Is Private tab feature available in SeaMonkey?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
vazhavandan

Re: Is Private tab feature available in SeaMonkey?

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't know anything about how shortcuts work in Linux world, but the idea is that you create a new shortcut to load the second profile. So if your original shortcut is this:
...\seamonkey.exe
to load the profile manager you copy that shortcut and modify it like this:
...\seamonkey.exe -p -no-remote
then once you have the new profile setup, you add it's name to the end:
...\seamonkey.exe -p -no-remote newprofilename

Cool,thanks.I will try that out
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't know anything about how shortcuts work in Linux world, but the idea is that you create a new shortcut to load the second profile. So if your original shortcut is this:

...\seamonkey.exe

to load the profile manager you copy that shortcut and modify it like this:

...\seamonkey.exe -p -no-remote

then once you have the new profile setup, you add it's name to the end:

...\seamonkey.exe -p -no-remote newprofilename

It is easy in Linux . All we need to do is create two text files with relevant profile names(Test and Default are my profile names) and add the relevant commands(seamonkey -p -no-remote default, seamonkey -p -no-remote Test) into them and then make the text files executabe files using commands "chmod 700 Default" and "chmod 700 Test".
We are essentially opening SeaMonkey using two profile which don't share data between themselves . Hence they don't share the sessions. Cool concept:-)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

FYI, for the default profile, you do not need any of the flags.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:FYI, for the default profile, you do not need any of the flags.

I realised that when i was copy-pasting. Is there a downside to it if we use it in both launchers / shortcuts?
patrickjdempsey

None that I know of.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
CMonkeyBloke

Post by CMonkeyBloke »

vazhavandan wrote:
CMonkeyBloke wrote:What's the difference with a 'private browsing mode' & just denying cookies & then clearing everything (cookies, history etc) afterwards? I never really use private browsing so it's never been an issue for me.

Since SeaMonkey shares the sessions across tabs i cannot connect to the other server unless i clear my session through (Edit==>Preferences==>Privacy & security)

I see.
therube

Post by therube »

Is there a downside to it if we use it in both launchers / shortcuts?

Only that if an external app attempts to open your browser, you will be prompted to open yet another browser session. IOW, it will not see the two -no-remote opened sessions.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

therube wrote:
Is there a downside to it if we use it in both launchers / shortcuts?

Only that if an external app attempts to open your browser, you will be prompted to open yet another browser session. IOW, it will not see the two -no-remote opened sessions.

will test that out.Thanks
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Firefox has announced according to this url per-window-private-browsing-coming-to-firefox-20
Will this feature make it to SeaMonkey?
patrickjdempsey

Considering that that relies on all of the other private browsing components working first (3 years late), I would doubt it unless someone throws a whole bunch of time into making it happen.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Considering that that relies on all of the other private browsing components working first (3 years late), I would doubt it unless someone throws a whole bunch of time into making it happen.

and a it takes rigorous testing too as it may mess with the profile data etc and people will start losing hair immediately
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

I confirm that private browsing can be used through https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... ivate-tab/ in latest version of SeaMonkey
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You can get a Private Browsing window in SM 2.19 with File > New > Private Window or Ctrl+Shift+P. This feature was initially introduced in SM 2.18 already, but as that release had to be skipped due to hardware issues, now comes with the most recent release (still considered "experimental" but should work reasonably well).
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

rsx11m wrote:You can get a Private Browsing window in SM 2.19 with File > New > Private Window or Ctrl+Shift+P. This feature was initially introduced in SM 2.18 already, but as that release had to be skipped due to hardware issues, now comes with the most recent release (still considered "experimental" but should work reasonably well).

Any reason private tab has not been implemented https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... ivate-tab/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

SeaMonkey ported whatever Firefox did, as far as I can tell. Thus, unless Firefox implemented private tabs and not just windows, SeaMonkey won't have it either. Since the API seems to exist, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a later version of either application (or SeaMonkey adding it on its own given the minimalistic UX philosophy of Firefox), but it means work and "someone" has to do it (and you cannot simply take the code of an add-on verbatim for both technical and licensing reasons, so there is a bit more involved).