Nightly -> Get the findbar back down to the bottom

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Nightly -> Get the findbar back down to the bottom

Post by joeg »

Just in case some of you missed this, in the thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2729381, Aris kindly posted an edit for the userChrome.css file that will get the findbar back to the bottom. It works in both the 32 and 64-bit Nightlies.

Code: Select all

*/
.browserContainer > findbar{
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 10 !important;
}
/*
Since the findbar relocation hasn't moved beyond the Nightly yet, I guess it's premature asking for someone to turn this into an extension.

Having said this, though, the fact that https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=893013 has been marked WONTFIX, suggests it might be time for someone who knows how to start thinking about it. :!:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Caspid

Re: Nightly -> Get the findbar back down to the bottom

Post by Caspid »

I'm having trouble finding the reason for moving it to the top in the first place...
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Caspid wrote:I'm having trouble finding the reason for moving it to the top in the first place...
You're certainly not alone, but it's another one of those "nobody asked you" decisions the devs seem so fond of lately.

If you have the time and interest, please read through the comments to the bug I've cited above. It reveals the "logic" (and I use the term loosely here) behind the concept.

The most recent of the comments as of this moment (made by "randyzie") sums up a lot of people's opinions, but of course they're just opinions.

randyzie 2013-07-18 07:59:55 PDT
(In reply to Mike de Boer [:mikedeboer] from comment #10)
> Thank you for your understanding.

What understanding? You're making another stupid UI decision, what else is there to understand?
Last edited by joeg on July 18th, 2013, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Sanni

Post by Sanni »

Caspid wrote:I'm having trouble finding the reason for moving it to the top in the first place...

I really like new position of find bar, all relevant controls in my setup (pretty similar to default one) are on the upper part, so bottom placed find bar was out-of-place.
Aris

Post by Aris »

JoeG wrote:Since the findbar relocation hasn't moved beyond the Nightly yet, I guess it's premature asking for someone to turn this into an extension.

It will be part of my extension to revert some ui parts once Australis lands on nightly channel.

Although I don't like almost all GUI changes they did after Firefox 7, placing findbar on top is the first one I can live with.

My guess on this is to have less differences between Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Somewhere in the near future: Firefox 3x-4x = Chrome 4x = Opera 2x.
No reason to use any specific browser anymore, if all of them look, feel and do the same.

Offtopic
After all changes they made I still cannot understand why such ui changes are not optional and why they do not provide two or three default themes like in Seamonkey (-> Seamonkey modern / Seamonkey default).
I bet most users would be happy to decide between Fx4-7 theme, Fx14-2x(pre Australis) theme and the upcoming Australis ui (where most ugly ui changes are from).
Last edited by Aris on July 18th, 2013, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

If you use the find as you type option having the page shift down in order to accommodate the find bar on top is disconcerting. Perhaps it should just overlay what is there instead of shifting the page, that's what having it on the bottom does.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

streetwolf wrote:If you use the find as you type option having the page shift down in order to accommodate the find bar on top is disconcerting. Perhaps it should just overlay what is there instead of shifting the page, that's what having it on the bottom does.

If they can get this done it won't be near as bad..
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=777525 <from the bug comment #32
joeg

Post by joeg »

In the name of choice, here's a contribution that was made to the page where I filed the bug regarding the findbar.
Pache 2013-07-18 13:55:26 PDT
Thanks for sharing that code! I added a small customization to it.

*/
}
.findbar-closebutton {
  margin-right: 1400px !important
}
.findbar-textbox {
  width: 30em !important;
}
/*
Looking a lot better now.
Thanks to Pache.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@JoeG
In case findbars close button should be on the left:

}
.findbar-closebutton {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
  margin-left:-8px !important;
}
.findbar-textbox {
  width: 30em !important;
}
.findbar-case-sensitive {
  margin-right: 1400px !important;
}
StyleThing

Post by StyleThing »

this no-restart addon makes the whole experience much better
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... bar-tweak/
Firefox Release | Win8.1 x64 | AMD 6300 4Ghz x6 | AMD R9 270 2 GB for 1080p IPS | 4 GB RAM
joeg

Post by joeg »

StyleThing wrote:this no-restart addon makes the whole experience much better
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... bar-tweak/
Thanks. The feature I really like is "typing Ctrl+f again closes the findbar."
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Aris wrote:Although I don't like almost all GUI changes they did after Firefox 7, placing findbar on top is the first one I can live with.

I'll second that,of all the annoying/disruptive changes coming with Australis (lack of the addon bar comes to mind first),moving the find bar on top looks like a smart one-frankly,I've moved the find bar on top a while ago,either using an userChrome or an addon.

Aris wrote:After all changes they made I still cannot understand why such ui changes are not optional

And I'd agree with this even more:why such changes have to be imposed? Why can't we have toggles in the GUI or at least preferences in about:config for the find bar,the addon bar and the likes?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

TheVisitor wrote:
streetwolf wrote:If you use the find as you type option having the page shift down in order to accommodate the find bar on top is disconcerting. Perhaps it should just overlay what is there instead of shifting the page, that's what having it on the bottom does.

If they can get this done it won't be near as bad..
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=777525 <from the bug comment #32

Probably because I don't use the Find function very much, I don't find this change all that upsetting. In fact, it may make more sense since most other things like toolbar buttons and the address/URL bar are at the top, why shouldn't the Find bar be there, too? If they can make it like the graphic linked to above, so much the better. 8-)
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

malliz wrote:Your link is borked Ray try
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=893446#c32

I think TheVisitor linked intentionally to the graphic and not the comment. I only posted my thoughts, but thanks anyway. =D>
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi