Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

Post by Frank Lion »

Ratbert wrote:To change the font size in about:config and about:data (Password Manger) you will need to create a userContent.css file in your chrome folder in your profile.

The incontent Addons Manager is probably more often seen than those and that is changed using this -

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("about:addons"){

*{ font-family :bitstream !important; font-size:14px !important; }}

....in userContent.css
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
doogie88

Post by doogie88 »

malliz wrote:Read the thread properly

Read some of it, and seems some say one thing, some say another thing.
Guess I'll just switch to Chrome.
Thanks.
trolly

Post by trolly »

As you wish.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

This popped up as item 4 on the "Hot Topics"-list over at http://support.mozilla.org:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/we ... r-updating
gone
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

The problem (as I see it) is more than just a SIZE problem, fixable in a variety of ways to get things smaller again, to the effective size they were with v21 before all of this change with v22.

It's not just SIZE. It's RENDERING which is what bothers me.

And the difference in rendering is very similar to how text characters will look different (e.g. on a forum post like this one) depending on whether or not "use hardware acceleration when available" is specified in Options. Character rendering looks very different (with my ATI HD5870 video card and Catalyst 13.4) when I have "hardware acceleration enabled" vs. "hardware acceleration NOT enabled".

With hardware acceleration NOT enabled, characters are squarer and closer together horizontally, and the vertical space between lines is less. So the whole appearance is "blockier" and "more dense" (both horizontally and vertically). This is unrelated to the ZOOM number, or what SIZE you start from when you ZOOM + or -. In other words, the characters actually LOOK DIFFERENT with hardware acceleration enabled or disabled.

Well, to me that's how v22 looks... as if hardware acceleration was NOT ENABLED and text characters were now always being rendered by software. I don't know if that's really true, but that's certainly how the characters now look in v22... blocky, and dense.

Again this is not a "size" issue. It's a "quality" issue, with characters LOOKING DIFFERENT, not just smaller or larger.

I've gone back to v21 and will remain there at least until an option is added to FF to allow me an option to choose to display things the way v21 did, or opt in to display things the way v22 currently does. It's a different rendering. Characters LOOK DIFFERENT.
mraxl

Post by mraxl »

Without going into detail about my settings, I have finally gotten FF22 to display properly.
I made the change to the config file.
Installed Theme & Font addon - fixed taskbar size
Installed No Squint addon - fixed text & site rendering size
Unchecked hardware acceleration in Options - fixed text rendering quality

It took several hours of playing with settings to get back what was already there in FF21. Had I not been a dedicated Firefox user, it would have been a new browser choice for me.

A note... I have a dual monitor setup with a laptop & 4x3 monitor. The laptop had significantly poorer text quality than the 4x3.