SeaMonkey Mail Notification

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
uberzuber

SeaMonkey Mail Notification

Post by uberzuber »

Trying SeaMonkey for the first time (coming from ThunderBird).

One thing that I am not a big fan of is the teeny tiny green + beside an account to indicate it contains unread mail. I cannot see this on my laptop with squinting. Thunderbird changes the color of the name of the account making it very easy to quickly see which accounts have mail. This one "feature" is enough to drive me back to TB. I just can't handle having to open each and every account just to see if it contains new mail.

Is there a setting maybe that will change this?
rais

Re: SeaMonkey Mail Notification

Post by rais »

. I just can't handle having to open each and every account just to see if it contains new mail.

Is there a setting maybe that will change this?

no need for manual checking. Seamonkey can do it automatically; but you have to set it up, one time.

you can list in one folder, the New mail folder, all the new mail that there is anywhere
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search
Last edited by rais on July 20th, 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

uberzuber wrote:Thunderbird changes the color of the name of the account making it very easy to quickly see which accounts have mail.

You can create a userChrome.css style override for this:
  1. Locate your profile folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\SeaMonkey\Profiles\random.default\).
  2. Create a new folder chrome within the profile folder (if it doesn't exists yet) and enter it.
  3. Create a new file userChrome.css in it with a simple text editor (e.g., Notepad).
  4. Put the following code into it:

Code: Select all

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, biffState-NewMail, isServer-true),
    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, newMessages-true),
    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, specialFolder-Inbox, newMessages-true) {
      color: blue !important;
    }
  5. Restart SeaMonkey to see if it takes effect.
The first line colorizes the server/account entry, which is what you want; the second line addresses any folder with new messages; the third line addresses new messages for the Inbox folder only. You can exchange "blue" for any other color you like (e.g., Thunderbird on Windows should use #0000EE by default, which is a slightly darker blue).
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

@rsx11m>> the blue works well to ID accounts with new mail in them. I don't know how long it stays, or if it lasts to the next restart of SM. We'll see.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I think it shows the blue color for the account as long as you don't enter one of its folders and/or read one of the new messages. In contrast, the folders stay blue as long as there are still messages with "new" status around.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Not necessarily true. I sent a new message to one of my accounts and left it as 'new'. The blue stayed as long as the client was still open. I closed the things out and when I opened it again, it was back to black. To me that means the message is no longer seen as being new. This is the same action as the star in TB. It goes away if TB is closed, then re-opened.
Having said that, the colored account name is a good thing for SM mail. Especially for us OF's that don't see that well anymore. So thanks for the code!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, the star probably follows the same set of rules as the colorization does. Closing the application also removes the "biff" icon from the taskbar, so that's consistent with the blue color being removed as well.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy rsx11m,

is the folderNameCol item required? i left it out to see what it did and saw no changes ... what is it _supposed_ to do?

take care,
lee
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Hi Lee - not sure, I was simply following what Thunderbird does:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/sou ... ne.css#220 (for qute/WinXP)
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy rsx11m,

i tried it with tbird, too. no result that i could see. i expected it to limit the effects to the "name" column, but even without the folderNameCol item, only the "name" column is changed.

oh, well, things are complicated ... [*grin*] thanks for the info!

take care,
lee
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

That code works in both TB(2.0.0.24) and SM Mail(2.19) for me. But it only worked after the restart.
Just for kicks, I installed the latest TB and it works with it as well.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, in general user*.css changes only take effect after a restart (that's the only time they are read).