change textbox highlight color

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Kevin Jones

change textbox highlight color

Post by Kevin Jones »

Hello,

Is it possible to change highlight color in textboxes? It seems that the themes that I have looked at never do that, even with white text. Is that because it is not possible?

If it is not possible, can anyone tell me why?

Thanks,

Allasso
Frank Lion

Re: change textbox highlight color

Post by Frank Lion »

Allasso wrote:Hello,

Is it possible to change highlight color in textboxes? It seems that the themes that I have looked at never do that, even with white text. Is that because it is not possible?

If it is not possible, can anyone tell me why?

Thanks,

Allasso

Yeah, it's possible. Which textboxes were you thinking of, urlbar or something?

There's no real reason why we don't change them, but just let them default to OS system default. Question has never come up before really.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Allasso wrote:It seems that the themes that I have looked at never do that, even with white text.

It sounds to me like you are talking about Personas and not REAL themes. Most themers building real themes are careful to make sure all text is legible. However in Personas, there is only one text color, which is then used for the whole "skin". It's one of the many rather silly problems with Personas that could have been fixed my making the Personas files about 1Kb bigger.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

Wow, I'm really sorry, I hadn't noticed these replies. Apparently my email notification has been turned off.

patrickjdempsey wrote:It sounds to me like you are talking about Personas and not REAL themes. Most themers building real themes are careful to make sure all text is legible. However in Personas, there is only one text color, which is then used for the whole "skin". It's one of the many rather silly problems with Personas that could have been fixed my making the Personas files about 1Kb bigger.

No, I am talking about real themes, Nasa Night Launch being one of several. However, I just discovered that this is the case only on Mac, I hadn't checked on Windows before. eg, on Mac, the themes I am referring to all use the default highlighting.

Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, it's possible. Which textboxes were you thinking of, urlbar or something?

There's no real reason why we don't change them, but just let them default to OS system default. Question has never come up before really.

How do you do that? I suppose I can start dissecting a Windows theme that does that, but a synopsis, pointers to APIs, or whatever would be appreciated.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The only real hope is to find a theme that DOES do this and then *hopefully* the author put the code in searchbar.css. I'm guessing it requires a moz-appearance:none! and then custom code.... like everything else with dark themes.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/