What Happened To the JavaScript Box in V. 23?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Navigator1

What Happened To the JavaScript Box in V. 23?

Post by Navigator1 »

Image Hello. There has been a change in FF version 23 from v. 22 and before. With previous versions one could go to Tools > Options > Content and you would see a box where you could enable or disable JAVASCRIPT according to your personal tastes and needs. Now, it is missing from this newest updated version. Why?

For one thing, with the previous versions, if you wanted to browse for add-ons or extensions you needed to disable JS if you wanted to see details of the add-ons at the bottom of the page such as the latest version comments i.e., for which browser or TB version it would support, etc. But enabling JS could also allow you to see more information. Now, that important feature is missing and I am wondering why they felt it needed to be removed? In other words, if it ain't broken, DON'T fix it!

Is there an add-on or extension or some other way to return that important feature to Firefox? Some people do not always like to have JS on but many others do but wish to disable it as well when they want and both deserve the chance to decide for themselves with a box to either check for it or uncheck it. Thanks.
"Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding." -- Louis Gerstner
TheVisitor

Re: What Happened To the JavaScript Box in V. 23?

Post by TheVisitor »

See this thread... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2736017
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

The reason for this change is explained in http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill/. If you want to disable Javascript, you can use about:config (javascript.enabled) or NoScript for even better control. There is also a rather lengthy debate here in Bug 873709; although, it is not an appropriate place for a debate/discussion. So, DO NOT COMMENT ON BUGZILLA!

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
willarson

Post by willarson »

Firefox 23 also ships with a Network Monitor tool that allows users to track how long it takes for individual
components of a webpage to load.

Change Log for Firefox 22 for Windows, Mac and Linux:
- NEW: Mixed content blocking enabled to protects users from man-in-the-middle attacks and
eavesdroppers on HTTPS pages
- NEW: Options panel created for Web Developer Toolbox
- CHANGED: "Enable JavaScript" preference checkbox has been removed and user-set values will be reset
to the default
- CHANGED: Updated Firefox Logo
- CHANGED: Improved about:memory's functional UI
- CHANGED: Simplified interface for notifications of plugin installation
- CHANGED: Enabled DXVA2 on Windows Vista+ to accelerate H.264 video decoding
- CHANGED: Users can now switch to a new search provider across the entire browser
- CHANGED: CSP policies using the standard syntax and semantics will now be enforced
- CHANGED: <input type='file'> rendering improvements
- CHANGED: Replace fixed-ratio audio resampler in webrtc.org capture code with Speex resampler and
eliminate pseudo-44000Hz rate
- CHANGED: "Load images automatically" and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from
preferences and reset to defaults
- DEVELOPER: HTML5 <input type="range"> form control implemented
- DEVELOPER: Write more accessible pages on touch interfaces with new ARIA role for key buttons
- DEVELOPER: Social share functionality
- DEVELOPER: Added unprefixed requestAnimationFrame
- DEVELOPER: Implemented a global browser console
- DEVELOPER: Dropped blink effect from text-decoration: blink; and completely removed <blink> element
- DEVELOPER: New feature in toolbox: Network Monitor
- FIXED: Various security fixes

Known Issues

Unresolved-
Moving Firefox to background while playing a flash video in full screen mode and bring it back to view
will freeze the app (see 809055)

Unresolved-
If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash (see 573369)
Navigator1

Post by Navigator1 »

TheVisitor wrote:See this thread... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2736017

ImageHi! I went to that thread but since it is a redirect, I was unable to post comments there as I had wanted. As soon as I arrived at the page I noticed that the top upper right corner where it indicates that one is logged-in and gives you the option to Logout showed that I needed to log back in. But I was already logged-in! So, I logged back in still trying to add my comments there but to no avail. I had to log back in only to be rejected time and time again. It appears to not allow me to post on redirected links. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, I just wanted to let that thread know that again my personal feeling, as was that of others there as well, is that If It Isn't Broken, Leave It ALONE! The Javascript box was not in the way one iota and was not disturbing anything or causing any problems to have had it removed so arbitrarily.

