a browser for a published Captivate package.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Web Development.
vvolz

Post by vvolz »

joey87 wrote:I have found 3 lines of code in a file called cp.js which displays that popup box for the incompatibility. When I remove those the box is no longer there and just the play button to start. But I wanted to know what was so big that Adobe wouldn't even list Firefox as a browser for a published Captivate package.

Dear Joey,
Could you please tell me exactly what those lines are in the cs.js file? I thought it was this:
RuntimeBrowserDetect.init('This browser does not support some of the content in the file you are trying to view. Use one of the following browsers:<ul><li>Internet Explorer 9 or later</li><li>Safari 5.1 or later</li><li>Google Chrome 17 or later</li></ul>','Adobe Captivate','OK');

but I think I'm missing something because removing that didn't work.

Thanks.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
You might be lucky to get a response from Joey, after 3 months.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
vvolz

Post by vvolz »

It was worth a shot.
joey87

Post by joey87 »

Hi Everyone, removing that line of code just stops the message from appearing - it doesn't allow the animation to start automatically. Messages such as that are a potential customer deterrent and then the user would not even click play thinking their browser is incompatible.