Seamonkey 2.19 zoom problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
NotQuiteDead

Seamonkey 2.19 zoom problem

Post by NotQuiteDead »

Help ... this new version has defaulted every web page I visit to 120% zoom.
I have to click "view" and change zoom from 120% to 100% every time I visit a web page.
This is terribly annoying
Why has this defaulted to 120% zoom in this new version?
and how do I change the default for all web pages back to 100% like previous versions of Seamonkey?
vazhavandan

Re: Seamonkey 2.19 zoom problem

Post by vazhavandan »

Turn "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" to false in about:config and change it once and it will get applied to all webpages
NotQuiteDead

Post by NotQuiteDead »

Thank you!
It would be nice if the developers would let us "non technical" users know when they change a "default" and how to fix it!
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

NotQuiteDead wrote:Thank you!
It would be nice if the developers would let us "non technical" users know when they change a "default" and how to fix it!

Do you read the Release notes, before you start complaining?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

WLS wrote:

I feel this comment is not warranted - only a "techie" would do that on a regular basis, I frequently do, but also did not notice this change. Now that I am aware of it, I'll have to see what its impact is for me.

I don't think users should have to read release notes for a program that chooses to update itself every few weeks.

We appreciate that this valuable program is being developed and maintained largely by volunteers, and most people probably don't even realize this is totally a user forum, where questions are rarely answered by developers.

However, people who feel like asking questions should feel welcome here, and not be told to "read the manual". Nobody does that anymore.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

NotQuiteDead wrote:Thank you!

Per page zoom setting have been implemented way back when 2.1 was released http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.1/
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Rob_S wrote:
WLS wrote:

I feel this comment is not warranted - only a "techie" would do that on a regular basis, I frequently do, but also did not notice this change. Now that I am aware of it, I'll have to see what its impact is for me.

I don't think users should have to read release notes for a program that chooses to update itself every few weeks.

We appreciate that this valuable program is being developed and maintained largely by volunteers, and most people probably don't even realize this is totally a user forum, where questions are rarely answered by developers.

However, people who feel like asking questions should feel welcome here, and not be told to "read the manual". Nobody does that anymore.

They should, they learn things. :-"
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

NotQuiteDead wrote:Why has this defaulted to 120% zoom in this new version?

Even with site-specific zoom there shouldn't be a change just by updating from 2.17.x to 2.19, especially not for every page as stated. Thus, something might have broken the content-prefs.sqlite database in the profile given that there is no default zoom as such (if unspecified, it should always start at 100% for a site unless zoom.minPercent or zoom.maxPercent won't allow that).

As for the Release Notes, it sure would be nice if everybody reads them when updating, but many do not, or only after something unexpected happens. In this case, no mentioning about any zoom issues, and I'm not aware of any changes here other than a core change of the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx preference setting. It defaults to -1.0 (automatic) and caused unexpected increases for Firefox users, setting it to 1.0 manually resolved those issues. Maybe that's what you are running into, but that shouldn't be visible in the View > Zoom menu.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

See viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2721899 for a representative Firefox thread on oversized fonts after the recent update there.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

I sure am glad I saw this thread because I was wondering about the screen zoom, too. I use FireFox at work and noticed the difference there, too. So, I figured when I saw it in this latest version of Seamonkey, I was not too surprised. I'm just glad this glitch is easy for us non-techs to fix.

One question...Now that I set it to "false", do I have to redo it with each version update...or does it remember the fix?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Whenever you change a preference from its default that value will be stored in the profile and used even if the default for that preference should change in the future. Thus, no need to revisit this with each update unless the underlying preference is replaced with another one (which also happened in the past, but then some migration code may take care of mapping the old to the new preference for you).
Chaa006

Post by Chaa006 »

RSX11M : the firefox link provides a solution for text fonts, but has a very adverse effect on the fonts used to display (for example) the location bar, the tool names, the tab headings and so on; all are now almost unreadably small.

Similarly the fonts used in the e-mail client for everything other than the message text are adversely affected (similarly unreadably small).

Philip Taylor
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Sorry, but I don't see that problem myself, thus cannot really comment to a solution other than pointing to the respective discussion in the other thread.
NotQuiteDead

Post by NotQuiteDead »

I tried restoring back to 2.17.1 and it, like all versions before it works fine and when I checked the "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" setting, it was default set to true and my default zoom was at 100%. I reloaded 2.19 and the same problem occured. All web sites are at 120% zoom unless I set "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" to false. Something has changed in this new version ( at least on my computer with my 64 bit version of windows 7).
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

NotQuiteDead wrote:I tried restoring back to 2.17.1 and it, like all versions before it works fine and when I checked the "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" setting, it was default set to true and my default zoom was at 100%. I reloaded 2.19 and the same problem occured. All web sites are at 120% zoom unless I set "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" to false. Something has changed in this new version ( at least on my computer with my 64 bit version of windows 7).

you could try the setting specified in this post
viewtopic.php?p=12931949#p12931949
Though the value of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx is -1 it is not impacting Linux :)