Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Ihmemies

Re: Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Post by Ihmemies »

TwoCables wrote:Yeah, but Mozilla could just say "Let's get rid of it because most people don't even know it's there". Then they'll be the first browser (that I know of, at least) to have removed it. Then, as pointed out earlier, they'll probably also say "Let's just trust that someone will make an extension for it".

This is the design motto of the Firefox team and I think it's about as ignorant as it can get. But I just have to deal with it since other browsers are even worse.
RMT25

-

Post by RMT25 »

-
Last edited by RMT25 on August 29th, 2016, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

RMT25 wrote:is there a "undo close tab" bug filed? the option to choose it is grayed out and i can't click it...

i'm on the july 1st build of UX Australis

No bug here on XP... WFM on the July 5 build
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Now, session restore is completely broken

[*]#889206 [Firefox:Session Restore]-Session restore fails. [Lin]
[*]#889711 [Firefox:Tabbed Browser]-recently closed tab not in history, not restored with Ctrl+Shift+T [All]
[*]#890421 [Firefox:Session Restore]-[Session Restore]"Don’t load tabs until selected" is broken, The contents would not load after select the restored tab. [All]
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Alice0775 wrote:Now, session restore is completely broken

[*]#889206 [Firefox:Session Restore]-Session restore fails. [Lin]
[*]#889711 [Firefox:Tabbed Browser]-recently closed tab not in history, not restored with Ctrl+Shift+T [All]
[*]#890421 [Firefox:Session Restore]-[Session Restore]"Don’t load tabs until selected" is broken, The contents would not load after select the restored tab. [All]

Wow, and all caused by [Session Restore] Don't collect state right after startup when restoring the initial session <-
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=887394

Perhaps 887394 should be re-opened and set as BLOCKING ?

Will be totally unacceptable to have that merge into m-c and destroy hundreds/thousands of Nightly users Sessions...

EDIT: oops, its already in m-c Nightly's... hmmm my seesions are restoring OK, so far...
I don't use pinned-tabs, or do I have 'load when pointed at' enabled...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ihmemies wrote:
TwoCables wrote:Yeah, but Mozilla could just say "Let's get rid of it because most people don't even know it's there". Then they'll be the first browser (that I know of, at least) to have removed it. Then, as pointed out earlier, they'll probably also say "Let's just trust that someone will make an extension for it".

This is the design motto of the Firefox team and I think it's about as ignorant as it can get. But I just have to deal with it since other browsers are even worse.

Actually, it's even worse than that. If you ask Mozilla why they don't make tutorials or try to make finding how to use features more obvious, they'll come back with the response "we try to make Firefox features 'discoverable'"... which means they expect you to click on every possible button and try every possible key combination to figure out how something works. So from the very beginning of the cycle they actually HIDE features and then later complain that no-one is using them and axe them. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is largely political... one person doesn't like something, so they don't bother to show people how to use it, and then later cite it's lack of use as a reason to get rid of it. If it's something that mysteriously the devs think is the COOLEST MOST AWESOME THING EVER, like Personas, then you can't go anywhere on a Mozilla site without being bombarded by it. Even if there isn't actually anyone maintaining the code... #-o
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
RMT25

-

Post by RMT25 »

Last edited by RMT25 on August 29th, 2016, 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwoCables

Post by TwoCables »

It still clears my clipboard of anything I copied in UX when I close it. I can copy something from Notepad, close UX, and my clipboard still has those contents. It's only what I copy from UX that gets cleared when I close UX.
Signature removed by Dartman
kgbme

Post by kgbme »

Guys, this 'Australis' thing.. Has landed on my screen. I can't control it, need my Firefox back. Please fix, remove, kill, destroy. Oh and don't forget to fire, whoever was in charge of creating it. Tnx.
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

kgbme wrote:Guys, this 'Australis' thing.. Has landed on my screen. I can't control it, need my Firefox back. Please fix, remove, kill, destroy. Oh and don't forget to fire, whoever was in charge of creating it. Tnx.

Give this a try:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Thread for the extension is here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2773133
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

I'm still reading on page 3 (so if you want me to respond just send me a private message) though I decided to share my GUI...
Extremely large image/s.

I just updated my nightly build and it's still completely messed up. I'm not sure what the point of a nightly build is if they don't commit things to the nightly since there is also the Aurora and Beta builds.

No one has to agree with the way my GUI is though what is important here is that we all should be able to customize our GUI the way we need and want.

I've dealt with the bull with Mozilla for years and they simply don't care about the people using the browser. I was pretty certain it was supposed to be the people's browser. [-(
Last edited by LIMPET235 on November 28th, 2013, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large image/s reduced to preserve the forum layout.
Here to mostly fix the browser's broken GUI. I maintain the Fixed Firefox website to share the things I've confirmed work.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

UMmmmm JAB,

Please keep the images to around 800 x 600 or so, so as not to break the forum layout.
Ta mucherly.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:
MattN wrote:Where are people getting the idea that third-party themes won't work with Australis?

Their eyes? Their brains? What themes have you tested on UX?

Frank Lion wrote:
MattN wrote: That is not a goal of the project and since most of the changes are to Firefox's default theme, it will have minimal effect on existing third-party themes.

Ill-informed drivel, by someone who I can tell has never coded either.

viewtopic.php?p=12775139#p12775139

viewtopic.php?p=12775865#p12775865

viewtopic.php?p=12778169#p12778169

So, sabret00the and JayhawksRock, would you two like to explain to this forum why 6 weeks after the official Australis Release, that most of the third party themes that existed before it have still not been updated to work with Firefox 29?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)