Now, the add-ons that thread offered (that is, the thread just above that you recommended to me) had about three add-ons but one in particular called "Custom Button" called for programming and appeared difficult to program what I need for it to do as there is no explanation as to how to do it, and undoubtedly it will be just as difficult for others as well. We may not always hear from them because not everyone is a member here and those who are may be timid with their responses. The ones we usually hear from are the ones who know how to operate FF without that feature.

But anyhow, after doing a little bit of research, I have come up with two add-ons that work great for this purpose of switching JavaScript On and Off whenever one wants to without having to configure either of the add-ons or having to go to About:Config each and every time to change things and to PROMISE THAT YOU'LL BE CAREFUL EACH TIME YOU GO THERE! :roll: They can be installed individually or install both as they will actually complement one another I found out. That is to say, when you switch JS on in one, it will also go on in the other add-on if it isn't already. Conversely, when they are both showing as ON, if you switch one to OFF, they will both go off. I just think having both is like having a "spare tire" in case one blows and you find you will need another! Anyway, for those interested in getting both add-ons (JSOff and/or JS Switch) or only one of them as may be your preference, go to:

JSOff: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... src=search

JS Switch: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... src=search

Hope this can help others who may be having problems with this feature no longer added in Firefox v.23!
Last edited by Navigator1 on August 7th, 2013, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding." -- Louis Gerstner
Navigator1

Post by Navigator1 »

willarson wrote:Firefox 23 also ships with a Network Monitor tool that allows users to track how long it takes for individual
components of a webpage to load.

Change Log for Firefox 22 for Windows, Mac and Linux:
- NEW: Mixed content blocking enabled to protects users from man-in-the-middle attacks and
eavesdroppers on HTTPS pages
- NEW: Options panel created for Web Developer Toolbox
- CHANGED: "Enable JavaScript" preference checkbox has been removed and user-set values will be reset
to the default
- CHANGED: Updated Firefox Logo
- CHANGED: Improved about:memory's functional UI
- CHANGED: Simplified interface for notifications of plugin installation
- CHANGED: Enabled DXVA2 on Windows Vista+ to accelerate H.264 video decoding
- CHANGED: Users can now switch to a new search provider across the entire browser
- CHANGED: CSP policies using the standard syntax and semantics will now be enforced
- CHANGED: <input type='file'> rendering improvements
- CHANGED: Replace fixed-ratio audio resampler in webrtc.org capture code with Speex resampler and
eliminate pseudo-44000Hz rate
- CHANGED: "Load images automatically" and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from
preferences and reset to defaults
- DEVELOPER: HTML5 <input type="range"> form control implemented
- DEVELOPER: Write more accessible pages on touch interfaces with new ARIA role for key buttons
- DEVELOPER: Social share functionality
- DEVELOPER: Added unprefixed requestAnimationFrame
- DEVELOPER: Implemented a global browser console
- DEVELOPER: Dropped blink effect from text-decoration: blink; and completely removed <blink> element
- DEVELOPER: New feature in toolbox: Network Monitor
- FIXED: Various security fixes

Known Issues

Unresolved-
Moving Firefox to background while playing a flash video in full screen mode and bring it back to view
will freeze the app (see 809055)

Unresolved-
If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash (see 573369)

ImageThanks for this information, Willarson. Do you perchance know the code for the add-on called "Custom Buttons" and how specifically one can get their button to switch between JavaScript On and Off? Apparently, there are some people using this add-on and I was just wondering if you knew how to program the code once it has been downloaded?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Navigator1 wrote:ImageThanks for this information,

I was wondering why no image showed in your posts. Found out that the image is hosted on a site in the Russian Federation. I block all unknown sites there along with many other Eastern European and Asian countries known for doing nasty things on the web.

Cheers

MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Navigator1 wrote:Thanks for this information, Willarson. Do you perchance know the code for the add-on called "Custom Buttons" and how specifically one can get their button to switch between JavaScript On and Off? Apparently, there are some people using this add-on and I was just wondering if you knew how to program the code once it has been downloaded?

