no password prompt

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jrmnr

no password prompt

Post by jrmnr »

my yahoo mail password was remembered until a few days ago when I changed it, FF stubbornly displayed the old password, so I went to Options Security and deleted it. Now there is no prompt at all and it is annoying to have to type the PW every single time. The safe mode is no better.
lithopsian

Re: no password prompt

Post by lithopsian »

Probably Yahoo is asking Firefox not to save the password. An increasing number of sites do this as a "helpful" security feature.

You can use a bookmarklet to turn this feature off. No doubt there is an addon that turns it off globally, but the bookmarklet is handy since you should really think twice before saving any password on your computer.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is a great little add-on, RememberPass, it does what lithopsian's bookmarklet does automatically without you needing to invoke it. You can always decide not to save the PW when asked. This does not force you to save it; it simply changes the autocomplete from no to yes that is sent from a web site.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I thought that Yahoo Mail ... and, some other Yahoo stuff... maintains passwords (for the most part) in cookies. Anyway, I currently have two yahoo.mail type cookies... along with a ton of others... you might want to get into your Firefox cookies, find those that match us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com and delete them... then visit your mail again and it "should" prompt you (Yahoo that is) to enter your userid and pw...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
jrmnr

Post by jrmnr »

lithopsian wrote:Probably Yahoo is asking Firefox not to save the password. An increasing number of sites do this as a "helpful" security feature.

You can use a bookmarklet to turn this feature off. No doubt there is an addon that turns it off globally, but the bookmarklet is handy since you should really think twice before saving any password on your computer.

excellent!
jrmnr

Post by jrmnr »

dfoulkes wrote:I thought that Yahoo Mail ... and, some other Yahoo stuff... maintains passwords (for the most part) in cookies. Anyway, I currently have two yahoo.mail type cookies... along with a ton of others... you might want to get into your Firefox cookies, find those that match us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com and delete them... then visit your mail again and it "should" prompt you (Yahoo that is) to enter your userid and pw...

it has been solved with the bookmarklet. But just out of curiosity I was trying your solution and did not find any us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com cookie
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

jrmnr wrote:
lithopsian wrote:Probably Yahoo is asking Firefox not to save the password. An increasing number of sites do this as a "helpful" security feature.

excellent!

RobertJ wrote:.
This is a great little add-on, RememberPass, it does what lithopsian's bookmarklet does automatically without you needing to invoke it. You can always decide not to save the PW when asked. This does not force you to save it; it simply changes the autocomplete from no to yes that is sent from a web site.

More excellent :wink:

jrmnr

Post by jrmnr »

RobertJ wrote:
jrmnr wrote:

excellent!

RobertJ wrote:.

More excellent :wink:

Just installed it, excellent of course
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Intelligent people always have a sense of humor. =D>