Tab Utilities revived

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
stux

Tab Utilities revived

Post by stux »

Hi everyone,

I'm stux. I am attempting to take over maintenance of the Tab Utilities add-on and have submitted a version with some of the FF23 fixes from this forum for preliminary review. I hope to, at the very least, maintain current functionality in future releases of firefox.

The new version, called Tab Utilities Phoenix, can be found here:

A few things about myself and this release:
  • I am a regular tab utilities user and as such, I am strongly motivated to see this add-on remain under active development.
  • I am new to firefox extension development. Please bear with me as I learn the intricacies of add-on development.
  • I also have a full-time job that is my primary focus. I will only be able to respond to the most pressing of matters as time allows.
  • This is a preliminary release using fixes from blackwind and "soin at windpr dot tw". I tried to keep only the changes necessary to keep the add-on working as it has in the past. I also fixed some minor bugs. As of today (2013-08-24), the add-on is still awaiting review.
  • As stated above, my primary goal is to maintain existing functionality. However, I do plan to refactor the code to gain a better understanding of its inner workings and hopefully fix some bugs in behavior.
  • This is a Preliminary release. Once I've set up a test plan and become more comfortable the code I will submit it for Full release. I hope to be able to do that by the time FF25 or 26 are released.
  • FF17-20 are not supported. For the time being anyway. The fixes break backwards compatibility. Since existing solutions (1.5.1 and 1.6pre3) work fine, I have deemed backwards compatibility to be a lower priority.
  • I have not set up testing for the alpha channel and do not have plans to do so in the immediate future.
  • Chinese support will be minimal. I am keeping the existing chinese translations but since I do not speak chinese (nor do I have a human translator handy), any new text will be written in english for the time being. Update: I was pointed to a service called babelzilla and along with the existing TU Locales translations, I plan to provide more comprehensive language support in the future.
  • I will not be supporting Tab Utilities Lite in the immediate future. I only plan on maintaining a single code base. If a "Lite mode" is technically feasible I will work towards that end, but please be aware that this is a lower priority item. Please use the full version of the add-on for the time being.

I have only done cursory testing on FF23 and 24 beta 7. At the very least preview and grouping work, as well as the options window and some basic tab menu items. I will have a better idea of what features do work once I develop a comprehensive test plan.

Please provide contructive feedback regarding compatibility with newer version of firefox.

Thank you very much,

-stux
Last edited by stux on September 20th, 2013, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
max2

Re: Tab Utilities revived

Post by max2 »

Thank you for supporting the continuation of Tab Utilities. I thought it was done with. Right now I have the Tab Utilities installed that previously fixed the issues and works with Firefox 23 but will install yours soon.
fire.Man

Post by fire.Man »

THANK YOU!!!

i'm sure many others will find their way here to say the same

were you able to confirm what may have happened to ithinc?

i understand you're new to FF extension development - just out of curiosity, do have coding experience or are you starting entirely from scratch?

thanks!
fire.Man

Post by fire.Man »

first 'bug' :)

<em:minVersion>23.*</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>24.*</em:maxVersion>

install.rdf looks ok to me (not that i know what i'm doing), but TU won't install on 23.0.1 -- "...not compatible with Firefox 23.0.1"
Banditz71

Post by Banditz71 »

GREAT! Thanks Stux! =D>
Richard H.
max2

Post by max2 »

fire.Man wrote:first 'bug' :)

install.rdf looks ok to me (not that i know what i'm doing), but TU won't install on 23.0.1 -- "...not compatible with Firefox 23.0.1"

Knew there was a reason I waited and using the other fixed Tab Utilities by the Chinese community! Hope to use this one soon.
stux

Post by stux »

fire.Man wrote:first 'bug' :)

Ah! I thought I had got that straightened out! #-o

I'll upload a new version with minversion set to "23.0" sometime today. I'll try to see if I can make it so that I don't lose my place in the queue.

Thanks for posting this issue fire.Man!

-stux

----
Update: I have uploaded a new version (1.6pre7) with the correct minVersion (23.0).
askme11

Post by askme11 »

Thank you for continuing support of the Tab Utilities add-on. I was sure we had reached the end of the line, great to see it live on. :)
blackwind

Post by blackwind »

Cheers, stux! Keep up the great work!
/bw (Author of Reload Plus)
Penbwlch

Post by Penbwlch »

Well done, stux. It works perfectly. It is a great relief having someone take over this extremely important extension. I wish you a long, happy and successful ownership.
molio

Post by molio »

Thank you for continuing support of the Tab Utilities.

Please maintenance Tab Utilities Lite.

Please do not say use the Tab Utilities Lite custom edition.
Custom edition is useless and buggy.
(There is a bug in the toolbar and Unnecessary features is attached.)

Thank you very much,
stux

Post by stux »

molio wrote:Thank you for continuing support of the Tab Utilities.

Please maintenance Tab Utilities Lite.

Please do not say use the Tab Utilities Lite custom edition.
Custom edition is useless and buggy.
(There is a bug in the toolbar and Unnecessary features is attached.)

Thank you very much,

Hi molio,

Sorry, forgot to mention this in the release but I didn't have immediate plans of supporting Tab Utilities Lite and I was going to point people to the full version. Once I became familiar with the code, I'd be able to look into the Lite version. I'm sorry if that causes an inconvenience. That said, please take note of the following update:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR ALL USERS:
It was brought to my attention that ithinc posted a note mentioning a September release just prior to my announcement:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-utilities/reviews/496568/

I have contacted ithinc and I am waiting for a reply. I may alter my development plans depending on what happens. In the meantime I will leave the add-on up on the site just the way it is right now and won't take down anything.
fire.Man

Post by fire.Man »

well, apparently he's still breathing :)

he hasn't answered emails from myself and at least one other - that, combined with the fact that it hasn't been updated in a long time led several to believe something may have happened to him or that he just abandoned it
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

de localization for german folks
locale tabutils de chrome/locale/de/

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98rwe32pw1fb5la/

based on 1.6pre7 and previous translations

HTH
molio

Post by molio »

Thanks stux
I appreciate the reply.

stux wrote:Once I became familiar with the code, I'd be able to look into the Lite version.

I will look forward to this statement.
Given that the firefox is updated to Australis, I want to maintenance of more than one.

If possible, I want to continue to your maintenance.

I looks like ithinc can not afford to maintenance.
In the same words in May, he could not be executed.
Then, His topic is locked and cannot to post.

My English if it is unnatural, I'm sorry.
Thank you.