For that Custom Buttons thing, Make a new button. In the name field I put: "JavaScript on/off". In the Initialization Code tab, I put:

Code: Select all

/*Initialization Code*/
var Title = "JavaScript";
var TTE = "JavaScript Enabled";
var TTD = "JavaScript Disabled";
var prefBranch = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
  getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);

this.onLeftClick=function(event)
{
  if (!prefBranch.getBoolPref("javascript.enabled")) {
    prefBranch.setBoolPref("javascript.enabled", true);
    custombuttons.alertSlide(Title, TTE);
  } else {
    prefBranch.setBoolPref("javascript.enabled", false);
    custombuttons.alertSlide(Title, TTD);
  }
}

this.execute= function(event)
{
   switch(event.button)
   {
      case 0:
         this.onLeftClick();
         break;
   }
}
this.setAttribute("onclick", "this.execute(event);");

I modified the code from their forum at this thread: http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... f=2&t=1097

I mainly wanted something that I could make a toggle button for any true/false preference. So now I can clone this button and just change "javascript.enabled" in the code to whatever preference.
Navigator1

Post by Navigator1 »

MarkRH wrote:
Navigator1 wrote:Thanks for this information, Willarson. Do you perchance know the code for the add-on called "Custom Buttons" and how specifically one can get their button to switch between JavaScript On and Off? Apparently, there are some people using this add-on and I was just wondering if you knew how to program the code once it has been downloaded?

For that Custom Buttons thing, Make a new button. In the name field I put: "JavaScript on/off". In the Initialization Code tab, I put:

Code: Select all

/*Initialization Code*/
var Title = "JavaScript";
var TTE = "JavaScript Enabled";
var TTD = "JavaScript Disabled";
var prefBranch = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
  getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);

this.onLeftClick=function(event)
{
  if (!prefBranch.getBoolPref("javascript.enabled")) {
    prefBranch.setBoolPref("javascript.enabled", true);
    custombuttons.alertSlide(Title, TTE);
  } else {
    prefBranch.setBoolPref("javascript.enabled", false);
    custombuttons.alertSlide(Title, TTD);
  }
}

this.execute= function(event)
{
   switch(event.button)
   {
      case 0:
         this.onLeftClick();
         break;
   }
}
this.setAttribute("onclick", "this.execute(event);");

I modified the code from their forum at this thread: http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... f=2&t=1097

I mainly wanted something that I could make a toggle button for any true/false preference. So now I can clone this button and just change "javascript.enabled" in the code to whatever preference.

ImageThank you, Mark! I surely appreciate your answer! Obviously, this is code not too many folks out there would know to program in order to get that add-on to work for that specific purpose. Thanks again! :D
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

PrefBar has a button built-in to toggle Javascript:

http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seriously?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Lassar wrote:I am very seriously considering going back to firefox 22.

Security Advisories for Firefox

Fixed in Firefox 23

MFSA 2013-75 Local Java applets may read contents of local file system
MFSA 2013-74 Firefox full and stub installer DLL hijacking
MFSA 2013-73 Same-origin bypass with web workers and XMLHttpRequest
MFSA 2013-72 Wrong principal used for validating URI for some Javascript components
MFSA 2013-71 Further Privilege escalation through Mozilla Updater
MFSA 2013-70 Bypass of XrayWrappers using XBL Scopes
MFSA 2013-69 CRMF requests allow for code execution and XSS attacks
MFSA 2013-68 Document URI misrepresentation and masquerading
MFSA 2013-67 Crash during WAV audio file decoding
MFSA 2013-66 Buffer overflow in Mozilla Maintenance Service and Mozilla Updater
MFSA 2013-65 Buffer underflow when generating CRMF requests
MFSA 2013-64 Use after free mutating DOM during SetBody
MFSA 2013-63 Miscellaneous memory safety hazards (rv:23.0 / rv:17.0.8)

Not a very bright idea :!:

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Removed all the unrelated complaints since this is a "Support" thread and then unlocked.

patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Navigator1 wrote:The Javascript box was not in the way one iota and was not disturbing anything or causing any problems to have had it removed so arbitrarily.

Actually, it was causing many problems because inexperienced users would take the advice of people paranoid about "security" and regularly disable it and then wonder why 90% of the internet was broken. Experienced users can easily use about:config to disable javascript should they choose, or for better results, use NoScript or YesScript to manage which sites are allowed to run JS.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

So what is the excuse for removing the settings that were still there for javascript permissions and setting them back to defaults? The actions that they block cause major pains.