Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CrackTipe

Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

Post by CrackTipe »

What happened? I use Windows 7 with the DPI set at 125%. In the past Firefox would just upscale a few things (the tab bar text, menu text, etc). But now every sight is ginormous.

Anyway to turn this new feature off?
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
See if this thread helps > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2721941
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
CrackTipe

Post by CrackTipe »

The only good bit of info I got out of those threads was this:

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx change -1.0 to 1.0

But doing that changes EVERYTHING (the tab text, etc, which can't be adjusted with NoSquint)
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

CrackTipe wrote:But doing that changes EVERYTHING (the tab text, etc, which can't be adjusted with NoSquint)
Is this what you're looking for? (Theme Font & Size Changer) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss Setting the font to 15 enlarged the bookmarks text, text in tabs and the Fx dropdown (menu) as well. Here's a link how to fix that without the extension but I am too much of a noob in how do it. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2721983
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Example of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx change = 1.0 and Theme Font & Size Changer set to 15:

https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/u ... 1757e3.png
CrackTipe

Post by CrackTipe »

Thanks for all your help guys, but I'm not gonna jump through hoops just to get the font looking decent. I think I'm Chrome bound.
willarson

Post by willarson »

have to agree with CrackTipe. This whole deal about do this or do that or go into windows and change the resolution or the font DPI or blah blah blah. Why should myself and, obviously, many many others have to suddenly change every thing to accommodate some poor programming. I used to use Netscape in earlier years and jumped on the Firefox band wagon for the last ten years. I have never known it to be this disgusting. Now, when others say Firefox sucks, I will be forced to agree. It appears that government spy Chrome is taking the lead. Gee I wonder why? It would appear that the Fox has been badly wounded.

Why the strike out? Because I was concerned about me ....not them(coders). Expect them to be perfect....NOBODY is.
Last edited by willarson on July 3rd, 2013, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James

Post by James »

Let's stop with the conspiracy theories and insults on Mozilla and Firefox please.
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

James, I understand completely that there is no reason to attack you or any kind helper because of firefox evolutions, but please, just a tiny little bit, please forgive the long term users who have no other way to vent their anger, save to come here, find a solution, express thanks, and, in the process, curse the programming of firefox ;)

Personally, I'm in that situation.
I'm greatly infatuated with firefox, it has great coding and its extensions provided everything I wanted out of it.
But suddenly, BAM, because of a massive change coming with DPI management with FF22, we have either the choice to have too large of everything, or deactivate the upgrade (-1 to +1), use a zooming adjustment extension, and bear with the nanoscopic non-zoomable stuff.
SERIOUSLY ?
Forcing everyone to go through a process of having to adjust several settings ?
Forcing everyone to change user experiences on every web page ?
Forcing everyone to add or deactivate extensions, and go into the about:config ?
There's no shame in accepting resentment when you've done a bad job, it happens. And I hope that some firefox coders may read this, this isn't adressed to the mods : YOUR UPGRADE IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi Sabin:

Like you, I HATE it too. I have my Windows display set to 140%, which I need because of my relatively poor eyesight, so you can imagine how large everything looks.

In any event, if you haven't done it, I encourage you to click on the HELP menu, and then "Submit Feedback" and click on the the "Firefox made me sad" link (who thinks of this stuff!) to post your two cents. Tell all your disgruntled friends and co-workers to do the same.

If they get flooded with "Firefox made me sad" comments about how sad Firefox made everybody, maybe they'll put it back the way it was, or get depressed or sad, or something.....

BTW, to post on that page, you have to have cookies (including third party cookies) enabled.

O_F
Michael the Narwhal

Post by Michael the Narwhal »

After doing the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx thing, I quickly found like others that it didn't fix everything. After reading all the additional hoops I'd have to jump through to get everything to display correctly again, I just decided downgrade to Firefox 21. Not too shockingly...everything displays nicely again :D.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ins ... of-firefox

Downgrading should never be the easiest way to get a piece of software to do what you want it to. I'm hoping Mozilla fixes this display bug in the near future so I can re-enable updates. I've been a loyal Mozilla user for many years, but a lot of their recent moves with updates have definitely begun to make me highly consider other options:
*Thunderbird menus getting "improved" in Windows (aka made inconsistent with other applications by default)
*Replacing Adobe Viewer with their own (inferior) one
*"Firefox now follows display scaling options to render text larger on high-res displays"
...just to name a few

I don't know what's been driving all these "enhancements," but I'm hoping they cut it out fast; proper display and ease of configuration is what brought me Firefox in the first place, and the lack thereof with recent updates is ironically what's driving me away.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi Michael the Narwhal, at some point, you probably will have to upgrade again. The straightest line to a Firefox 21-sized display in Firefox 22+ is:

(1) layout.css.devPixelsPerPx change = 1.0 and
(2) Theme Font & Size Changer set to 15
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Give this a try:
Right-click on the Firefox-shortcut, "Properties", select "Compatibility" and check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

I don't understand the annoyed posts at all. By setting higher DPI, you get everything in higher DPI, so everything is larger. Isn't that what you want?
gone
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I guess since I run Windows at the default 96 dpi (100%), I don't see anything different than what it was before, even with that layout.css.devPixelsPerPx value set to -1.0.

Even so, about 6 or so of my extensions that I have installed are to undo UI changes that Mozilla has made in Firefox.

The latest thing that kinda freaked me out was how FF22 handles the file input tag now in forms cause I wasn't expecting it and there's really no mention of it in the release notes.
Aquifex

Post by Aquifex »

I wanted Firefox to look as much as possible as it did before version 22, so what I did was this:

1. Enter about:config in the adress bar
2. Go to layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
3. Change the value to 1.0
4. Install the add-on Theme Font & Size Changer
5. Change general font size to 14

To me, Firefox now looks pretty much as before - not as big and bloated as with v22's adaption to Win7's 125% size increase and not as tiny and illegible as with general size 1.0