Firefox Won't Install - Windows 7, 64-bit

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DJFo

Firefox Won't Install - Windows 7, 64-bit

Post by DJFo »

Having been using the beta and then the RC, my FF apparently updated to the official 4.0 when it was released. However it was still showing as Beta 6 in my start menus and shortcuts which was an annoyance. I uninstalled Beta 6 to start afresh but now cannot install 4.0.

When I click to run it, it shows the usual Windows UAC dialog which I accept, and then the installation file extracts - and then nothing. I've also tried running it in various compatibility modes with the same result - it 'extracts' and nothing happens. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.
Starquest

Re: Firefox Won't Install - Windows 7, 64-bit

Post by Starquest »

Try a silent install using the command line like this:

"Firefox.exe" -ms
DJFo

Post by DJFo »

Thanks for the reply - still didn't work sadly. Comes up with the Windows UAC and then nothing afterwards

Post by Guest »

OK so after several attempts at installing previous betas and proper versions, they all do the same thing - so god knows what's going on....

I've seen one other comment on the net by someone with the same problem, also running Windows 7 64 bit, but they had no replies to their problem.

In pure desperation I just copied the program folder from my Vista Laptop onto this computer and bizarrely it is actually working.

Obviously not an ideal situation as it's not 'properly installed' in the Program list, but I'm stuck as to what else I can try.....?
DJFo

Post by DJFo »

Well just in case anyone else ever has this problem, here is the solution with thanks to some helpers on Mozilla's chat

If you try to install and the program just disappears after extraction, then you can use 7Zip to unzip the installation files to the Desktop (or wherever). You can then run the setup from there as normal.
thrashingwumpus

Post by thrashingwumpus »

I had this problem. I fixed it by right-clicking and using "Run as Administrator."
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I really don't think that after 2 + years, that anyone is still interested in this thread.

Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)