Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

This thread pretty much covers every solution. If you've tried everything mentioned in all 8 (now 9) pages and nothing worked, you have my sympathy. Keep reading the new posts, new answers keep cropping up.
Last edited by greenknight on March 8th, 2005, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Maybe it would be an idea for those who lose bookmarks for no explanation to mention what kind of bookmark related extensions they might have like Sort Bookmarks and what version. These bugs could be due to an extension and if we can track it down we could pass on the issue to the extension author and prevent this from happening to other people.
SRSCS

Post by SRSCS »

No extensions used, just whatever came with v0.9.3.
bulibuta

Post by bulibuta »

ok, i read the hole post!

i'm a slack10.1 user, linux user, and run firefox 1.01...
i was watching a video on xine, when my divx lib's crached, that happens while it's still in progress...that;s not the point!
i had to force reboot, fix lost innodes and stuff...
when i was finished i entered X and started Firefox, i wanted to access the bookmarks...nada!
instead i've got a single profile, default, no bookmarks (evan firefox), no temp/back=up file (i.e. bookmarks.html.bak)
i'll go and fetch the extension mensioned above, but my hole library of bookmarks...is it rollback-up-able?!
thanks for help...
Raindancer

Post by Raindancer »

Yesterday starting Firefox 1.0.1 on Win XP Prof. Sp2 - and all Bookmarks are blown by the wind.

I tried all Tips given in this Forum. (firefox -p, looking for File or Folder *.slt etc.)
I found nothing. No bookmarks, no file *.slt, no folder *.slt or something like this.
In profile manager is just 1 entry: default - that's all folks.

I know the same problem from Mozilla which my employer uses at workplace. Every some weeks all
bookmarks are gone to nirwana .....

I decided not to use Firefox anymore. No thanks. I go back to Slimbrowser, where I never had
problems for months !!!

If someone is interested - last extension and theme I installed two days ago were:
Image Zoom and Silver Skin.
But, really, I don't believe that they are the bad ones.
futz1

Me too - incredibly annoying

Post by futz1 »

Guest Number 6 wrote:I've had the same problems as most people here.
I shut down last night, turn back on this morning and lo and behold my favourites and tabs have gone. The HTML files are empty, there are no .chk files, no bookmarks.html.moztmp files and none of the methods in this thread have worked.

This is a problem that really shouldnt happen. Sigh.

Yup. Same deal here. No reason for it at all. It just happened this morning. I'll rebuild and start backing em up, but this should never happen.

Post by Guest »

:(
futz1

Post by futz1 »

mcm_ham wrote:Maybe it would be an idea for those who lose bookmarks for no explanation to mention what kind of bookmark related extensions they might have like Sort Bookmarks and what version. These bugs could be due to an extension and if we can track it down we could pass on the issue to the extension author and prevent this from happening to other people.

None. Totally stock v1.01
dantesdead

screwed

Post by dantesdead »

stoneskull wrote:Well, it turned out I was lucky.. and I thought I'd add this as I didn't see it mentioned.

Check your scandisk/chkdsk .chk files (FILE0000.chk, FILE0001.chk, etc usually put in FOUND.000 folder). My bookmarks were there as one of those files, put there because something went awry I guess.

Whew.

I didn't create any new profiles. Just opened up firefox and the bookmarks were gone. I looked for .chk files, but found nothing like "FILE0000.chk" or "FOUND.000 folder" or anything that seemed to have bookmarks in it.

Any ideas?

Please don't point me towards a bookmark backup extension.

thanks
gaif

Post by gaif »

There is a backup of bookmarks.html, named bookmarks.bak. find it in your profile folder, no need any extension. You'd better to recover it when your found your bookmarks lost.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You should always look at the bookmarks.bak file for lost bookmarks,but unfortunately it sometimes gets wiped,too. That's why you need a backup extension.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.

Post by Guest »

Hi, I just found the bookmarks.html file (opened up in the IE browser when I clicked it), but I have no clue what to do next.

Any help? :)

Post by Guest »

Hi, I just found the bookmarks.html file (opened up in the IE browser when I clicked it, and my old bookmarks are there), but I have no clue what to do next.

Any help? :)

Post by Guest »

Double post, sorry!

Post by Guest »

Nevermind, I figured out another way to do it.

All I did was click:

Start
Find (files or folders)
typed in bookmarks.html, found it, clicked it (automatically opened in the IE browser)
right clicked the mouse (in the IE browser), clicked "select all"
Exported the Bookmarks on to my Desktop
opened Bookmarks Manager in Firefox
clicked "File"
selected Import
Click "from file"
click "Next"
popup window opens, look in Desktop, and open it.

It worked for me atleast.