Pin bookmark to start screen on Windows 8?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
beoenduser

Pin bookmark to start screen on Windows 8?

Post by beoenduser »

I wanted to have a shortcut to the outlook mail webpage pinned to Windows 8's start screen. I know that it can be done for the desktop, but I wanted it on the start screen also.
So, is there a way to Pin a bookmark to the start screen on Windows 8?
I'm using SM 2.17.1
KWierso

Re: Pin bookmark to start screen on Windows 8?

Post by KWierso »

I don't think any desktop browser has that ability. Only the Metro-enabled browsers (Metro IE, Firefox for Metro, etc) can do that.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to tech.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
beoenduser

Post by beoenduser »

What if IE Tab were installed? Would that give SeaMonkey the ability to be pinned on the start screen?
Is there a Metro version of SeaMonkey planned?
beoenduser

Post by beoenduser »

I did it!! I did it!! I finally found a way to pin a shortcut to the Windows 8 start screen!!

Go into:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
Then make a new folder and name it something like "Shortcuts".
Then copy your webpage shortcuts over to this folder.

On the Start screen, go into "All Apps" and find your new folder with its shortcuts. Select each shortcut, one at a time, then choose "Pin to Start".

Your new shortcut(s) will be at the end of the list of apps. Select and drag to where you want it! As long as SeaMonkey is set to be your default browser, the shortcut will open in SeaMonkey!
catbarngal

Post by catbarngal »

Have tried this but when I go to my C drive -- I can't find "ProgramData"! This is a brand new computer and I am still getting used to it. The only folders listed under my C drive are as follows: Apps, DELL, Drivers, Intel, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files (x86), Temp, Users, Windows, RHDSetup

This seems like very few folders that what I'm used to seeing under my C drive on previous computers. Please help!!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

It's a hidden folder. In an Explorer window, select Organize > Folder and Search Options, then go into the View tab. Look for "Hidden files and folders" and set it to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" then ProgramData should show up. That's Windows 7, hopefully still the same (or similar) on Windows 8.
catbarngal

Post by catbarngal »

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!! Windows 8 a tad bit different. There is no "Organize" but there is a "View" tab - and under that is a check box that reads "Hidden Items". I checked that and everything showed up! Thanks again!!
beoenduser

Post by beoenduser »

I almost forgot about this post. I just now got a notice that there were replies.
I found out that I forgot a step!

**Do this First!***
Save a webpage shortcut to your Windows desktop.

THEN proceed with:
Go into:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
Then make a new folder and name it something like "Shortcuts".
Then copy your webpage shortcuts over to this folder.

On the Start screen, go into "All Apps" and find your new folder with its shortcuts. Select each shortcut, one at a time, then choose "Pin to Start".

Your new shortcut(s) will be at the end of the list of apps. Select and drag to where you want it! As long as SeaMonkey is set to be your default browser, the shortcut will open in SeaMonkey!