how do i make firefox quit (Command + Q) by clicking the X

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jasonfodor

how do i make firefox quit (Command + Q) by clicking the X

Post by jasonfodor »

How can I set firefox to quit (the equivalent of pressing Command and Q on a mac keyboard) every time I click the red X on the window?

When I click the red X it doesn't quit firefox, it just x's out of window and if i try to clean cookies, etc. it says "firefox is running). But I don't like hitting Command+Q because some times I have multiple programs up and have to make sure it quits firefox instead of another program. Just use to hitting X.
dfoulkes

Re: how do i make firefox quit (Command + Q) by clicking the

Post by dfoulkes »

When I click the red X it doesn't quit firefox, it just x's out of window and if i try to clean cookies

Assuming that we are talking about just having one window open when you hit the X ... then Firefox should close... at least within a few seconds... if it's not then it may be an extension hanging it up. I use the X all the time and my Firefox never hangs up... so, yours shouldn't either... See if it hangs up while...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
...this is a testing procedure only and not to be used for normal browsing.

On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.

(option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* Disables Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Also...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

Also... how are you clearing out cookies? ... you mention that you do that after Firefox closes.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
jasonfodor

Post by jasonfodor »

If you click the red X and click (command and Q), both of them closes the window and looks the same. The problem is if you hit red X it doesn't really close the firefox program, it just closes the window. So if you try to clear cookies it will say "firefox is running, please quit the program first".
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

jasonfodor wrote:If you click the red X and click (command and Q), both of them closes the window and looks the same. The problem is if you hit red X it doesn't really close the firefox program, it just closes the window. So if you try to clear cookies it will say "firefox is running, please quit the program first".

Does not work that way for me... "if" I have one window open and click the X ... Firefox closes (it takes a few seconds to do that due to cleanup) ... and, the process is not longer showing in my Task manager... A problem extension can cause Firefox to hand on close.... also, here is another doc. about some things that may point to the issue.
Browser will not start up - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Also, I noted some tests above ... did you try any of that?

And, it sounds like you are using some "outside" of Firefox to clear cookies... is that correct?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Hitting X in Windows closes the program, usually.
Hitting X in OSX only hides the window but leaves the program running, usually.
That's how the systems roll.
gone
willarson

Post by willarson »

Never used a Mac so not familiar with its command structure. On my FF, X marks the spot. If you want to be sure it closes...maybe try Menu Bar - File - Exit. Alt - F4 will also close everything in windows. On Mac it says Option - F4.

PDF link for keyboard shortcuts on Mac (osx). Hope it helps www.makeuseof.com/downloads/firefox-shortcuts-mac.pdf
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can get MR Tech Toolkit beta which has a setting that allows closing all child windows when the main window is closed. The only way to guarantee that is to close the underlying process, which is what that does. It will want to install into Firefox, so you have to allow that.
http: mrtech.com/extensions/toolkit.xpi
martyvan

Post by martyvan »

I have Firefox set to clear everything on exit. I "X"ed Firefox before a virus scan and my AV found 118 tracking cookies...and I have not used any other browser since Phoenix 0.2, so they are not from another browser. "X" does not eXit. This issue does persist on Windows 7, Linux (Mint), and Android--latest update (57.01 64-bit). Using the menu to shut down the program is NOT intuitive for those of us who have been "X"ing for 30 years.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
You're replying to a thread that died in 2013.

Thanks...... but please check the date before posting.

Locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)